Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the time has come where my brembos are being worn down, I called a couple of dealerships in my area (Mississauga), and they claim its going to cost $999.95 to service them, or it will be $387.xx to buy 2 front pads and $48x.xx for EACH rotor. Any recommendations where I can potentially find atleast cheap brembo blanks and even buy a set of Hawk brake pads atleast? I might as well go with parts that are better than oem if I'm going to fork out that much no?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A brake service generally doesnt replace the pads and rotors. A brake service is just a cleaning, adjusting and inspection of the brakes.

How do you figure you need new pads and rotors? Unless you drive very hard and/or track the car, the original pads and rotors should be good for a few years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My front passenger pad is worn down to the point where its grinding against the rotor..I only noticed it the other day when I heard it, and upon inspection the rotor has a indent from the worn out pad grinding against it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well, if the rotor isnt damaged too much, it can be resurfaced. Hawk HPS pads should be about $150 for the front pair.

Seems odd that 1 pad would wear down that fast and damage the rotor. Maybe there is something wrong with it. Bitch at your dealer and maybe they might warranty it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking to do that too because I also found it a bit odd. Incase that fails, any recommendations? Maybe online vendors?

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking to do that too because I also found it a bit odd. Incase that fails, any recommendations? Maybe online vendors?
Dude, it's a pretty "normal" service price for the Brembos..I asked a quote (for shits and giggles), they said 2000$ front, 1600$ back, and that's pads and service only...NO rotors.

The front OEM pads from the dealer go for 440$ for both sides, the rotors go for ~500$ each...

The back pads go for ~390$ and the rotors are ~460$ each

I LOL'ed so hard my sides where hurting.

It cost me 140$ for hawk pads, took about 30 minutes to replace them myself, much easier than "standard" brakes to service, and yet Hyundai charges you through the nose for it...

I talked about it with my salesman, and we agreed this is all market placement and we came to the conclusion that even @ those prices, there will be people buying them from Hyundai along with the outrageous service prices.

So for the 25-50% that will go aftermarket, there's a good 50% that will have to bite the bullet and pay up because they don't know better or don;t have the opportunity to do it themselves...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, it's a pretty "normal" service price for the Brembos..I asked a quote (for shits and giggles), they said 2000$ front, 1600$ back, and that's pads and service only...NO rotors.

The front OEM pads from the dealer go for 440$ for both sides, the rotors go for ~500$ each...

The back pads go for ~390$ and the rotors are ~460$ each

I LOL'ed so hard my sides where hurting.

It cost me 140$ for hawk pads, took about 30 minutes to replace them myself, much easier than "standard" brakes to service, and yet Hyundai charges you through the nose for it...

I talked about it with my salesman, and we agreed this is all market placement and we came to the conclusion that even @ those prices, there will be people buying them from Hyundai along with the outrageous service prices.

So for the 25-50% that will go aftermarket, there's a good 50% that will have to bite the bullet and pay up because they don't know better or don;t have the opportunity to do it themselves...
lol I figured this was the case, Hyundai may have brought in a new car in their new segment, but doesn't mean the owners are all noobs willing to buy into their bs:hsugh:, stupid dealers...I'm just looking for parts to buy, currently looking at genracer.com for 1 replacement rotor and new pads for the front/rear, which is looking to be about $350 with shipping.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Well, if the rotor isnt damaged too much, it can be resurfaced. Hawk HPS pads should be about $150 for the front pair.

Seems odd that 1 pad would wear down that fast and damage the rotor. Maybe there is something wrong with it. Bitch at your dealer and maybe they might warranty it.
If you're under 12000miles/1 year it's under warranty BTW. And yes if the Pad is worn down on 1 side, you have enough ammo to get them to replace the rotors and pads, even if over 12000miles, since it could be a faulty Caliper, which is a no-wear item.

This happened on my 1st brand new Mazda Protege. Driver side front pad was eating @ the rotor after only 13000km, and they were arguing about the fact it wasn;lt under warranty, blablabla...

But when I told them that if he takes out the other side and it's not worn equally, then it's either 2 things, 1) Bad pad (which can happen) or 2) bad caliper(which happens too).

In my case, we saw part of the pad fall down on the floor when they took it out, so it was pretty obvious what was wrong, the pad was bad, had cracked and wasn't making proper contact with the rotor.

But only from the fact that it isn't worn equally makes it a warranty issue, and they can't argue with that.

BTW you HAVE to argue and make your point with the dealerships, because like everything else it's a business and they are trying to make money every way they can.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I just called my dealer for shits and giggles and asked how much the brake service was. $159 plus for the front and rear to clean/lube/adjust them. Thats actually pretty cheap. My Honda with its normal brake is about the same.

Im sure Nextmod can get Hawk pads for cheap and avoid the hassle of ordering them online.

xtreme how many k's on your car?

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
I just called my dealer for shits and giggles and asked how much the brake service was. $159 plus for the front and rear to clean/lube/adjust them. Thats actually pretty cheap. My Honda with its normal brake is about the same.

Im sure Nextmod can get Hawk pads for cheap and avoid the hassle of ordering them online.

xtreme how many k's on your car?
Well depends on how you see things...Did you look at how your Brembos work and how they are made?

No adjustment possible @ all, the caliper is bolted tight to the strut and no other parts move aside form the piston ins the caliper. you can't lube the piston since it's actually inside the caliper, and like I stated there's no "slide pin" to lubricate since the brembo caliper is not a floating type caliper. So basically you are paying 159$ to have them take the wheels off and spray brake cleaner on there...

Also if you look around the DIY for the brembos, you would see that replacing the pads is easier than installing a CAI....Unbolt wheel, tap out 2 small pins, pull out pads, put new in, put pins back in, bolt wheel on...

Also I would look for replacement pads locally, I did and was able to get the pads for the same price as online, but in CND$ and no shipping charges.

·
///H Power
866 Posts

·
///H Power
866 Posts
PS service the brakes yourself its super easy, there's a walkthrough on "H M A S e r v i c e .com". I did the non-brembo brakes in 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you decide to replace rotors you might want to check out R1Concepts sale going on atm. I know you're looking for something local but these prices are great. $365 USD + $90 shipping to the GTA for all 4 rotors. Your choice of slotted/cross drilled or both slotted and cross drilled. Way cheaper than the dealership option, unless of course you can get them to replace under warranty.

http://www.gencoupe.com/r1-concepts-inc/54668-r1-concepts-genesis-coupe-limited-time-rotor-brakes-sale.html

Even have a group buy going on atm for an even better price.

http://www.gencoupe.com/havoc-motorsports/54889-havoc-premium-drilled-slotted-rotors-group-buy.html

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
If you decide to replace rotors you might want to check out R1Concepts sale going on atm. I know you're looking for something local but these prices are great. $365 USD + $90 shipping to the GTA for all 4 rotors. Your choice of slotted/cross drilled or both slotted and cross drilled. Way cheaper than the dealership option, unless of course you can get them to replace under warranty.

http://www.gencoupe.com/r1-concepts-inc/54668-r1-concepts-genesis-coupe-limited-time-rotor-brakes-sale.html

Even have a group buy going on atm for an even better price.

http://www.gencoupe.com/havoc-motorsports/54889-havoc-premium-drilled-slotted-rotors-group-buy.html
Thanks for linking that for us!! Its actually 365 + 35 for shipping :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car has about 28000km on it, thanks for all the replies. As mentioned above, uneven pad wear would make it a warranty issue, I'm going to stop by Burlington Hyundai (where I bought my car) and see what they say. If that doesn't go so well, I'm probably going to buy the pads locally and buy the rotors online.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts