Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I purchased a used sfr stage 1.5 tune used from a member on the forums. To start my car is a 2013 2.0t (at) the only other mod I have is the r2c intake and the one step colder plugs. My question is, I keep seeing everyone that installs a tune keeps saying it’s like a night and day difference. With my tune I didn’t notice a difference in performance at all. I actually just had to put my stock tune back in this afternoon as I have to take my car to the dealership in the morning and I drove it around after putting the stock tune back in and it’s the exact same as with the 1.5.
When I tuned my 1.8t Jetta that was like having a new car as everyone describes on the forums the tune for the gen coupe does and I just don’t see (or feel it I should say) am I missing something?

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
755 Posts
Does the throttle response feel different at all? That's the first thing I noticed when I put the 1.5 in. A light tap of the gas and it was ready to go compared to the lag on the stock ECU.

The guy may have given you a crappy tune? Who knows. Have you tried the key dance? Besides that, all I can tell you is to dyno and see what your numbers are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I purchased the tune I sent a few pm’s on here to jay at sfr and he confirmed that it was flashed for the 1.5 tune.
I actually just took my car to the dealership this morning to get my rear bumber painted, different story for a different day, with the stock ecu in it and throttle response and performance feels the same. Im just confused how almost all of what I read on here is that after the tune it feels like a new car, (I’m not calling out jay or sfr) and it feels no different for me. I would love to get it on dyno but there aren’t any near me.
With the tune, sitting at a stop with t/c turned off and taking off wot should the tires spin or chirp? I can not get the tires to break loose at. Just confused I guess lol

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
755 Posts
The wheels chirp when I WOT from a dig. When you put your tune back in.. put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and floor it. If it passes 6500rpm, it should be working as it should. Another way is if you have a aftermarket boost gauge, check how much boost there is (around 18-20psi while stock is 14ish).

Or you just have the need for speed and can't tell the difference on your own lol. I noticed a small difference but I wouldn't say "it's a new car"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate you responding to me. It very well could be the need for speed lol. I feel I may be comparing it to the tune I had on my Jetta years back that did make it feel like “a different car.” I have the AT transmission so I believe the rev limiter stays at 6500 rpm. I don’t yet have an aftermarket boost gauge..that is on the list (along with many other things)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 2013 2.0t at and I noticed the difference after installing my sfr 1.5 tune.
The longer I run the tune the more aggressive the car feels. I've had it for a few months now.
Maybe you're looking for massive bumb in hp or tq but it's a canned tune plus your car is automatic and the gains are less.
I'm extremely satisfied with the tune I'm running from sfr in fact all my friends that ride along with me notice the difference too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the tune for a good 2 years now. I don’t push the car very hard all that often so I’m not sure if That has anything to with it has I’ve read they “learn” how you drive. I think it just might be a case of I was expecting to much. Hopefully on Monday when I get my car back and throw the tuned ecu back in I’ll notice after having the stock one in.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The wheels chirp when I WOT from a dig. When you put your tune back in.. put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and floor it. If it passes 6500rpm, it should be working as it should. Another way is if you have a aftermarket boost gauge, check how much boost there is (around 18-20psi while stock is 14ish).

Or you just have the need for speed and can't tell the difference on your own lol. I noticed a small difference but I wouldn't say "it's a new car"
I felt the same going from stock to stage 1 as well. The pedal response is better at low RPMs and you can reach full boost before 175 degree oil temps. As for performance I feel like I gained about 10whp max. Torque comes on smoother. I have my logs of before and after, stock boost was 19 psi. Tuned is 20.5 or so. Its not that much of a change without other upgrades in reality. The new A/F ratio isn't that great either. Still mostly 10.3 to 10.9 at full boost. Timing only changed by 2 degrees but i guess that's ok (8 to 10 degrees advance). Main problem I feel is likely the intake temps always being 110 to 140°F in the summer with city traffic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah I'm feeling the hotter intake temperatures as well in Jersey. I'm debating on going aftermarket ic to maybe help cool temperatures down.
My theory is it's not necessarily how hot the air being sucked into the intake but how it's cooled being forced through the intercooler. I'm probably wrong but I think the ic and pipes have alot to do with it.
Makes the engine feel a bit more sluggish when temperatures are hot outside.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could be right. I thought the stock IC was fine for this car and just the temp sensor location (wherever it is) sucks. I even in the winter intake temps stayed between 80 and 100 when it was 40 degrees out. Even a bad intercooler wouldn't be that inefficient, even so im considering a new one, and maybe meth injection since I had cylinder bank temps near 1600 degrees yesterday after 2 quick pulls. Oil and coolant temps still never went above 180 though even after an hour of city and then hard highway driving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could be right. I thought the stock IC was fine for this car and just the temp sensor location (wherever it is) sucks. I even in the winter intake temps stayed between 80 and 100 when it was 40 degrees out. Even a bad intercooler wouldn't be that inefficient, even so im considering a new one, and maybe meth injection since I had cylinder bank temps near 1600 degrees yesterday after 2 quick pulls. Oil and coolant temps still never went above 180 though even after an hour of city and then hard highway driving.
I run a Sri and my temps during winter never reach the 80's. I'm also automatic and I never get on it too hard due to me being on my second engine. I really think heat is a major factor for these engines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I'm feeling the hotter intake temperatures as well in Jersey. I'm debating on going aftermarket ic to maybe help cool temperatures down.
My theory is it's not necessarily how hot the air being sucked into the intake but how it's cooled being forced through the intercooler. I'm probably wrong but I think the ic and pipes have alot to do with it.
Makes the engine feel a bit more sluggish when temperatures are hot outside.

Your theory is right it's the crappy stock Ic that suffers from heat soak during hot days, when your rolling in traffic or sitting still in traffic with the ac on or off doesn't matter. I noticed this happening quite a few times on my Bk1 while doing normal city driving I have fbo's but I'm still running the stock Ic. Once you upgrade your Ic it will never heat soak even if you flush it hard over and over "IF" your running a quality core, btw I have a Txs Fmic brand new never installed for sale pm me if your interested. I notice what works for me is when I'm at a stoplight I simply turn off the car for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on, as soon as the light turns green I flush the car and it feels like you just hit yourself with a 100 shot of nitrous that instant boost kicks in hard also because I'm running a Prw Stage 1 tune lmao 😂

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks Big Ballah. I figured the stock piping + the IC itself soak, just don't know how much. If I do highway driving for 30+ minutes the temps do finally drop back into the low 100s while cruising. I'm debating whether to save up for a big upgrade or drop a couple thousand on getting a water/meth system installed and tuned for it. They help regardless of ambient temps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts