Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok now that I have some sleep and I am more awake I will try to pen out a better review here. I will try to start from the beginning to give everyone an idea of what is involved in the process.

When I saw that Jay had finally gotten everything that he needed to do the re-flash I immediately contacted him to setup an appointment. To my surprise he was able to get my car in that day which worked out well. It was about a 100 mile drive down to his shop in West Chester. When I got there I met Andy first (nice car by the way......loved the tire and rim combo) then shortly after Jay arrived. Also k H young showed up as well. That was a sight. 3 Bathurst Blacks and a Nord Gray in the same place. After some pleasantry's we went into the shop and he showed me there demo car. That was when I knew these guys knew what they were doing. Shortly there after they began to get everything setup. They took the ECU out of my car and got right to work. My car was first and initially the immobilizer did give us some trouble. After a second re-flash the car then fired up. Then came the fun part the first drive.

Andy came with me and the first thing I did was to turn off the traction control and floor it. The power right of the line was a big difference. The car jumped as soon as I hit the gas. Not that it never did before but there was a definite improvement. I made a right onto the main road and the rear end broke loose instantly. The rpms shot right up and the car shifted into 2nd before the end slide out. I put the car into sport mode and tested to make sure that everyting was working as it should. Shifted on command and cruise control all functioned. Drove around for about five minutes and it was just amazing that the car just seemed eager to jump. The second you would hit the throttle the car pulled forward. Got back to the shop and the only thing I could say to Jay was wow.:D

I stuck around for a little bit and saw h k young take his car for its first run and when he came back he had a grin from ear to ear.

On the drive home I felt a huge improvement in the car as well. As h K young has said the car just felt more eager to accelerate. It jumps right up and pulls hard throughout the entire RPM range. It felt very linear and consistent in its acceleration. At 60 MPH and in 6th gear the car pulled very hard. Stomp on it hard on the uneven payment and the traction control was kicking in alot.

All and all this is probably one of the best mods I have done for my car. And let me tell you what impressed me. It wasn't the tune by itself but just Jay and Andrew themselves. At no time did they pressure me and the repeatedly said that if you don't like it or you don't feel a difference we will give you your money back. They are backing this with a 3 month money back guarantee. I know alot of people have been burnt with the NSPP and the ever inconsistent butt dyno but this is the real deal.

Unfortunately I do not have access to any dynos up by me but I will most likely be seeing Jay in a few weeks again to have some runs done down by him. I will get some vids up as soon as I can but this is something that you have to feel to believe. Like Jay said it is hard to put into words. If any in NE PA wants to test out my car PM me. I am more then happy to give you a test drive. So now my car reads like this 3.8 Bathurst Black ZF AT Track/w Navi, Injen CAI, Magnaflow Catback, and SFR retune.:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since kwd114gen already posted his thread about his reflash, I shall do the same. Jay and Andrew wanted a base auto because it comes with a key and not a push start like Kerry's car. As he has said the throttle response is SOO much better. The pedal has gotten really sensitive and even a slight tap and I feel power.

The reflash gets rid of the speed limiter, raises the revs. I need to double check because I feel like I was pretty close to 7k. No dyno yet, hopefully I can get one soon. The power delivery is amazing. 60-80 is 6th gear seemed so effortless. The needles seem to go up with a lot of ease basically. I would recommend this mod to everybody. :D

Just a little teaser...I was going uhh pretty fast and the car seemed like it could just continue to climb but I had to slow down for the car in front of me. I'm still so damn happy about it.

Great work by SFR and great people that work there. :bigthumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm one of the guys who came in today to have the reflash done by Jay.

It took literally 5 minutes to reflash it and I was back on the road in about 30 minutes after I test drove and they re-assembled.

I compare it to this.. I came from a stock Honda Civic, and the first time I drove the GC I got whiplash from tapping on the gas peddle and how quick the car went through the gears. It was an amazing feeling. After a year of driving the GC, everyone gets used to how the card drives. With the reflash, the car feels like a new animal again. I took off from the SFR parking lot by just tapping the gas peddle. Went out on a local highway and the car went through the gears real quick and I was at 90 by the time a looked down. Crusie control works fine unlike "other" reflashes too.

I have the RRM intake and this thing sounds like a beast under the hood. Throttle response is the biggest improvement I can see right off the bat. If it wasn't 107 outside, I'd turn the air off and really have some fun the the TCS totally off. In due time :)

If anyone is by the Jersey shore, I'd be glad to let a member drive my car.

Let me know if anyone has questions. Thanks again Jay and it was great to meet you.

I never bought the NSPP, so I can't talk about them. I know what I feel and that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from PA for the ECU Reflash. Met Jay and gotta say he's a real down to earth and nice guy. He waited for me to arrive on a day he is normally closed.

I don't have a lot of seat-time driving my GC (2800 miles and bought it in January 2010), so my impression is the miles I have driven stock, versus driving the 100 miles back home with the reflash.

Since I bought the GC, I have never liked the way the car takes off under hard accelleration and the way the power was delivered...felt very powerful but the way it got to speed was not fluid (not sure many people will understand what I mean).

After the reflash, the power felt very linear all the way up to 130 MPH (had to slow down). This is how the car should of felt straight from the factory...its like a Service Pack for the ECU.

I'm very happy I got the reflash and would recommend it for anybody that has a 3.8 A/T...you won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shipped the ECU from my manual 3.8track on monday afternoon, SFR got it tuesday, did the re-flash, sent it back.

I got it around 11:00 am this morning and put it back in which took about 2 minutes..

First of all I have to say Jay at SFR was amazing and responded right away to all my messages and the customer service was perfect. Everything was super quick!

Now on to the re-flash..

Words can't even describe how different the car is.. It's a whole different animal now. The throttle response is amazing, the car feels AMAZING. Even the gear changes became so much smoother at high revs than before. I can't wait to track it now and get a sweet quarter mile time :D

Overall it is just AMAZING.

I will be getting my car dyno tested again very soon and will post the before and after results but I am SURE the gains will be nice :)

Removing and re-installing the ECU was very simple with the Youtube video Jay provided and I recommend this re-flash to anyone with a 3.8!

Big thanks to Jay and SFR!!

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Model: 3.8 A/T Track /wNav

This reflash is nothing but full of holy crap mother of........ goODNESS?!? :eek:

Before anyone say anything, this is just current impression and no there's no dyno from me, yet.

Yes took a roadtrip 150mil (~3hr) from Chantilly, VA up to SFR shop to have mine reflashed today on my 3.8 Track A/T with push-star button. On the side note, I got to see Jay's in progress car and I must say I want to trash everything I have and steal his and put over to mine:D. Aside from that the reflash took only about 30min and oh boy, I thought I just relive the day I first test drive the GC. Mind you that GC is my first real *performance car*. (The Cobalt I used to have I didn't do anything to it since I have slightest interest in modding back then, plus I was a college student with empty pocket).

After putting the ECU back into the car, I took a test drive with Jay in it around the block or two and the throttle response is simply amazing... even now I'm still trying to get use to the new instant response of the throttle the moment I press my foot down, even slightly. Again, I am very new at modding a car and especially anything electrical/engine-performance-wise, but I can feel the differences between the stock and the reflash. The stock throttle takes it's time to response quite slow, but with reflash, the instance that I put my foot down, the car dashes right away, just like whipping your horse into dashing mode :p.

Since the reflash doesn't affect the TCU on for the A/T and RPM, but I could definitely see the RPM skyrockets very quickly and drops very quickly while driving compare to when I was driving on stock. Oh not to mention when I tried to floored it on a small highway, my RPM goes into 6k so quick it made me giggle lol. But sadly there were too many cars around and the road was underpaved so I could only get it up that high, but it would definitely hitting the new max rev limit 7200 if I keep flooring it.

Overal the car response to the footing on the pedal is so much better and quicker now, and like Jay and others said, I now find it a lot more fun to drive my A/T. And I'm sure if I know how to drive manual, it's definitely going to be a hella fun time.

Also, we checked all the cruise control, traction, and what else... suddenly it's gone from my mind... but all those things, they all worked perfectly as if the ECU was never touched. Oh and when driving now, the car sounds a little louder, could it be due to the increase in tq? not sure, but it's prob placebo effect :D.

--------

So right now the car driving is definitely feeling like when I just bought it off from the lot... still trying to get use to it (but loving it though :p)... and I tripped several time too already, one was test driving and I tripped during 2nd gear or was it first when I was making a turn? Jay saw it I wasn't paying attention lol.

Though it's only my first day of driving and back then for NSPP, it didn't start crapping later on... so I will keep an eye out and see if anything go wrong later. But I'm sure that it won't, and I have 3 months to test it out before I can get my full refund so we'll see.

Too much useless typing up there^ lol. Tried to put down as much as I could *since again, I'm not a pro at car's performance etc... still extremely new*. I'm sure the people that have got the reflash can chime in or do their own feedback and tell you guys better on it. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D
Jay did a great job re-flashing my M/T Track even though it was a very recent build with different coding in the ECU. I have much improved throttle response and the car pulls strong all the way to the new 7,200 rpm redline.

I haven't had it on a dyno since the flash, but I believe that i will see some real improvement. Even if the dyno numbers don't improve much (which I am sure they will), just the throttle response and increased redline --oh, and no more rev-hang made the flash well worth the price.

Truly responsive and professional service. I'll post the dyno chart here next week.

Rick:point::point:

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just got my re-flash today, I have never had my car on a dyno, I have never timed my car, all I can say is WOW! How can people toss down $200.00 to $1500.00 on mods because someone says it adds 50 HP without batting an eyelash. But someone gives you a description of everthing a mod does and you need more info. The money I spent on this mod was worth it just to have better throttle response. The traction control being off 100%, the higher RPM, and the added HP/TQ are icing on the cake. This is well worth the money and the car pulls so much harder I smiled all the way home.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well boys and girls the reflash is in. I've had some time to run it through it's paces. Here are my mods:

-ARK Full Exhaust (Headers,Downpipes/OEM Secondary Cats/Cat-back)
-Grimm P&P
-Injen CAI
-2.0 Diff. 3.9 gear
-RRM Pulley
-SFR Reflash

I'm sporting an innovate wideband A/F gauge so I'm able to see what's going on. First off, the throttle response is greatly improved and alone worth the 350 I paid. The car should have come from the factory this way! The motor runs much more smoothly and revs freely now without any hesitation. With the 3.9 gear and impoved throttle response the car leaps off the line now!

SFR has clearly done there homework. The fuel is trimmed in all the right areas. For mid RPM, A/f is right at 14.0/1 which is consistent for max torque. On the high end I'm getting 13.0 to 13.2/1 which is near perfect for max power. All in all this tune is 92% perfect when it comes to A/F, as good as your gonna get without a custom tune.

Next week I'll be posting video showing a 0-60 run. You'll be able to see RPM, MPH and A/F during the pass.

This is hands down the best mod I've ever done for this car! The car pulls like crazy through the whole powerband. Watch for the video, you'll see. 120 comes quick now!! Dyno is soon to follow, just need to find time.

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts
Wow that's a lot more feedbacks then I thought there are :D. Great product and I AM still enjoying this new feeling :)

*hope to get my chance on that MS shadow bumper/side lip and now rear lip as well (MS) and the pulleys soon (maybe in 2-3 months :p).

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CAR:
Genesis Coupe 3.8 A/T Track w/ Navi (Push Button Start)

Performance MODS:
Grimmspeed P&P and Ceramic Coat
K&N air filter w/ charcoal filter removed
RRM Crank Pulley
System Upgrade Water-pump and Alternator Pulley

Duration of ECU Reflash:
7 Days (since July 10, 2010)

To start off. Jay at SFR is one cool guy. I wasn’t able to make it on a week day but still wanted the Intro Pricing (deadline July 11, 2010), so I talked to Jay @ SFR about it and he was more than willing to accommodate me for a Saturday visit (July 10, 2010 about 100mile drive). First impression of Jay is that he is a genuine guy. You can tell his top priority is customer satisfaction. Before my ECU was reflashed he tried testing the reflash out with another ECU on my car. Unfortunately it didn’t work. The push button start is a real biatch. The reflash process takes about 5 mins but the visit took about an hour. Before permanantly re-flashing the ECU (meaning reflash and sealing up the ECU for good) Jay suggested taking a test drive to make sure all of the fucntions of the car still worked correctly (i.e. cruise contrl, manual mode, paddle shifters, trip calculator, etc). I have to say at first I didn’t feel a difference. It was raining soo much that day that I could not really get a feel for the re-flash except for the fact that I was spinning my tires left and right (TCS OFF of course). But I was doing this on my way up to the SFR shop with base factory ECU (TCS OFF of couse). At that point I asked Jay if there was anyway to verify the re-flash. We both got in the car sped up to around 10mph popped it in Neutral and revved the engine all the way to 7200rpm. The car made music to me ears. Jay assured me that if I had any problems that I had 3months to get a full refund. My old ECU data would be saved in the SFR database just in case. When all was said and done, (handshakes and farewells) I almost left without paying SFR for the reflash. I had to actually stop to let Jay know that I still had not paid for the reflash. Which tells me that Jay cares more about customers satisfaction then about money.

SFR Reflash in Dry Weather:
The next day was sunny,beautiful and dry. I really cant add much more to what noob123 wrote. The car feels amazing. Throttle response is phenomenal. I have a hard time not chirping the tires off the line. When I do chirp the tires and follow through with ample throttle input, the car acceleration is so swift. I can definitely notice that there is an increase in HP and TQ. Although that is with my Butt Dyno.

If you want to see a real dyno with load go to link below.
http://www.gencoupe.com/media/40492-sfr-sfr-3-8-v6-reflash-video.html

Aside from the increase in HP, TQ, throttle response, RPM limit (7200) and Max Speed (limit removed. All of the rest of the car functions work 100%. The power delivery is very linear and predictable. And the way SFR re-seals the ECU is a work of art. Dealership would never tell that the ECU was tampered with. SFR reps had to actually get trained on the process of re-sealing the ECU. The training definitely paid off. Jay even conducted a OBDII scan just to show everything checked out OK. Which is probably what the dealership would do as well. Again dealership would never notice through OBDII scan since everything checks out.

I am 100% satified with the reflash. At a cost of only $350 this was definitely the most bang for my buck mod I did so far. I kind of feel like I ripped off SFR. But even at $600, with the info and experience I have know, I still think it is well worth it, especially over and exhaust or intake or even combination setup. I’ve modded cars (mazda3) in the past with exhausts, intakes, headers, intake manifold, etc. But this single mod makes my butt dyno smile more than the others (not combined, combination of exhaust, intake, headers and intake manifold was amazing but cost me thousands). From my experience with my mazda3 I’ve learned that exhausts and intakes alone are not that much of an increase. Just increase in noise. I’m trying not to do that with this car.

I can’t wait until the performance cams are out. With my experience with the reflash, I’m confident that SFR’s performance cams are going to be awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, my name is Richard and I am Canadian from Prince Albert SK. I don't plan on making a lot of posts in here, I joined for one specific reason and that is to give some feedback on the reflash I received from SFR. First of all I want to say thank you to the people that post on this site. This is my first post but I've been a avid reader since March of 2009 when I bought my coupe and it's been very helpful in guiding me on some of my mods (AEM-CAI, Manaflow Catback Exhaust, SFR 3.8 Reflash).

Now down to business, the reflash. I'm not very articulate and I'm not an ace when it comes to grammer or spelling. So, for the more educated crowd you'll just have bare with me, maybe try sounding things out. The two words that I spit out during my test drive were WHOOOLLY F**K!!!:D:D:D:DI could not believe the throttle response and increased torque that I felt immediately. I'm not talking 50 + FT LBS of it, but it did put me back in my seat and no I didn't have my ass dyno on or any other dyno for that matter. All data was compiled by actually driving my reflashed car, nothing scientific about it but f**k was it fun.

I understand some of the hesitation people may have after taking it dry by another vendor on this form, regarding product claims and customer service. Jay and SFR have been nothing but straight up with me right from the very begining. Responding to every e-mail I sent out and even contacting me by phone at one point when I was unsure if they had received my funds. It was after that phone call and how Jay carried himself on the phone that I was able to relax. For me, customer service is huge. If a product is what the manufacturer claims, it will speak for itself. Its' when the product falls short that I, as a consumer, am at the mercy of the seller and their beliefs and values regarding customer service. I do know I will be a repeat customer based seoully on SFR's customer service. Thank you Jay.

Just one last thing. These comments are my 2 cents nothing more and were not ment to offend anybody in anyway. Life's to short to hang onto ****. I hope everybody has a great weekend driving their cars. For my brothers who have had the reflash done, we will just have to drive them a little harder and a lot faster. :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Last Friday, Slider and I made the trek to Montreal for the SFR meet to get our cars reflashed. I have put about 2100 kms on the car since the relash and I am quite impressed with how much it improved the car. I have no dyno numbers and likely never will, basically because peak numbers are meaningless to me. So here are my thoughts:

On the initial test drive as soon as you input some throttle you will instantly realize something is different, the car is gonna lurch ahead cause you just gave the same amount of throttle you used to have to. NOT ANYMORE!!! LOL... Throttle response is instantaneous, you're gonna have to learn to launch all over.... As for feel, it feels a lot stronger. I can now roll into the throttle at 15kms and the rear steps out. Putting big grins on my face. Fuel economy doesn't seem to be affected, which is great.

All things considered, the reflash was well worth it. Jay and his crew are top notch, the reflash is well worth what we paid. I would definately do it again....

Now it's time to get it to the track and see how low she can goooo.......

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today was another one real good day! First I met Jay and his team, they are really good to meet them in person and not only but email or on the forum!

They start with my car and they do a custom tune on it! The result on the Dyno was very positive, 19hp/25ft-lb more than the original run with the stock ECU. Here the result! For the price, this will be very very good result.

Unfortunately, with the traffic I couldn’t try more the car, but the first feeling is regarding the throttle “WOW” the answer is now faster, more really more aggressive and sensitive regarding the stock flash! I was needed to relearn how to shift again! ;)

I don’t have time to try it more than that! But if I don’t do my road trip next week, I will return to Napierville for sure to compare my old time with this new setting! I believe to have time in 13s now!

For all those who don’t know yet if they want the reflash, Stop thinking and do it! You won’t be disappointed about it! And Jay wants you really happy, so you need to try your car before you paid him for the mod. I assure you that you don’t loose on that deal!
Keep you posted with the drag result soon!

Again, big thank you to Jay at SFR and his team! :bowdown:

UPDATE

Now with Video

Before
YouTube- ‪SFR - Before‬‎

After
YouTube- ‪SFR - After‬‎

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can back what has been said. I was there and I got my car reflashed also.
:bowdown: . I have a total different car :woah:

Jay and his team are great ! They answered all the questions a doughts we had. To explain what changes it did on my car ( stuck in traffic also) before I would have a lag when stepping on the gas. Now I have to hold it from spinning :p

I have a 3.8GT auto. It is a well spent upgrade. I was going to have my car dino'd but needed to go ! I really think that I will have better 1/4 mile times for sure. Will try to beat my 13.92 before upgrade.

Again they are pro's. And they work with a smile :) Click picture for SGAUCHER VIDEO

Thanks to SFR team and Chag Motorsport !

Sorry should have taken a picture of the SFR team :(

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to go pick up springs didnt know anything about the flash. Walked by a bunch of genesis coupes. Thought it was a meet. They convince me to get it done. A nice guy let me test drive his white 3.8 than i was like damn...Jumped on the band wagon..hahaha throttle response is wicked. Jay andrew, and his team are top notch. :D
Mine was also flashed today and i'm really satisfied. Thanks to Jay and his team, truely nice and honest people. Jay is the man, the gentleman.

About the reflash:
- Power : Sorry I can't give you the so requested before and after numbers, dyno runs were too expensive that day for me, but i can certainly feel an improvement
- Traction control: It's when you see it completely off you understand where it wasn't. With the power gain I did had more wheelspin that i was used to (i always run with T/C off) and I needed to correct the rear a bit more, at first i thought 'what's going on with that rear...' and realised it was probably the T/C
- Throttle remapping : More agressive from the start, need to relearn how to launch but it feels a lot smoother this way
- Impact on shifting : That throttle tweaking did helped a lot on the shifting, every gear change is now perfectly smooth and natural for me (all depend on how you shift for sure, but for me it's now perfect)
- Fuel economy : no impact there, did a ~300km run back home and got the my avg gas mileage.

When you drive it, you see all the little extras adding up, ending being more important than the power gain alone. So stop looking for dyno's and numbers, give it a try. Jay has a pretty risk-free warranty anyway... that you won't need i'm pretty sure. I've seen the light today ;)

It was also very nice meeting some of other Gen owners out there. You guys are having serious cars there, thumbs up to everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for being late to the party! Had a rough week and not much time to be online. First off, I would like to thank the SFR crew for everything they have done thus far. I have had this tune for a little over a month now. This dyno was the first dyno I have done with the flash. Jay, I think you dyno'd my car without the reflash too, I believe. I was around 267ish hp?

I can assure you, that this tune DOES make you faster. *Not to promote any kind of illegal racing* I have done some runs with a friend's stage 2 GTI, he puts out around 300 rwhp. Before the tune, I have lost by ~3-4 car lengths. After the tune, I have lost by 1 at most.

There is power throughout the entire rpm range. The only time I feel loss of power is around redline when the car is about to shift, but I think that's normal for an auto? This car begs to be driven hard and it's so tempting not to give in to that temptation :p

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Met Jay today. He and his crew were great. Like most technically oriented people that I have met throughout my career, they were more concerned with what I wanted, how they could help me and was I satisfied, rather than with making a buck.

I met them at Turbokits.com in Windsorlocks, CT.. The staff at Turbokits was very friendly and took time to walk me around, even though they were involved in tuning a car on their dyno.

The reflash took less than an hour, first to pull, open the case, reflash and remount and make available for test drive, then be pulled again, resealed and reinstalled.

I realize all the chatter about before and after dyno’s and although theirs was in use I had not intended on getting dyno’s done in any event. The car after the reflash was more responsive to the throttle and quicker. Before pulling into the place, I picked a spot in the industrial park and did three or four launches. During the test I returned to the same spot and did three more, breaking the tires loose each time, which I hadn’t done in the previous three or four trys.

I know what your thinking, butt dyno’s are all but useless. For data comparison yes, however, let me say, “that my butt and I have been together for a long, long time, and we have come to rely on one another.” “I trust my butt and I pretty much believe that my butt trusts me, especially since I have gotten it out of some tough situations.” Quantitatively I can’t tell you how much more responsive or how much quicker, but enough that I was satisfied. Had I any feeling of hesitation, I would have had them reflash back to my original program before resealing and reinstalling the ECU. I’m happy, my butt’s happy and perhaps you’ll be happy too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts