Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(DIY) Shift boot for A/T

I've searched for the past hour and haven't really found what I've been looking for, also searched around on ebay/google and other websites.

Idk about you guys but I really don't like the look of the shift knob/surround in the A/T for the gen coupe, and I usually don't like the look of aftermarket shift knobs for the A/T, because to me, 1. it just doesn't look right without a boot, 2. alot of the aftermarket shiftknobs leave too much height from the bottom of the knob to the shifter surround. (If thats confusing I mean it leaves alot of the bottom of the shifter showing, the metal part) And I just don't like how it looks too much.

Now lets please not get into a debate on, "wahwah just buy a manual transmission, or don't look like a poser" and all that crap cause that's not what this thread is intended for :) Everybody has their reasons for buying a A/T or M/T, lets just leave those differences out of this thread please :)

Now to the point, I love the look of the Shiftboots for A/T's (such as in g35/37's, M35's and nissan 370z's, ext.) As I said before I searched and couldn't find what I've been looking for, but when I went to google I found alot of other car brands have done the same for their A/T's and made aftermarket shift boots for their A/T's (for example: Scion TC)

So is it possible for a shiftboot to be made for the Gen Coupe A/T? (Maybe one of the vendors can help out here?) If not I may be able to try it out and do it myself after I get all the measurements and get all the materials I would need to do it (after I figure out what materials those are =P). Idk about everyone else with A/T's on here but I would for sure buy one if it was for sale.

Sorry for the long winded post :)

Thanks!

·
Striped Genny
1,018 Posts
I made my own shift knobs that cover the shaft.Made out of aluminum,had them powder coated,came out real nice,no shift boot needed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made my own shift knobs that cover the shaft.Made out of aluminum,had them powder coated,came out real nice,no shift boot needed.
Got any pics. of it?

Only reason I'd still keep this thread open is just incase anybody else wanted a shiftboot for their A/T. Gonna go to pepboys later and see if theres anything I can use to make a, makeshift, shiftboot haha.

Honestly I may just trade in my a/t for a m/t again, but I'm mixed about it, but thats for a different thread =P

·
Meet Organizer
1,399 Posts
you can't seriosuly want to trade in the car just for a stupid shift boot. Seriously, own up to having an A/T..I also don't see how you'd be able to make one for the car w/o it looking tacked-on.

·
Striped Genny
1,018 Posts
Got any pics. of it?

Only reason I'd still keep this thread open is just incase anybody else wanted a shiftboot for their A/T. Gonna go to pepboys later and see if theres anything I can use to make a, makeshift, shiftboot haha.

Honestly I may just trade in my a/t for a m/t again, but I'm mixed about it, but thats for a different thread =P
Tomorrow i'll get them from my car and post the shift knobs.:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rented a 2010 Malibu that had it, it looks nice. Maybe if there was one that just surrounded the entire area it'd look nice

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can't seriosuly want to trade in the car just for a stupid shift boot. Seriously, own up to having an A/T..I also don't see how you'd be able to make one for the car w/o it looking tacked-on.
Yes because I would want to trade in the car just for the shift boot.......is that a joke? Clearly it would be because it has a manual transmission....not the shift boot....

And it's very possible to make it clean looking, I'm already in the middle of doing it.

Tomorrow i'll get them from my car and post the shift knobs.:)
Thanks man :) Can't wait!

Rented a 2010 Malibu that had it, it looks nice. Maybe if there was one that just surrounded the entire area it'd look nice
That's what I'm trying for, I'll show pics when I finish everything :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished it today, gonna post pics in a few minutes

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so just finished up putting everything together so I mine as well just post a quick DIY of it...

All you need is a flathead screwdriver and a shiftknob/shiftboot of your choice.

Step 1: Remove your current shiftknob from shifter.

Step 2: Gently using your flathead screwdriver pry up the surround to the shifter (NOT the black part with the P,R,N,D and all that on it). There are a few clips surrounding the whole thing so just be gentle, after your done with that it should look like this...

Step 3: I bought this shiftboot from pepboys, but you can get any kind you want (personally I would get one that isn't very long, you'll see why after). But your going to absolutely want a shiftboot that has a bottom that can be stretched, because what your going to do next is stretch the bottom of the shiftboot around the P,R,N,D area, and over the shifter so it should now look like this...

Step 4: Remember that surround you took off in step 1? Well put it back in your hands, because what your going to have to do now is gently pry up the silver trim on the underside of the surround, and pop it out, otherwise the shiftboot won't fit...heres a picture of the silver trim... (not popped out)

Step 5: After you have popped the silver trim off you should now be able to snap the surround back into place like it previously was...

Step 6: your all done! now you just need to pick a shiftknob of your choice, here are a few pictures of the shifter in neutral with the stock shiftknob, and an old 6 speed shift knob I had from my old tiburon, you can obviously choose any kind you want...

The only problem you may encounter is with what shiftboot you buy, because if you buy one that is too big you will encounter that the shiftboot will make it harder to get into different gears (example: Park) So just make sure to buy one that isn't too big.

If you don't like how everything looks then don't bother with this DIY =P Or just get a M/T :)

·
Aww yeee
1,532 Posts
Looks good man! I was thinking of doing something similar to this after seeing that my dad's 328xi came with a boot on the auto shifter. I'd personally rather do it with a leather boot, but thats just me.

·
Regular User
86 Posts
Excellent write up SamS. Thanks for the effort!! I like the way that looks actually.

Do you run into any problems in your daily drive? I mean are there little things that get annoying?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good man! I was thinking of doing something similar to this after seeing that my dad's 328xi came with a boot on the auto shifter. I'd personally rather do it with a leather boot, but thats just me.
Thanks alot :) Yea I would definitely prefer leather too, but at the time pepboys only had either this shiftboot, or like blue/red leather ones so I passed on those, I'll try and find a leather one though and see how it looks :)

Excellent write up SamS. Thanks for the effort!! I like the way that looks actually.

Do you run into any problems in your daily drive? I mean are there little things that get annoying?
Not a problem! and thankyou very much :)

No not at all, it's very smooth, but as I said up above in the DIY you can't buy a very large/long shiftboot otherwise the shiftboot will start to catch in the gears. (For Example: Going from reverse into park you will be able to feel the shifter not go all the way into park, it'll be about halfway in)

I would personally go with a leather shiftboot though :) as long as the bottom is expandable, or if you can find another way to make it fit, but I figured this was just plug and play type stuff so it was the easiest :)

·
Striped Genny
1,018 Posts
Got any pics. of it?

Here are some pics of the shift knobs.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
dbigboi703
286 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is it possible to do this and still keep the silver trim, or is that the only way to make it fit?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it possible to do this and still keep the silver trim, or is that the only way to make it fit?
I haven't tried any other way to do it yet except this one, I'll see if I can fiddle around with it this weekend to see if it'll work :)

·
dbigboi703
286 Posts
Its definitely possible in the directions i got for the short shifter boot they show you how to reinstall the silver trim.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts