Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully changed the shift knob on a 2014 or 2015 manual WITHOUT getting a new short shifter? Like have you found an adapter that fits or someone who can make a knob that will fit? For those who don't know, its not a threaded stick/shift knob anymore. I just want to change it because its something subtle i can do and i'm getting that oh so wonderful rattle form the stock knob.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and it sucks

·
ThE DuDe
172 Posts
Apparently these guys have adapters/shift knobs for our cars..
Raceseng Genesis Coupe - Hyundai - By Make

I haven't done much research into this though.
no they dont. i have emailed the owner about this a month or so back and he said no. unless they have made something since then

but i would say that the only options would be to either get a short/long/stock size shifter, or take that one out and thread it and find a shift knob to fit what thread size you thread it at.

i also had the rattle and it was really annoying. i ended up getting the ATQ short shifter which if you do a little research on you will find its the best one on the market by far. its soooooo much smoother than stock too and well worth upgrading to. and while you do that i would at least upgrade the shifter bushings. trust me it really does make a very big difference in how the car shifts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
no they dont. i have emailed the owner about this a month or so back and he said no. unless they have made something since then
That blows.. Thanks for letting us know though!

OP- you may as well upgrade to a short shifter then, to be honest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That blows.. Thanks for letting us know though!

OP- you may as well upgrade to a short shifter then, to be honest.
is there any risk in voiding the warranty if i do get one?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Should be able to get it covered under warranty as long as its still new enough
I've taken mine in twice for the rattle. The first time they say I need a new part, they'll order and replace. Didn't happen. took car in for FIRST oil change and they say they have no idea what it is and they'll need the car for the whole day to diagnose the problem.

I haven't gone back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've taken mine in twice for the rattle. The first time they say I need a new part, they'll order and replace. Didn't happen. took car in for FIRST oil change and they say they have no idea what it is and they'll need the car for the whole day to diagnose the problem.

I haven't gone back.
On mine it was as simple as the plastic piece being loose to the point that you could slide it around a bit so there wasnèt much diagnosis needed. Can you try a different dealershipÉ

·
Registered
86 Posts
On mine it was as simple as the plastic piece being loose to the point that you could slide it around a bit so there wasnèt much diagnosis needed. Can you try a different dealershipÉ
I've been thinking about it. There are 2 here in town. Just haven't made an appointment at the second one yet. It's oddly enough not rattling right now. Gets more pronounced when it's cold (cheap metal expanding/contracting?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
The shift knob on my 2015 ultimate m/t
rattles whenever I accelerate. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
Mine rattled like no tomorrow too. I brought it to the dealer and they opened it up and said there was a loose insert that they glued down. It's actually starting to make some noises again but nowhere near as loud yet. Time will tell. It falls under warranty though and took less than an hour just walking in without an appointment.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Should be able to get it covered under warranty as long as its still new enough
I might have to take mine in, though next time it's an issue it will be 2.5 years old, as it only does it when it's cold out(cheap metal, shrinking/expanding with temp change). Not doing it now, and I don't expect it to now that's it's warm. I took it in twice, first time they said they'd need to order a part, the 2nd time they apparently forgot about the first time and said they needed the car all day just to diagnose why it was rattling. I have not been back to that dealer (where I bought it, even).

Hah! just noticed it's been a year since I last posted, 2 posts up! Should've taken it in this last winter. Oh well...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine rattled as well, with less then 500 miles on my car! :O
I brought it in and the tech took one min to drive the car and diagnosed that it needs a new shift knob, and that it's a "Common/Known issue" on our cars....either way I got a new shift knob under warranty and wallah...no more rattling :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine rattled as well, with less then 500 miles on my car! :O
I brought it in and the tech took one min to drive the car and diagnosed that it needs a new shift knob, and that it's a "Common/Known issue" on our cars....either way I got a new shift knob under warranty and wallah...no more rattling :D
Watch out. Mine rattled with 30 miles on it and they fixed mine with some glue. It's starting to come back a bit though. Next time I'm in that area I plan to ask them if there are aftermarket ones or if a veloster one fits.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Watch out. Mine rattled with 30 miles on it and they fixed mine with some glue. It's starting to come back a bit though. Next time I'm in that area I plan to ask them if there are aftermarket ones or if a veloster one fits.

Darn...oh well ive been meaning to get a short throw shifter anyways :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone successfully changed the shift knob on a 2014 or 2015 manual WITHOUT getting a new short shifter?
Yes - I just did. I bought a Mishimoto pistol grip and pulled the OEM shift knob today only to find out my 2015 R-spec has the evil fork-type shift shaft. I borrowed an M12x1.25 die from my friendly local machine shop and threaded the shaft. Turned out pretty well (see pics). I was surprised to find out there is a 3 lb weight attached to bottom of the shift lever - it's the black mass in the pic and is attached with 3 bolts. Note the odd shape, with the center of mass on the driver's side.. Is this a counterweight to help shifting? Can anyone comment about pros/cons of removing it?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts