Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to replace a shift solenoid and what does it entail. Im getting it replaced next tuesday and I am providing the part. Just want an idea at how much im going to pay for labor and I assume a few quarts of tranny fluid.

· Registered
8 Posts
I had a trans./shift solenoid replaced a few months back. The shop in my town (Tallahassee, FL), charged me somewhere around $375 for labor when I supplied the solenoid myself. Price included a full drain and fill of the trans. fluid (using the OEM Hyundai fluid). 8-speed auto-transmission has been working well for me so far (fingers crossed) a few months in. Best of luck to you!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a trans./shift solenoid replaced a few months back. The shop in my town (Tallahassee, FL), charged me somewhere around $375 for labor when I supplied the solenoid myself. Price included a full drain and fill of the trans. fluid (using the OEM Hyundai fluid). 8-speed auto-transmission has been working well for me so far (fingers crossed) a few months in. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the reply! Before you got it replaced, was you car not shifting regardless of RPMs? Thats what mine was doing and my guy was going to use the fluid recommended by the dealer which is $70 for 1 quart so I was looking at 840 on fluid alone. Now hes going to use dexron IV full synthetic 8 speed to drop price. Im just hoping that him essentially doing a tranny flush isnt going to cause future problems and that replacing the solenoid solves everything. Im only at 93k miles.

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Before you got it replaced, was you car not shifting regardless of RPMs? Thats what mine was doing and my guy was going to use the fluid recommended by the dealer which is $70 for 1 quart so I was looking at 840 on fluid alone. Now hes going to use dexron IV full synthetic 8 speed to drop price. Im just hoping that him essentially doing a tranny flush isnt going to cause future problems and that replacing the solenoid solves everything. Im only at 93k miles.
No problem; mine ('13 3.8) would hard downshift on slowdown and then get locked into 5th gear (wouldn't shift automatically or manually to another gear until full shutdown/cool down). The solenoid replaced did the trick in fixing the problem. I do recall the OEM fluid being ridiculously expensive like that, even had a previous trans. fluid flush done previously with other fluid (BG fluid that is compatible - can't remember the exact type), but the transmission shop that I used quoted me a very reasonable price and claimed they were using the OEM fluid. Sounded a bit too good to be true, but I didn't question it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts