Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to get an alignment, and they tell me caster angle on front passenger side is off by about 1/2 degree and camber on the same side is -2 ( -1 more than the driver side) I do not have the camber bolts installed but I am lowered on eiback pro springs.

Do those numbers definitely point to damage?

They say they have to pull the frame (i think thats what he called it) to change caster, even though there is no visible sign of frame damage, they say they can pull it enough to change that amount, should i let them do this?

Also do the camber bolts also do positive adjustment to get that wheel back to something around -1?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you the original owner of the car? If not, I'd start by getting a carfax report on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i bought it preowned, but the carfax was clean, and there are no visible signs of damage, the shop guy said it could have been a big pothole or a curb that tweaked the suspension but didnt damage anything else

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
My caster and camber have been slightly out of spec since I bought the car new.

Are the tires wearing evenly???????, notice any pulling or drifting while on a level road???????

Duro

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, other than the inside of the tires wearing out really fast, zero issues. Drives dead straight, no side pull on launch, or anything. I actually went to get an alignment because the tires were wearing out way too fast (about 20k front/14k rear) which i thought was excessive camber so i was going to have them take a bit off.

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Actually, other than the inside of the tires wearing out really fast, zero issues. Drives dead straight, no side pull on launch, or anything. I actually went to get an alignment because the tires were wearing out way too fast (about 20k front/14k rear) which i thought was excessive camber so i was going to have them take a bit off.
Inside edge of tires?, or Inside 1/2-3/4 of the tread???????

What are you thread measurements across the tread width?????

Many gencoupes were known to wear the inside 1/2-3/4 of the rear tires a bit, but many including myself would rather have a little bit of excess negative camber on the rear and deal with the wear issue which is slight at best.

Duro

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inside edge of tires?, or Inside 1/2-3/4 of the tread???????

What are you thread measurements across the tread width?????

Many gencoupes were known to wear the inside of the rear tires a bit, but many including myself would rather have a little bit of excess negative camber on the rear and deal with the wear issue which is only slight at best.

Duro
Inside edge of tires, but its dramatic. After 16k miles the steel was starting to pop through and I still had 6/32 on the outer tread block.

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Inside edge of tires, but its dramatic. After 16k miles the steel was starting to pop through and I still had 6/32 on the outer tread block.
Inside edge of the tire indicates a TOE adjustment problem................if the rest of tire is fine, you simply need the toe adjusted and leave the camber/caster alone.

The wear should be equal on both inside edges on the same axle (Front or Rear).

NOW, caster and camber may change a bit as the toe is adjusted but toe is causing the most of your tire wear here.

YES toe will chew a tire off pretty quickly, and usually the leading cause of tire wear these days as potholes will easily knock this out of adjustment.

Duro

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I went to get an alignment, and they tell me caster angle on front passenger side is off by about 1/2 degree and camber on the same side is -2 ( -1 more than the driver side) I do not have the camber bolts installed but I am lowered on eiback pro springs.

Do those numbers definitely point to damage?

They say they have to pull the frame (i think thats what he called it) to change caster, even though there is no visible sign of frame damage, they say they can pull it enough to change that amount, should i let them do this?

Also do the camber bolts also do positive adjustment to get that wheel back to something around -1?
The shop should have provided you with an alignment chart for your car. Scan that document and post here on this thread. You will get better help if we can see the alignment chart.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
FYI
A shop with a BEAR computer alignment machine will give you before and after printout which an honest mechanic will gladly share with you. The shop I use is managed this way because the owner would like his customers to come back smiling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts