Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, obviously, as you can tell by the title I am interested in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I am currently 18 years old and driving an 09 Toyota Corolla S which is reaching 220,000 miles. The car I have right now is doing its job getting me from here to there without any issues. I have recently got more into cars within the last year and a half as my friends around me have started to get more incredible upgrades/cars. In this time I have begun to go to car meets with them and long rides around the state. Right now in my little friend group we have: Honda Civic Type R, 370z, Veloster N, fully modded Camaro SS, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mustang, and a couple more I could care less to include.

Anyways, I am getting into the car scene and this car has always been one that stands out to me and I enjoy seeing on the road. I commute to college driving around 110 miles 5/7 days a week(30,000 miles a year). I plan on driving the car easy through the week but letting it have some fun on a weekend every now and then. So, some things I would like to have answered and can only be answered by the best...

1. Is the car reliable? I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total)
2. What are the reliability differences between the 2.0T and the 3.8L v6? Which one would you recommend over the other one?
3. Are there any specific years I should stay away from? What is the most I should be paying for a completely stock Genesis will less than 60,000 miles?

The main other car I am interested in is a Ford Focus ST. Two very different cars and I love them both. So why should I choose the Genesis Coupe?

I live in Ohio and although it is an RWD car, I do understand winter tires on these cars do a world of differences so the weather isn't a big issue for me. I will also still be able to drive the corolla if conditions are that bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Generally, yes, but always budget for issues regardless of the perceived reliability of the car
2. Not much, 2.0T obviously introduces a turbo which is another piece that can break, both are quite reliable
3. I'm not a fan of the 2010s, I would get 2011+ and preferably 2013+
4. Nothing wrong with a FoST either. Do you want 4 doors or 2? Is 250hp enough (2013+ 2.0T / FoST) or maybe you can get 350HP via 2013+ 3.8?

Also keep in mind insurance costs, maybe your friends are rich or are on their parent's insurance but for an 18 year old, presumably male, driving any of the cars you have mentioned will cost a pretty penny in the insurance space
Sometimes you can get lucky and they lump FoSTs together with normal focuses or GenCoupes with 4door Genesis and the insurance premium for one of those could be significantly cheaper than the others

1 - 2 of 2 Posts