Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, obviously, as you can tell by the title I am interested in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I am currently 18 years old and driving an 09 Toyota Corolla S which is reaching 220,000 miles. The car I have right now is doing its job getting me from here to there without any issues. I have recently got more into cars within the last year and a half as my friends around me have started to get more incredible upgrades/cars. In this time I have begun to go to car meets with them and long rides around the state. Right now in my little friend group we have: Honda Civic Type R, 370z, Veloster N, fully modded Camaro SS, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mustang, and a couple more I could care less to include.

Anyways, I am getting into the car scene and this car has always been one that stands out to me and I enjoy seeing on the road. I commute to college driving around 110 miles 5/7 days a week(30,000 miles a year). I plan on driving the car easy through the week but letting it have some fun on a weekend every now and then. So, some things I would like to have answered and can only be answered by the best...

1. Is the car reliable? I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total)
2. What are the reliability differences between the 2.0T and the 3.8L v6? Which one would you recommend over the other one?
3. Are there any specific years I should stay away from? What is the most I should be paying for a completely stock Genesis will less than 60,000 miles?

The main other car I am interested in is a Ford Focus ST. Two very different cars and I love them both. So why should I choose the Genesis Coupe?

I live in Ohio and although it is an RWD car, I do understand winter tires on these cars do a world of differences so the weather isn't a big issue for me. I will also still be able to drive the corolla if conditions are that bad.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Either engine platforms are more than reliable. Your two "leanings" are worlds apart. As fast as they are Focus's are a go kart.

You should go with the Genesis in any trim u like with the 3.8. The reason ? We are on the cusp of a generational change in the automotive technology in a few ways.
1. Electric
2.Hybrids
3. Front wheel and all wheel drive.

The genesis coupe with the 3.8 is at the end of larger horsepower rear wheel drive "muscle cars". Buy one because you still can,(probably get a good deal too). Then boost it out and make your own dragon.

·
Premium Member
14,913 Posts
I wouldn't call it a muscle car. It was designed to compete with the 370z/g37, which there are quite a few drivability things that the nissans just plan do better, when comparing the 2.

If I had to compare a gen and a ST, the gen is can be used and more of your everyday car. The ST, the suspension is rougher to live with.

On the Gen, the timing chain should be changed every 60K~80K miles on either engine.
This involve having to take apart almost half the engine.
Don't expect much if/when you go to sell it

·
Registered
798 Posts
Muscle car is : rear wheel drive, larger engine. It defnitely qualifies. The stance also. Definitely the staggered front/rear wheels.

This in the face of all the Korean front wheel drive cars of the time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Either engine platforms are more than reliable. Your two "leanings" are worlds apart. As fast as they are Focus's are a go kart.

You should go with the Genesis in any trim u like with the 3.8. The reason ? We are on the cusp of a generational change in the automotive technology in a few ways.
1. Electric
2.Hybrids
3. Front wheel and all wheel drive.

The genesis coupe with the 3.8 is at the end of larger horsepower rear wheel drive "muscle cars". Buy one because you still can,(probably get a good deal too). Then boost it out and make your own dragon.
This, i predict in the not too distant future we will all be running around in some type of EV's. Honestly from a practical perspective we will probably be better off, but it will be a sad end to the era of internal combustion car culture thats had such a profound influence on so many of us. May as well enjoy it while we can.

·
Premium Member
14,913 Posts
Muscle car is : rear wheel drive, larger engine. It defnitely qualifies. The stance also. Definitely the staggered front/rear wheels.

This in the face of all the Korean front wheel drive cars of the time.
Then you're saying that the mustang, charger, and challenger aren't muscle cars.
All those have non staggered wheel
The dodges have awd options, and mustang... ecoboost.... and now ev supposedly.

These cars, comparatively speaking doesn't have power. To get it the same power, how much money has to be thrown at it?
Where as a US v8, to get more power, you just need to get a $300 cam, different pistons or junk yard heads, injectors and a tune, and you're making 100 whp over stock.

The term muscle car doesn't really exist now. Think of where it all came from, it came from people tinkering in their garages getting cheap power out of their cars. All it's used for now is just marketing.

·
Bill
564 Posts
If current generation muscle is the definition, it qualifies.
If you use 60's straight line muscle, then it doesn't.
It's a sport coupe to me, but so are current ponies.

·
Registered
798 Posts
AKGC, so argumentative.LOL. No Im not saying that those you mentioned are not because of staggered setup. But in the context of ASIAN cars, rear wheel drive and staggered setup is definitely "their version" of muscle car.

My car easily is up there with them in power,...and about 2,000 lbs less in weight. It didnt take that much money, and it was fun. Plus our cars are not a dime a dozen, oh look another Genny,...not so much.

Bill has a point, it is so relative to generation. I had a 71 "Cuda" 383 bored out to a 414. This was the late 70's That was an original muscle car.

My 2013 Genesis IS its generations idea of muscle car. With the mods I've done, it is defacto muscle beach!

·
Registered
798 Posts
This, i predict in the not too distant future we will all be running around in some type of EV's. Honestly from a practical perspective we will probably be better off, but it will be a sad end to the era of internal combustion car culture thats had such a profound influence on so many of us. May as well enjoy it while we can.
Yes, yes,....work these things out,...because there wont be many more of them coming along !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts