Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Slight rattle under acceleration.... Need advice.

47K views 106 replies 55 participants last post by  Matteo705 
#1 ·
Hi all.

New here, just purchased a 2013 coupe 2.0, absolutely love it, although I've noticed a slight rattle coming from somewhere underneath the car under heavy acceleration. It's hard to pin point, it sounds like metal on metal vibration.

It's booked into the dealership in a few days for them to have a look at it, but was wondering if anyone else has problem or has heard of it.

Thanks.
:gc-noob:

#2 ·
I assume the car is stock? I would just avoid boost until you have it checked out

#5 ·
avoid boost with the new tune? HAHAHA...have fun....that turbo starts spooling the second you hit the pedal...

#3 ·
Put your boxing gloves on and go to the dealership. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
#7 ·
Make a vid, we can see if its det.

Beware of a ball bearing in a pop can shaking sound.

#9 ·
I have the same problem.. I heard it when I'm in reverse.. and only hear it when i'm slowly pulling out... Was still driving the car aggressively today and car drives fine, but I hear the rattle once in a while.

Please let me know what they say this way I know if it's worth mentioning to dealership.

#12 ·
Heard it from around the center console or up by the hood? If you can get under your car I would check to see if one of flanges came loose...I don't even have a gencoupe but I had this problem after I installed a race header, idk why it would rattle more in reverse but it did for me too

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
What the dealership said......

They said it is a rattle coming from wastegate... And was normal, I asked to try one of the other ones on the lot, and it had the same rattle.

I guess it's just something to live with.... Love the car so it's not a big deal.... It is my first turbo, always had an v6, so I may just not have been used to it.

Anyway now on to some mods... :)

#16 ·
They said it is a rattle coming from wastegate... And was normal, I asked to try one of the other ones on the lot, and it had the same rattle.

I guess it's just something to live with.... Love the car so it's not a big deal.... It is my first turbo, always had an v6, so I may just not have been used to it.

Anyway now on to some mods... :)
Cool thanks for making me feel better

#19 ·
So after "living" with this rattle for a little over a month I have decided I can not longer live with it.

Back to the dealer tomorrow!

I've found myself leaving the car at home, it actually sounds embarrassing to drive.

The dealership have continued to claim it is normal, but to be honest when you pay $30k for a new car a rattle that belongs on a 87 Civic with a loose exhaust is not normal.

Unless this is sorted this will be the last Hyundai this bloke buys.

If anyone has had any luck let everyone know.

#25 ·
are we sure its not the down pipe? or maybe the rattle/rasp im hearing is a different noise than yours.

those are some pretty hig RPM's to still be expecting a quite cabin. :/

#24 ·
I noticed that my rattle happens at the point when my Turbo Gauge hits 0 or slightly before 0. Did anyone else on this thread see that same scenario when hearing the rattle?
I took it to a Hyundai dealership in PA and they didn't care to even look into it. They drove the car for 2 minutes, brought it back and said it's just a 'turbo' sound.

#26 ·
OK...so after reading this thread you should DEFINITELY check out my thread "Just dropped off the 2.0 R-Spec" it sounds like the same God forsaken sound. Because initially it sounds like it is coming from under the car...but it actually echos down the exhaust to sound like that....It's your turbo. And i'm with GCP... New tune? where??? GIMME GIMME!

#28 ·
One thing you guys should do is measure voltage at the wastegate, i'll look it up tomorrow at my dealer and let you guys know what the right voltage is. I've heard these in person and it is an erratic sound. The stupid electronic wastegate is helping create sounds thru the exhaust which can be annoying for sure. The Sonatas have the same problem, usually the voltage is adjusted at the wastegate if needed.

#29 ·
The dealership didn't replace Wastegate.... So I took it to Hyundai corporate, next week a guy from corporate is coming to the dealer to evaluate it. So far pretty impressed with hyundai. We'll see what happens. I urge everyone with the issue to do the same. When you call state that you wish to open a complaint. They seem to respond very quickly.

#32 ·
Same with mine, the dealer said it's common for a turbo, I said I don't think so. Called Hyundai and they said no as well. so here we go..... It sounds like it's near the engine and not after the cats or anything. sounds like crap and it's embarassing frankly.

I'll let you know what I hear.

#33 · (Edited)
Figured out what was causing the rattle on the new 2.0t and the service manager at the dealership confirmed it as well. My turbo is being replaced due to a waste gate issue, only problem is he thinks it may take anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months for a new turbo to arrive. Not happy about the noise myself as it is getting louder by the week. Hope this helps everyone with the issue, best of luck.

Edit: Just so everyone knows, this rattle is heard at about -0 on the boost gauge.

#34 ·
Figured out what was causing the rattle on the new 2.0t and the service manager at the dealership confirmed it as well. My turbo is being replaced due to a waste gate issue, only problem is he thinks it may take anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months for a new turbo to arrive. Not happy about the noise myself as it is getting louder by the week. Hope this helps everyone with the issue, best of luck.

Edit: Just so everyone knows, this rattle is hard at about -0 on the boost gauge.

I'll try to replicate it, I've got about 650 miles on the car now.. so maybe its not as bad

#35 ·
Update: I brought my Gen Coupe 2.0T back to the dealership to re-check the rattle since they didn't hear it on the first test drive. They used Chassis Ears and were able to detect the rattle. They say they called Hyundai and Hyundai states that it is not a safety issue and that they are aware of the problem. Hyundai stated that no fix is available yet. Thought I'd share this with everyone in case it's helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.