Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching this this for now about a month. Couple days from pulling the trigger on Nitrous for my 2016 3.8M. Special thanks to ShortTrack, Titan2782, and a ton of others that contributed to the boards on this and elsewhere. You all saved me from a bunch of testing and made things a sh*t ton easier.

Been through some technical manuals and even got an electronic copy of the "Nitrous Oxide Performance Handbook" and went through that. Got to admit, never looked at Nitrous that closely before this car... Rather glad I have, it’s certainly more my wheelhouse. Going to start by working up to 100 shots. I've already done the basics, intake, exhaust, cleaned up the battery terminal, transmission mount and sub-frame bushing this or next weekend, differential bushings, possibly after that, haven't pulled the trigger there. The Nitrous kit includes the following:

NX Proton Plus System (20421-10)
NX Maximizer 5 (16008)
NX Purge Valve System (15600)
NX N2O Filter (15607)
NX Fuel Rail Adapter (16190)
PSN-1 Bottle Pressure and Wide-band Gauge (3893)

Cost is approx. $1,500-$1,650 all together.

Additionally I plan on dropping W/M injection with a simple kit from AEM (30-3350) and a home-made pressure assist system (NANO System) using mostly paintball gear I have, which together will add about $550 to the project but considering the safety and reliability the would add to the system, well worth the cost... Also with the W/M will leave more room to grow if I get board with 100 shots. :)

Really looking at the Max 5 controller documentation and PSN-1 to get the most out of the fail-safe systems and sensors they have. Also it would be nice to get use of the other outputs on the Max 5 to control the W/M injection with Nitrous injection but documentation is vary basic. Testing will be needed...

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
I've been researching this this for now about a month. Couple days from pulling the trigger on Nitrous for my 2016 3.8M. Special thanks to ShortTrack, Titan2782, and a ton of others that contributed to the boards on this and elsewhere. You all saved me from a bunch of testing and made things a sh*t ton easier.

Been through some technical manuals and even got an electronic copy of the "Nitrous Oxide Performance Handbook" and went through that. Got to admit, never looked at Nitrous that closely before this car... Rather glad I have, it’s certainly more my wheelhouse. Going to start by working up to 100 shots. I've already done the basics, intake, exhaust, cleaned up the battery terminal, transmission mount and sub-frame bushing this or next weekend, differential bushings, possibly after that, haven't pulled the trigger there. The Nitrous kit includes the following:

NX Proton Plus System (20421-10)
NX Maximizer 5 (16008)
NX Purge Valve System (15600)
NX N2O Filter (15607)
NX Fuel Rail Adapter (16190)
PSN-1 Bottle Pressure and Wide-band Gauge (3893)

Cost is approx. $1,500-$1,650 all together.

Additionally I plan on dropping W/M injection with a simple kit from AEM (30-3350) and a home-made pressure assist system (NANO System) using mostly paintball gear I have, which together will add about $550 to the project but considering the safety and reliability the would add to the system, well worth the cost... Also with the W/M will leave more room to grow if I get board with 100 shots. :)

Really looking at the Max 5 controller documentation and PSN-1 to get the most out of the fail-safe systems and sensors they have. Also it would be nice to get use of the other outputs on the Max 5 to control the W/M injection with Nitrous injection but documentation is vary basic. Testing will be needed...
PM me if you need help.More things you could do to run better with only a 75 shot or the planned 100 shot .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just once

Hey OP I just leave this with you.

Any tuner of repute that I have run into will thell you the following:

MPI injection = meth/water

GDI injection = pure meth

AEM engineers will confirm this with you off the record. Officially they are not supposed to tell you this since their company doesnt want the liability of running oure meth, but its true.

***I dont know how nitrous effects this,..Shorttrack will be your best sounding board.

The short of the why is the pressures/compression cause a separation of hydrogen from the water content, the hydrogen is prone to predet easier than the meth or fuel component of the combustion mixture.

***I saw this in VT's. There was a whole nasty bickering on this,.....until all the GDI VT's running M/W ALL blew up. Yes,...........argument settled,...its academic now. PS my little 1.6 TGDI ran 30 psi and didnt pop. Thank you pure meth,....and 98 octane.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
I spray W/M when spraying nitrous without any issues . I do have a data logger/AFR gauge to be able to monitor my system .Running e85 with nitrous would be the way to go ,just not enough e85 gas stations in my area for me to make the switch .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the main goal with the w/m was to control detonation during nitrous injection. I have not heard that it causes issues with gdi.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Yeah the main goal with the w/m was to control detonation during nitrous injection. I have not heard that it causes issues with gdi.
No problems and zero issues with me , system has been on my ride for over 5 years and not 1 hiccup .I kick the living $hit out of many "supposedly" fast cars on the streets and track with my set up. Always a lot of BS excuses by the other guy . Here is the 1 plus that nitrous system has ,total control by way of the new controlling electronic boxes such as the MAXIMIZER 4 and now the up dated 5 .On the track a good turbo set up can run damn good but on the streets it is easier to control nitrous through initial hit % and ramp in time , with the a window switch safety parameter and targeted RPM activation along with AFR or gear activation programming nitrous is hard to beat on the streets .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
75 to 100 shot and a small dose of w/m is all that is needed as long as the targeted combined AFR is 11.5:1 to 12.5:1 ,I am running at current 11.7:1 AFR with engine-w/m and nitrous during a nitrous event (spraying). Because of our traction situation (lack of) I have the controller set at a began spray event sometime after 4,000 RPM's " window switch setting" and stop spraying at 6,700 rpm's -wide open throttle activation is set at 90% open throttle position .Example of Nitrous mapping hit and ramp time is : when I spray 100 hp shot I activate initially with 30 % introduction of nitrous during hit in which my controller allows only a 30 hp shot to be sprayed by cycling the nitrous solenoid only, the same way the OEM ECU cycles your engine's injectors .Then within 2 seconds My controller ramps the remaining 70 hp in according to a plotted curve that I set through the Maximizer 4's program,so even though I am at full throttle ,the nitrous 100 hp does not get fully dumped thus giving my tires and suspension a chance to work for traction . when you understand how to set up the controller , not 1 Gen Coupe sitting next to you with turbo kit and a OEM engine will run with you in the 1/4 if both engines are OEM long block .Now a built 3.8 or 2.0 with proper prep work is a different story , case in point the 4cyl turbo GC in Puerto Rico that runs 10.50's @ 130 plus mph on drag radials .When the time comes, if I go into the motor I will go the way of supercharger vs turbo and still employ nitrous because of the controllability of the electronics .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New (to me) Magnaflow exhaust is in, although I couldn't get the diff bushing so that is on order, and the rigid collars didnt come yet either.

On that note, I have the transmission mount and engine leash. Manifold spacer, throttle body spacer, AIT sensor shaved and relocated (fast acting sensor seems like it would be alot better, still stupid slow), airbox heat shielding, coolant bypass. Also, throttle controller and catch can, some of which still needs to be installed... My garage time is limiting.

I have the basic model with suspension, breaks (with good pads), and sway bars still, those are not on the list (yet). Differential will be upgraded as soon as I find one, I dont know if I want a 3.73 or 3.91 final drive or not, I do put on a lot of interstate miles.

Pretty sure I want to get a stage 1 manifold from 3p3p also. But what would be suggested before Nitrous? I want to get in on before winter but unlikely at this rate...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do you already have a throttle booster installed? (Sprint or Tros)
Tros, I got it from 3point8performance.com, it was a really nice upgrade. I would recommend it, easy to install and its much more enjoyable and smoother to drive. I have a better feel for the throttle. You can tune the throttle curve so it will snap your neck just by bumping the throttle or there is a valet mode that nerfs the crap out of it... Not sure what that is like but it has that...

Edit: The spacers are what arent installed yet, I havent got the gaskets yet. They are apparently coming via turtle, although that doesnt mean I couldn't get some stock gaskets, I'm just being lazy...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright, When I get this Diff mount and LSD (went 3.71) installed, three weeks maybe two if I'm lucky, I feel good to put on the Nitrous. The Spacers and rigid collars should both be in by then too.

I want to wait till winter to get the manifold stage 1 (or 3 and a tune, we'll see how poor I feel), engine mount, clean up the down pipes, possibly new headers. Don't want to have to swap out parts to get inspected nor CEL, and I see lots of mixed reviews on headers. This will be done in reverse order probably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So everything is in but the differential and added mount... Still waiting on the sleeve, although that wasn't technically the hold up, lack of more hands was...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts