Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get into my car yesterday to go to work. Press the keyless button like usual to unlock the car and get in, but it wasn't unlocking. Kinda strange, but it was pretty cold so I thought maybe it was just frozen or something. I just used the physical key to unlock the car and got in and went to start my car, car started right up like normal - so I basically just disregarded the fact that the keyless wasn't functioning.

5 P.M. comes, time to leave work. Go to get in my car again, keyless isn't working, start button isn't working, had to get car towed. The battery wasn't dead because I had interior lights and I could lock/unlock the car from the inside. No idea what happened. Service tech calls me last night after he hears that roadside assistance is bringing my car to them and says it should be an "easy fix". Got another call today saying to come in so they can give me a loaner, problem is more complicated than originally anticipated. :(. Car is 11 months old, depressing.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
dealer probably initially thought it was just the key fob battery.
Then found out it wasn't.

probably one of the keyless antennas, and just waiting for parts.

theres a key fob holder in the car, so you can start the car even though the fob battery is out, or if the antenna isn't working.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
So? This can happen to any car make or model. Atleast theyre ontop of it and at least ur not skating to work... Good job for hyundai in my book

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey i got 2013 genesis r spec and it sat for acouple days when it was really cold. thought better take it out and the same thing happend seems dead no radio or any climate control no keyless. but it did start ran car decided to drive to dealer to get them to look at half way there every cam on and car been fine ever since it was wierd that was at 300km now got 2500km and no issues since my dealer said could have been something i did with key fob to put the car in theft mode but let me know what u find thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dealer probably initially thought it was just the key fob battery.
Then found out it wasn't.

probably one of the keyless antennas, and just waiting for parts.

theres a key fob holder in the car, so you can start the car even though the fob battery is out, or if the antenna isn't working.

No battery in key start - YouTube
This didn't work either. It was the first thing I tried as soon as the car wouldn't start. The fobs are supposed to last 10 years on a single battery. When I went to pick up the loaner they said they tried to reprogram the entire keyless system but it didn't work. Their techs didn't have enough time to delve deeper. So idk.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So? This can happen to any car make or model. Atleast theyre ontop of it and at least ur not skating to work... Good job for hyundai in my book
This post wasn't meant to be condescending or questioning the quality of Hyundai in any way. I was basically just venting haha. My dealership has always been top notch and has taken care of me.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
This post wasn't meant to be condescending or questioning the quality of Hyundai in any way. I was basically just venting haha. My dealership has always been top notch and has taken care of me.
Well its a forum, cant really tell what tone or way of describing this issue ur using...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did your radio still work? And if you locked the car from the inside, did it lock on all the doors or just the one you actualy pressed the lock button on?
edit, oh your car doesnt even start, did you drop your key or did anything bad happen to it?

·
Registered
565 Posts
This happened to me as well, I pressed the start button about 10 times or so and then it worked after that. When it happened to me, there was a little ding noise after I pressed the start button and wouldn't work from the insert inside either. But whatever I did to it did make it start again.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
If pressing the start button and having the fob in doesn't, then hold the button down with the fob in for likea minute. This should let you start the car if its a combo of the key antenna and the brake/clutch switch not working.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did your radio still work? And if you locked the car from the inside, did it lock on all the doors or just the one you actualy pressed the lock button on?
edit, oh your car doesnt even start, did you drop your key or did anything bad happen to it?
No radio, no nothing. Any function provided by pressing the "Start" button would do nothing. Didn't matter where the fob was located. My fob was in great condition, and I have a second one that still had the dealer tags on it that had never even been used that wasn't being recognized by the car either.

If pressing the start button and having the fob in doesn't, then hold the button down with the fob in for likea minute. This should let you start the car if its a combo of the key antenna and the brake/clutch switch not working.
I also tried this, I was actually told FIVE minutes by my dealer. So I put the fob in the slot, foot on the brake, timer on a phone, and held the damn button for five minutes (while having my index finger turn blue), and still nothing. Anything relating the ignition/keyless system was completely dead.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not the battery lol. I had interior lights and I could lock/unlock the car from the inside, I should've at least been able to turn the car on even if the engine wouldn't turn over. There's absolutely no reason the battery should be dead in an 11 mo. old car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I tried the minute thing and it didn't work for me either, that's when I just pressed the start button like 10 times out of frustration, and then it finally started to work. I think I also placed my FOB in that slot thing for it, after I did the 10 button pushes. Not sure what fixed it though.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
when you hold it. it needs to be in the ignition position.

so,
press once = ACC mode
press and hold again = ignition.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
10-12 had a similar problem fairly commonly with brake pedal sensor going bad. Happened 4 times to my pregnant wife before hyundai finally fixed it, and it started happening with barely 5k on the car. Starting to sound like Hyundai didnt fix as many problems as they should have...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got an update: The problem is very intermittent, sometimes it works just fine, others it will not function at all. They have no idea what's going and need to keep the car a few more days at least. Bleh :(. At least I'm getting 35 mpg in this 2013 elantra loaner. namsayin :rofl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts