Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I keep hearing this sound coming from the rear on the passenger side. I only hear it at lower speeds. It's hard to describe but here's a video of what it sounds like. It isn't the loud clanks you hear. It's a continuous popping sound I guess. You hear it right when it starts at it stops at about :08 and starts again at about :16. I just want to know if anyone has a guess at what the problem could be.

·
Bill
544 Posts
Sounds to me like something's loose.
I'd have it in a suspension shop to evaluate it. At least get it up in the air and examine everything.
Safety issues aren't good trial and error candidates.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on what could be loose? I'd rather just find and tighten myself but I don't want to be blindly looking around and at least have some idea on what I should be looking for. I hate taking my car to shops if I don't absolutely have to.

·
Bill
544 Posts
told you what i think you should do.
if you don't want to pay for expertise, you can rent a lift bay. at least get it up on jack stands and crawl around under it.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
756 Posts
Go around with a couple sockets/ratchet and tighten every bolt you see in the area. If you have coilovers, check that your preload adjustment is tightened.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll try to tighten down everything I see to make sure nothing is loose then. The last thing in the rear that's been worked on is just changing the diff fluid which was last year. I did have a hit and run some months ago in the front but I remember hearing this noise before then. Obviously I should've tried to diagnose it much sooner than now but I haven't had as much free time as I do right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I got around to checking everything out today. Everything that I could fit what tools I had on were tight. I couldn't tighten down anything. The only thing I got to budge a little more was one of the 2 bolts that bolt the strut to the top. I pulled on the CV axle and heard a clank when I would pull in and out but I read that is normal as it needs that small amount of movement. Here are 2 pictures of the only things I could possibly think were of any concern. The O ring (at least I think it is some sort of O ring) on top of the spring looks cracked and then this bolt isn't completely seated but I couldn't budge it at all so I'm assuming it's supposed to be like that. I'm not super savvy with suspension haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar sound coming from my left tire area. I had an inspection done at a dealership two days ago and they said it was possibly my strut mount. I haven't looked into confirming it. They told me to jack the car up and let the front wheels hang, and then try to shake the strut and see if it's loose. Also, try driving on a smooth road and turning back and forth to see if the sound happens when you turn aswell.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolt I was able to tighten a little more was the strut mount I believe. I'll try gong on a smooth road and doing that too. It's the most audible when I'm going at a slow speed. I don't hear it all the time but when I do it's like a spongy click type of sound. It sounds a little different in the video since I was going about 30 mph.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
756 Posts
Check and see if the ring pointed out in the picture is tight. Mine was loose one time and made sounds on every bump. Might not be it but worth a shot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I checked all of the rings when I was down there yesterday. I didn't check with a spanner but I did check if they were loose enough for my hand to move them. I had hoped this was the problem haha

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to get another video of the sound. Maybe this will help more. I'm going about 5mph in this clip. It's almost like a rubbery type of sound.

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
Any suspension noise when nothing has been changed....
Check all the rubber parts.

swap bar mounts
CV joint boots
end links
suspension bushings.

If the rubber bits are OEM, check for cracks, gummyness, and leaks (mainly CV joint boots)

·
Premium Member
14,833 Posts
Okay cool I'll try to get a look at those this weekend. Someone also mentioned to me to check the guibo and diff mounts too.
guibos wouldn't cause a noise, it usually causes vibration.

diff mount would be one of the rubber parts

CV joint boots should be fine if there are cracks, but is a good indication that they need to be changed soon.
It's a problem if there are leaks, and axle grease is coming out of them.
By then, the whole half shaft will need to be replaced, because water and dirt has likely entered the joint, wearing it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts