Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of curiosity, who on this world owning a gen coupe takes their spare tire out after getting aftermarket rims and tires?

How long have you driven like that and how are your roads? I am thinking of doing the same thing, but i dont want to risk getting a flat.-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why remove your spare if you are getting aftermarket wheels and tires? Your aftermarket wheels and tires should be the same height as your stock wheels and tires. Otherwise, you might have speedometer problems.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
WTF, Master Tech?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this has nothing to do with me being a master tech, it has to do with...well for me luck because i have driven 3 years in my 240 with 19s on without getting a flat or anything without a spare in the car and i know a few locals who drive without spares, so having a new car im a bit more concerned.

Its called curiosity not being a master tech. Lots of master techs are curious about several things even if its silly.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
Red is being nice, but I still think you're an idiot. Why? Just why the **** would take your spare out just because you got aftermarket wheels? It's not curiosity, it's just plain stupid.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i have noticed that option when i was browsing a ford dealership looking at the gts and the gt500. I wish they had that option for the genesis.How much do run flats go for?

I just think with my luck since i drive in a radious of 30 mins once a week and 5-10 for work that i wouldnt need a spare because of the roads not having potholes and stuff.

·
13' GRAN PREMIO GRY TRACK
669 Posts
why would you want to throw the cars balance off? if anything you want to add a little bit of weight in the back to get 50/50

·
669 Posts
Less overall weight is good, poor weight distribution or less weight on the drive wheels is very bad.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
true, but there isnt much taken out because of the spare. I had my 240 without a spare even though that weighs less than the GC.

·
669 Posts
So has anyone weighed the factory jack wrench and tire combination to see if it's even worthwhile? To me shedding 30 lbs to be stranded on the side of the road in a DD isn't worth the hassle. In a track car absolutely since you have spares in the pit area

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,552 Posts
You take it out when on the track. It would make a difference over the life of the car in gas mileage. And you get more room in the trunk. And the performance gain.

Honestly the only time I've handled a spare tire is when I take it out at the track or to clean out the trunk. Most are seriously under inflated anyway.

·
669 Posts
Sure they under inflated but that's a maintenance item. It's stated in the owners manual it must be inflated prior to putting the car in service and just like you should check your tire pressures once a week when you check them for wear or foreign objects such as nails.

I am a little surprised Hyundai doesn't offer run-flats yet. I'm certain hyundai will as the GC becomes more refined.

I guess to each their own that's why there is no right or wrong way to customize your car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
until, you put a big as wing on the back and a scoop on the hood with neons glowing from it which you say gives you 1000hp then be considered rice and youll be shunned by all GC owners

·
669 Posts
until, you put a big as wing on the back and a scoop on the hood with neons glowing from it which you say gives you 1000hp then be considered rice and youll be shunned by all GC owners
Quote me if you like, but mine will see a crusher before there is park bench on the back or neon lights anywhere.

1,000 whp, it could be possible. But after leaving the high HP world in search of MPG I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts