Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the plugs for the older model the same ones. My stock plugs are shot. Should I go one step colder?

·
ABC with a GC
868 Posts
turbo cars, colder the better

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
2013 spark plugs are different according to hma service, not sure how there different but they are.........

Ngk is the oem manufacturer

Duro

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,617 Posts
The '13s take a different plug but it looks to be the same heat range as the older models.

Denso ZK20HQR8 for 2013

Denso FK20HQR8 for 2010-2012.

Probably the only place to get them is the dealer as I can't find any info on them online.

·
Always Sleepin...
528 Posts
Are the plugs for the older model the same ones. My stock plugs are shot. Should I go one step colder?
Can you post a pic of the plug?

Correct, too cold blowout issues under boost could occur too hot you can have minor detionation if you go to hot, but that is with anything. The only real no no's are platinum.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the record I bought the ngk 6619 that are recommended for the older model and they are working just fine. I can post a picture once I get home

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,617 Posts
Can you post a pic of the plug?

Correct, too cold blowout issues under boost could occur too hot you can have minor detionation if you go to hot, but that is with anything. The only real no no's are platinum.
In the past I've said the OEM Denso is dual Iridium. It is not but has an Iridium anode and Platinum electrode.

·
ABC with a GC
868 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The '13s take a different plug but it looks to be the same heat range as the older models.

Denso ZK20HQR8 for 2013

Denso FK20HQR8 for 2010-2012.

Probably the only place to get them is the dealer as I can't find any info on them online.
Wow those are expensive. Over 13 bucks each.

What is the life of these plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
turbo cars, colder the better
then would you suggest running plugs that heat up faster? lol:rofl:
You're handing out wrong info here. You leave a lot of efficiency on the table if you run a plug that's too cold. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Here's a renowned periodical excerpt from a two second google search:

As a rule of thumb, you can expect to require one heat range colder than the factory-supplied plugs for every 75-100 horsepower you’ve added with your modifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the record I bought the ngk 6619 that are recommended for the older model and they are working just fine. I can post a picture once I get home
Was the threaded length of the plug body identical between the two? I noticed the 2013 plugs are classified as an extended length....not too sure on the older GC plugs so I would physically check. Too short of a plug will cause cylinder head damage over time. Also, referencing the ZK20HQR8 plug led to an interchange part number of VKH20Y which is a Denso Iridium Tough Plus.

Reference
http://www.denso.co.jp/ja/products/aftermarket/repair_parts/plug/cross_ref/pdf/interchange.pdf

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,617 Posts
Was the threaded length of the plug body identical between the two? I noticed the 2013 plugs are classified as an extended length....not too sure on the older GC plugs so I would physically check. Too short of a plug will cause cylinder head damage over time. Also, referencing the ZK20HQR8 plug led to an interchange part number of VKH20Y which is a Denso Iridium Tough Plus.

Reference
http://www.denso.co.jp/ja/products/aftermarket/repair_parts/plug/cross_ref/pdf/interchange.pdf
The older plug cross references to the VKH20. Wonder what the difference is between the VKH20 and VKH20Y is?

A cross reference to the VKH20Y equals this.

Details about DENSO VKH20Y:

Threaddiameter: 14mm
Threadreach: 26.5mm
Seattype: flat
Hexsize: 16mm
Tipconfiguration: projected
Construction: Iridium centre, Platinum ground
Terminaltype: Removable

Possible spark plugs:

Bosch FR7NI33
Bosch F6MPP332
NGK LFR6AIXP
NGK SILFR6A6
NGK ILFR6C
NGK ILZFR6C-K
NGK SILFR6A
NGK ILFR6B
NGK ILFR6G

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,617 Posts
So for the <'13s the crossover for the Denso OEM plug is FK20HQR8(HYUNDAI)>VFKH20.

For the 13's then IKH16>IKH16>VKH16 would be the next colder but it has no Y on the end.

Foe the <13's If you want a colder Denso iridium then the FK16HQR11>VFKH16 or FK16HR11>VFKH16 are next step colder plugs. Though they are 2 steps colder than stock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is there a plug that is one step colder than stock that will fit the 2013?

With full bolt on's and a tune I am getting pretty close to the threshold for colder plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The older plug cross references to the VKH20. Wonder what the difference is between the VKH20 and VKH20Y is?

A cross reference to the VKH20Y equals this.

Details about DENSO VKH20Y:

Threaddiameter: 14mm
Threadreach: 26.5mm
Seattype: flat
Hexsize: 16mm
Tipconfiguration: projected
Construction: Iridium centre, Platinum ground
Terminaltype: Removable

Possible spark plugs:

Bosch FR7NI33
Bosch F6MPP332
NGK LFR6AIXP
NGK SILFR6A6
NGK ILFR6C
NGK ILZFR6C-K
NGK SILFR6A
NGK ILFR6B
NGK ILFR6G
Much appreciated....although you beat me to sharing the info I'm still going to post up the screenshot so as not to waste my efforts. LOL. According to the Denso Reference chart the VKH20Y and the ZK20HQR8 are identical in dimensions, but you will not find a cross reference if you use the ZK20HQR8 number through any other means except the chart provided by Denso...more than likely the info provided here will match what cross references in common databases in the near future. Lets see photo comparisons next and specifics on each plug....
The factory gap on the stock ZK20HQR8 plugs according to my feeler gauge measurements is .028". Never re-gap an iridium plug....simply providing these measurements for future reference.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,617 Posts
You can regap irdiums. Just don't touch the tips. From Denso....

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power?s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can regap irdiums. Just don't touch the tips. From Denso....

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power?s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.
They don't specify used or new plugs in their instructions. Let me clarify...Do not regap a previously ran iridium plug. The one and only time I attempted to regap previously ran iridums years ago resulted in the iridium tip passing through my combustion chamber and immediately locking up the turbine. A very expensive lesson that I've experienced. I'm not the only person this has happened to either. If someone is willing to risk their engine and/or turbo over regapping a plug that is recommended not to be regapped then they had best be on the ragged edge of competition, have deep pockets, or both. I usually stick with copper plugs for simplicities sake and the amount of cushion they provide when tuning aggressively.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts