Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
been speaking with Jeremy at SPEC, he said he was gonna try and get on the forums today.

Also he said if i would like i could bring my car to them and let them look at it.

But now i have reset the ECU and disconnected the Sensor and reconnected it and now it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This sucks I really need a clutch asap and my pockets aren't too deep right now, comp clutch isn't ready to ship yet and this seems to be a pos, may have to resort to a clutchmasters with stock flywheel. I hope spec chimes in cause this thread is pretty much killing their market with this car.

·
Registered
715 Posts
BBB and I were talking about the clutch a while ago. We agreed that it has to be the flywheel. Spec is the only ones who use aluminum. This could cause it to flex because of harmonic resonance. I really don't care how the issue is fixed I just want it right. At this point I'm ready to sell this setup for scrap and go competition. I'm tired of these guys telling me they havnt heard of this problem and that I don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
BBB and I were talking about the clutch a while ago. We agreed that it has to be the flywheel. Spec is the only ones who use aluminum. This could cause it to flex because of harmonic resonance. I really don't care how the issue is fixed I just want it right. At this point I'm ready to sell this setup for scrap and go competition. I'm tired of these guys telling me they havnt heard of this problem and that I don't know what I'm talking about.
So how's your clutch been recently? Just got my new turbo in and I don't drive much any more since I changed jobs... Now when I do take it out and try and enjoy my new trubo this thing really is killing the fun with this limp mode bullshit. I'm so close to buying the dtmspeed its not even funny. Kinda pissed because that money could go to coilovers...

Going to be hitting the 1/4 mile soon and I think I'm going to tear the thing out with my bare hands if it decides to **** with me there.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Look guys take this with a grain of salt, but another members on here had his Spec SStage 3+ installed @ the same shop I had my Competition clutch setup installed, same guys an all.

This is no joke, but the manager called the guy up to talk about the Spec kit, since he was worried about the actual quality and materials used.

They mentioned the Aluminum Flywheel first, stating that Warping could occur if the thing go heated up from hard driving or prolonged use, than also pointed out the fact that the hardware used is nothing compared to the hardware Competition clutch provided.

Also they were surprised that the bolt contact surfaces on the FW weren't sleeved with steel inserts, since the aluminum could start getting worn thus introducing slack in the FW/Crank connection.

Also, the FW bolts Spec provided weren't of the proper thread pitch so luckily they caught that because a less "involved" tech could have tried bolting the FW with those bolts and end up damaging the actual crank bolt holes.

On another note, the feel of the Stage 3+ clutch from Spec is smoother than the CC setup, the pedal is a bit less stiff and chatter noise seems less than my setup though.

Maybe after his break-in the noise level will come up, but still.

Thought I'd share. This is a non-biased recollection of what I was told by the installers.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Look guys take this with a grain of salt, but another members on here had his Spec SStage 3+ installed @ the same shop I had my Competition clutch setup installed, same guys an all.

This is no joke, but the manager called the guy up to talk about the Spec kit, since he was worried about the actual quality and materials used.

They mentioned the Aluminum Flywheel first, stating that Warping could occur if the thing go heated up from hard driving or prolonged use, than also pointed out the fact that the hardware used is nothing compared to the hardware Competition clutch provided.

Also they were surprised that the bolt contact surfaces on the FW weren't sleeved with steel inserts, since the aluminum could start getting worn thus introducing slack in the FW/Crank connection.

Also, the FW bolts Spec provided weren't of the proper thread pitch so luckily they caught that because a less "involved" tech could have tried bolting the FW with those bolts and end up damaging the actual crank bolt holes.

On another note, the feel of the Stage 3+ clutch from Spec is smoother than the CC setup, the pedal is a bit less stiff and chatter noise seems less than my setup though.

Maybe after his break-in the noise level will come up, but still.

Thought I'd share. This is a non-biased recollection of what I was told by the installers.
Interesting, the guy that did mine thought it was of pretty good quality...

But from the very biased opinion of a pissed off owner, SPEC can lick my balls...

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Interesting, the guy that did mine thought it was of pretty good quality...

But from the very biased opinion of a pissed off owner, SPEC can lick my balls...
Thank you for my new Sig.!!!:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thought I'd share with you guys, I got my spec kit stg3+ (full disk) installed this week, 250 km so far in the break in and I absolutely love the setup. I've fallen in love with my car all over again, my stock clutch was slipping for a while and it really takes the fun out of driving, no need to say that now there is 0 slip, very minor chatter can be heard sometimes when decelarating under 3000 rpm, the car idles just as stock and shifting trought all gears is a breeze. No limp or cel so far. Just feel solid.I bought this kit before the CC kit came out but no regrets so far, only time will tell.
Some pics before the install:

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
THat is 1 thing I loved about the SPEC setup, a universal bearing bung, and they provide an insert with the proper Bearing for our car.

This makes the FW very easy to fit to a lot of cars. Again visually, the SPEC kit is very nice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
this thread makes me afraid to upgrade my clutch lol. so what is the best clutch for our cars?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I thought the quality of the kit was good. I do agree with most of the points mcmonopoly pointed out though. I have run aluminum flywheels in other cars with no problems before though. This issue is very random and spread out for me but when it happens it sucks!! CJ seems to have it the worst out of everyone so far. If they don't admit it and figure it out and fix it very soon I will adopt CJs motto!! I need something that works and does so consistently. I personally installed my clutch and a CC on BBBs. I like both for different reasons. I might have to suck it up and get the CC setup if no resolution can be found with spec soon.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Thought I'd share with you guys, I got my spec kit stg3+ (full disk) installed this week, 250 km so far in the break in and I absolutely love the setup. I've fallen in love with my car all over again, my stock clutch was slipping for a while and it really takes the fun out of driving, no need to say that now there is 0 slip, very minor chatter can be heard sometimes when decelarating under 3000 rpm, the car idles just as stock and shifting trought all gears is a breeze. No limp or cel so far. Just feel solid.I bought this kit before the CC kit came out but no regrets so far, only time will tell.
If what Mcmonopoly is true,..... wait :p

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Well I'm going to get a new crank position sensor and make it so it goes a bit deeper in hopes that it reads the flywheel better. It could be the tolerances are off. Anyone know where I can get a non oem one that will work? I'd rather try with a different one than I already have.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
UPDATE: Limp mode on every dyno pull this weekend... cut out around 5500RPM. WHP was still going up too.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
UPDATE: Limp mode on every dyno pull this weekend... cut out around 5500RPM. WHP was still going up too.
whatd you make before the cut?

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
299.6whp at like 5600rpm and 316wtq.
cant wait to see some final numbers! Im getting my Competition clutch installed in about a week and then looking forward to a dyno shortly after the clutch is broke in

81 - 100 of 147 Posts