Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've had adequate time to break in this setup and let me tell you, i have loved every minute of it. First off if you don't know a Clutch and flywheel review is very dependent on the drivers opinion. that said i like to think my opinions on car parts for the Genesis thus far have been logical, fair, and as objective as possible.

Flywheel
outside of the heavier pedal the flywheel is definitely the most noticeable change. The confidence and consistancy the SMF delivers on shifting when coupled with the SPEC clutch isn't really describable but its great. rev matching is cake and no longer has that slight lurch. the reduction in rotating mass is noticable both accelerating and deccelerating. it's kinda like the feeling i got from the RRM crank pulley but better. In this car you WILL notice the advantage of the SMF over the stock DMF. i do not have the weight difference as the setup was installed in house at SPEC but i'm sure i can get stats and update the community at a later time.

Clutch
I went with the stg III six puck clutch and i will say it is very streetable. The biggest concern most people have with aftermarket drivetrain upgrades is how will it affect the day to day feel of the car. The pedal feel is noticably heavier due to the pressure plate and the clutch bite is spot on. it's not so heavy that you need superhero calves to drive but again it gives you a confidence in the shifting. SPEC has alot of setups and to keep from advertising i'll just suggest you check out the site and see what they have to offer.

Overall combination
i won't lie. the first time i started the Genesis on the lot i stalled it. The friction point was vague to me and i missed it. The first time i drove the SPEC clutch and flywheel, it was like i had been driving it forever. The first time i put my foot in the clutch i smiled. It just felt right. Popped the car into reverse and the friction point was intuitive. Could be because i'm so used to the Genesis now, or it could be it just felt that natural. Driving the car is extremely natural. Shifts do bite back if you don't keep it honest though. But it just feels like the car should have come this way from the factory. It really is an upgrade i would advise to anyone that is going to mildly modify the car. in my experience with the parts i've tried i would say the SMF/clutch and a proper coilover setup could run a car with I/H/E. The SMF flywheel just transmits the tq of the engine better. I really want engine mounts to further help the drivetrain.

The bad part
Not everything is all roses. It wasn't unexpected but yes there is a noise increase. At cold idle there is increased vibration and a little rattle due to the change to a SMF and the loss of vibration dampening. Nothing huge, but if you love your car you will notice. Also, remember when i said shifts bite back if you're not honest? Well you will get chatter if you do not smoothly/confidently engage first gear. I'm not saying point and shoot, but you have to drive the car like a sports car. Also 5000 rpm comes quick in first gear now. And you really need to keep the car at or above 2000 rpm when cruising to avoid a lugging sound. I dont remember if the car made that sound before or not.

Conclusion
I love it. I'm glad i had the opportunity to work with SPEC and provide my car for fitment and review. I'm sure the other flywheel and clutch combinations are equally as good, but if you ask me, I will suggest SPEC as that is what I have and I love it. Thanks to Jeremy and all the other guys at SPEC. i've got a S13 that's gonna need some clamp in a few months and i know what i'm getting.

Edit: gogogear has great pics of the SPEC stuff. check it out
GO GO GEAR Racing | Facebook

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the review, This is my next upgrade.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This was a upgrade i wanted to do but never got a chance to. I drove Bad's ride a bit and can agree with most of his review. Pedal effort might be a little more than whats needed if your keeping your car n/a but the engagement is smoother than stock and not at the floor board. Also the flywheel alone is probably worth the money to install. stock DMF is the worst i've driven.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't have pics as it was installed at SPECs shop and they tested a few different combinations to verify US fitment. Their tech tells me it took him 45 minutes to drop the trans and change everything. but he is a professional. i think they ended up trying 3 pressure plates and 4 clutches but put in the stg 3 because that's what i asked for. the SPEC experience was great. i highly recommend to everyone that if the opportunity arises to lend your car for testing to a major parts manufacturer you do what you can to make it happen. i'm very thankful to SPEC for hooking up my ride. When the turbo goes in i'm gonna take it back and let them see just how i'm making use of the parts they donated to me.

for pics of install i would suggest looking at gogogears facebook page. they used a 4 puck but it's still alot of pics and you get a good idea of what's involved. it's no different than any other clutch and flywheel install tho. and you do'nt have to drain the trans for our cars.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
clutch and disk is like any other spec setup, its that flywheel that's the deal maker.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for the info. I'm hoping to have my 3+ in next week. My OEM setup makes a bunch of rattle and clatter already, judging by your description I'm thinking it won't be any worse than what I have now. At least there'll be a good reason for the noise now instead of just the craptastic oem dmf.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
^ honestly i think the noise was less than my oem dmf. Not enough to really stress over thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've driven standards my entire life and I struggle a bit w/ the stock engagement/ flywheel weight.

I have to give it too much gas to prevent it from stalling and sometimes I spin the tires instead. I have to remind my gf to stabilize that glass of wine when I'm taking off!

Is that because the flywheel is too light or because I'm a 'tard or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as heavy as the stock flywheel is if you have problems staying off the gas getting moving then the lightened smf will not be your friend. i found the stock setup very driveable but not performance oriented. i can't tell you why you seem to struggle with the stock setup at times but if you're not confident with that setup i would say you may want to wait before jumping to a performance setup. or see if you can meet up with someone that has a performance clutch and flywheel so you can feel the difference before spending your money. it's night and day on my car now from the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
^ lightened flywheel will indeed not help him off the line, but the fact its going dmf to smf will. The problem with dmf is the clutch engagement/feel. Its hit or miss. I believe the dmf has 5-10 degrees of movement (could be wrong) before energy is transmitted to the clutch. If your really soft on the clutch that means from no movement too to much fairly quickly.

It takes getting use to , but switch to smf even with a stock clutch setup and it will feel like night and day in my experience.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I don't mean to imply that I can't drive the car.

It's just for example my 2 previous cars thqat both had manuals owned over the previous 5 years, I honestly probably never stalled them once over those 5 years. I was also always very easy on the clutch as I could basically let it out at idle and just roll into the throttle greatly reducing clutch wear.

My Gen Coupe, owned for about 1 month, has honestly probably been stalled 5-10x by me and I'm abusing the clutch at times to prevent a stall at an inconvient time.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
So I ordered mine... should be here tomorrow. Any tips/hiccups in the install that I should let a shop know about, or would any shop worth a damn be able to get it right? I'd assume its pretty similar between the 3.8 and 2.0, just a little less exhaust in the way.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I gotta assume its going to be straight forward swap. Might want to verify how the breakin is suggested from spec. Some say drive hard for 50 miles, others say baby it for 500.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Been driving on my 3+ w/ smf since Tuesday and would have to say the review is pretty much spot on. I get a little chatter at idle with the A/C on, some chatter/noise when flooring it under load at 2000rpm, but aside from that it's really nice. Haven't had a chance to dog on it yet but after today I should have about 250 easy miles on it so I'll be putting it through a nice workout tomorrow.

I did get some bucking in reverse once but since I got my transmission swapped at the same time I'm not sure which one caused that. Unfortunately I'm leaning towards the new transmission being crap as well since coming out of 5th gear locks me out of 3rd until I hit 4th or 6th first. I really hate the POS transmission in this car.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I ordered and paid for the stage 3 but got the 3+ sent to me :/. Guess I saved some money lol. It's gettin installed now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts