Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing discussions from and deleted thread :)
Knock isn't as much a problem as surge. I never ran into any knock all the way up to 25psi in 100* weather with the OEM turbo and CMD. The damn 13T spools so quick it'll get compressor surge quick though if you floor it below 2500 and have any boost offset programmed in.

As soon as I started upping boost on my stage 3 tune I started getting knock though, right about 24psi down low Any more than 21psi at redline and I'm getting knock too, had to switch to a 93 & E85 mix. Knock gone now.
I got the OP's symptoms when I did this while the CMD was in use, and I had all 0's in the map i was using for anything below 3k rpm. therefore, I expected it to make no changes before 3k rpm, but I STILL got the stumbling below 2500. I loaded the 0 map, and it all went away, took the CMD off and it all went away... So I just left it off and sold it because I thought I was doing something wrong. BTW, I had great AFRs all the way to redline (.78 until 5k, and .79 after5k), but still had the stumble.

So I'm wondering if there is an inherent problem with the CMD...

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
No stumble on mine, vu's, my wifes, kamkazes (0 map), renzo088, badboybill, etc. I think it has to do with install and config if people are getting stumbling below 2500. I've got the first CMD installed and used on Gencoupe on my wifes car and another on mine that was bought about 4 months later.No issues caused by the CMD for me ever.

Only issues I've had have been user problems. Didn't clip crank sensor all the way once, forgot to put fuel scalar in once, loaded wifes map onto my car once, melted part of the harness on the exhaust manifold and had to cut/solder together, melted enough to make the car not run right from all the wires inside the harness touching, since it melted while the car was running. All that and both engines AND cmd's are still running great. I know people that blow their engines want to say there's something with the CMD causing it, but in all those cases it's something different. Hell I've been close to popping my engine a few times I'm sure, when you're running too much boost, floor it, and your engine sounds like a bowl of rice crispies briefly...

That's what I did to the harness on my wifes car when I forgot to secure it next to the manifold. The car was RUNNING while this happened and is still running afterwards. The wires on the inside were all touching. If this doesn't cause an engine to blow, pretty sure no other "cmd glitch" could.

AKGC's blew his and was "tuning" with a narrow band for a while and running stock injectors, then apparently he was just "hiding" that he had different injectors and a wb. Bad tune

HardMack blew his by trying to run WAAAY to much boost out of the stock turbo. They were making like 270+whp on a dynojet with the stock turbo, IIRC, pushing like 18+psi at redline. Bad tune.

BMahon already said his car was running poorly and making noises but he continued to go WOT and "tweaked" his tune. IIRC his tuner didn't even set MAP and TIP clamps when he went in. Bad tune.

Just wait until people get access to the ECU itself. I'm sure the number of popped engines is going to tripple.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
I still think its a low rpm knock issue.

You cant WOT in a turbod car in low rpms in high gear. Thats asking for trouble.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess you've been luck, Crooked ;)

Like I said, I basically had the 0 map at anything below 3k and still got WOT stumble at lower RPMs. Granted I never did it on purpose, it still happened.

I totally agree that once the community cracks the ECU, we will see many more threads about popped motors. Which is why I'll be taking mine to a professional, and learning :)

I really hope that one of the vendors here get into the ECU after we crack it for them and give us safe canned tunes as a starting point, much like the PowerX tunes from BR.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Guess you've been luck, Crooked ;)

Like I said, I basically had the 0 map at anything below 3k and still got WOT stumble at lower RPMs. Granted I never did it on purpose, it still happened.

I totally agree that once the community cracks the ECU, we will see many more threads about popped motors. Which is why I'll be taking mine to a professional, and learning :)

I really hope that one of the vendors here get into the ECU after we crack it for them and give us safe canned tunes as a starting point, much like the PowerX tunes from BR.
Any of the existing tunes out now will be able to be downloaded and uploaded, most likely, using the open source software :)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Just in case the other op tries for warranty.

Ex toyota owner here and its a really bad idea to post everything thats going on in a forum. Toyota used to search local forums down here when people kept trying to claim their broken 2zz engines and c60 transmisions (celica gt-s, matrix and corolla Xrs). A lot a poeple got busted, they even use to send "agents" to the local race track and take pics of poeple racing their cars lol

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
No stumble on mine, vu's, my wifes, kamkazes (0 map), renzo088, badboybill, etc. I think it has to do with install and config if people are getting stumbling below 2500. I've got the first CMD installed and used on Gencoupe on my wifes car and another on mine that was bought about 4 months later.No issues caused by the CMD for me ever.

Only issues I've had have been user problems. Didn't clip crank sensor all the way once, forgot to put fuel scalar in once, loaded wifes map onto my car once, melted part of the harness on the exhaust manifold and had to cut/solder together, melted enough to make the car not run right from all the wires inside the harness touching, since it melted while the car was running. All that and both engines AND cmd's are still running great. I know people that blow their engines want to say there's something with the CMD causing it, but in all those cases it's something different. Hell I've been close to popping my engine a few times I'm sure, when you're running too much boost, floor it, and your engine sounds like a bowl of rice crispies briefly...

That's what I did to the harness on my wifes car when I forgot to secure it next to the manifold. The car was RUNNING while this happened and is still running afterwards. The wires on the inside were all touching. If this doesn't cause an engine to blow, pretty sure no other "cmd glitch" could.

AKGC's blew his and was "tuning" with a narrow band for a while and running stock injectors, then apparently he was just "hiding" that he had different injectors and a wb. Bad tune

HardMack blew his by trying to run WAAAY to much boost out of the stock turbo. They were making like 270+whp on a dynojet with the stock turbo, IIRC, pushing like 18+psi at redline. Bad tune.

BMahon already said his car was running poorly and making noises but he continued to go WOT and "tweaked" his tune. IIRC his tuner didn't even set MAP and TIP clamps when he went in. Bad tune.

Just wait until people get access to the ECU itself. I'm sure the number of popped engines is going to tripple.

LOL that looks just like the harness i fixed today! cut on each side of the
melted cable and spliced it back together!

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
And for the record i will be creating different canned tunes for specific mods, which means i
will take all mods on my car off and do a tune for stock, then the typical mods(CAI/SRI, 02
pipe/downpipe, full exhaust with and without cats, and resonator), then a few turbo
specific for the EVO X and EVO 8/9 with supporting mods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts