Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased and installed a Stage 2 BTR tune as the title to this thread says. Everything was running fine the night I installed the new ECU. The next morning I woke up and drove to class and a CEL came on. Checked the codes and got P0036 (x2) and a P2096 code. The tune I received should have the secondary O2 off, and was confirmed to be off by a friend with an OBDII scanner. The codes that are showing are described below:

P0036 - Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2
P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1

I cleared the codes and drove lightly all day to see if the code would reappear and nothing. Than the next morning I go to start the car and the CEL appears again, same codes, once again cleared codes and they didn't appear all day until the next morning.

My AFR are as follows:
Idle 13.1-13.8
Cruising 12.0-13.8
WOT 10.0-10.9

My mods are listed in my sig and I am running the NGK 1 step colder plugs gaped at .030 as well. Any and all help from someone who has had similar issues or can give some advice would be appreciated and if you need anymore information on my car I can provide whatever is needed. Thank you in advance.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Is the second O2 sensor plugged in? When they disable the second O2 generally they just turn off the CEL trigger. It still sets codes but the light does not come on. But the faulty heater code means the O2 heater is not working which it should. Can you get a reading of the second O2 sensor, voltage or temperature wise? Is the fuse good for the second O2?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is the second O2 sensor plugged in? When they disable the second O2 generally they just turn off the CEL trigger. It still sets codes but the light does not come on. But the faulty heater code means the O2 heater is not working which it should. Can you get a reading of the second O2 sensor, voltage or temperature wise? Is the fuse good for the second O2?
+1!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second O2 was not installed after I put on the TurboXS O2 pipe. I capped it off until I got my AFR gauge installed, which was the next day. I haven't checked the fuse for the second O2, although I will once I am out of class.

I haven't gotten a code on my usual drive to class (10-15min). Which is good and weird because if it throws a code it is always after a cold start within the time frame of driving from my house to class.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with the stage 2 tune the second O2 has to be installed even though it is turned off?

If this is the case I am assuming I need to have another bung welded into the O2 pipe for the AFR O2.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rumor 3: 2nd o2 sensor is needed for proper AFR

Fact 3: 2nd o2 sensor is there for emissions purposes only, BTRcc's tune has the option to turn off the 2nd o2 sensor for those running no cats.

This is pulled directly from a thread posted by BTRcc, hence why I didn't install the 2nd O2

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
The second O2 os to test the cat to see if it is working. I don't know about BTRcc actually turning off the O2. I would say if you are getting an O2 heater code then it is not turned off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main reason I didn't install the secondary O2 was because I assumed the tune would run rich and instead of throwing the P2096 code for too lean conditions I would assume the deletion of the primary cat with the tune would cause a too rich condition and throw a different CEL not turned off by the ECU.

I agree that I think the O2 may not have been turned off though. I will try getting in contact with BTR and see what they say.

Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have sent them a PM, I will also email them directly as well.

As it stands right now the CEL is off and has been off all morning. Hoping it stays this way.

Either way I will keep the thread updated with whatever happens.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
You can get an O2 bung that does not require welding, just drill a hole and then a band bung wraps around the pipe.. But the second O2 is pretty useful for temperature monitoring.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just went to start the car to drove to lunch and CEL was on, scanned the codes and got

2x P2096
1x P0036

I checked both fuses and they are fine.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Mine always shows the P2096 as pending but the CEL is not on. You will always have the 2096 pending no matter what. And you will always have this too. Just no CEL light.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It must be an issue with the ECU than, not sure why it keeps flipping the CEL on.

I checked for exhaust leaks earlier and couldn't find any. It is more of an annoyance to have to continually turn the CEL off than anything else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing yet, I am still waiting for a response.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would try to install stock ecu for acouple of days and see if it codes back for the p0036. If it doesnt then its possible ecu is to blame since it send voltage to the heater i think.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts