Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I purchased some Stance SS coilovers and installed just over a week ago. I did the installation with a friend since I didn't want to pay to get it done.

I drove it as it was (without any proper height adjustment or alignment) for about a week (under 500km) and everything felt really fine. It was definitely more stiff but nothing major. We had set the softness to about midway (either 7 or 8) since it was 15 adjustable. Problem with that is it doesn't say which way to turn for softer or stiffer so that's why we just decided to turn it from one direction 7 times.

When I put them in, the front was too high and the back was too low. But I only ever bottomed out once while I was doing about 80km/h on the highway going over a pothole that I didn't see. Other than that I had no problems.

Of course, after I paid a shop to adjust the height and give me a proper alignment, the back end is making loud thumping noises after every little bump. They're not always very loud but it makes me uncomfortable, and at first I was scared to drive it.

I took it back to the shop and the mechanic took it for a drive with me, and of course it's not making the loud thumping noises. They explained to me that sometimes the spring has to settle. On the drive home it was much better.

THE NEXT DAY (today), it starts happening again. Even just coming up on to my drive way it makes a hollow thump sound (not super loud but noticably annoying). It's really irritating for me to drive but I don't want to take it back to the shop and have them think I'm just crazy?!

Does this make any sense? When I had the coils in without adjustment/alignment it drove like a dream! just looked silly since the front was high and back was low. After I get the heights adjusted and tires aligned it is going crazy with the noise!

The roads in my area are much much worse than the area around the shop, so that could potentially explain why when he drove it there wasn't a lot of noise. He took it to a relatively un-smooth road and the car handled it amazingly.

It seems to make those noises on sudden changes in the road, like those manholes that are deeper than the road itself, or pot holes, or speed bumps more often than compared to just uneven pavement.

Normally I would just think they are simply too stiff.. but like I said, I had them in for a week before adjustment and they were totally fine!! If anything the back end was raised up... how could it get worse?!

Could the alignment have something to do with it?? Or am I going insane...

I am going to shut up about it for a week since they said to wait a week and see if the springs settle... I figure I'd post this and see if anyone has any clue what is going on so when I go back to the shop I have some info instead of just sounding like a nutjob.

Appreciate any help... thanks! :dunno:

·
Registered
469 Posts
sounds like something isnt tightened down properly, i had the end link on of my front coils (BC) loosen up on me and it would make clicking/ticking noises. that were very loud on the inside so i can only imagine what the outside sounded like, quick easy fix no biggie . but since its the rear in your case id jack it up check the collars make sure everything is tight check the coil mounting hardware maybe u missed one? and all other associated hardware just give it a good thorough once over

·
Registered
469 Posts
@ jason r u talking about the bump stop!?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah I can understand thumps when I hit some of the bigger bumps at speed.. But again the main thing is that I had the coils in for a week and they felt perfect. After adjustment and alignment then I start getting the problems. What could have the shop done to do that?

One of my buddies said it could be possible they adjusted the preload in attempt to adjust the height ?

They were also saying something about "a rubber piece" that fits above the plastic thing above the springs .. Ok I know that's a horrible description but I don't know very much about this stuff. Anyway when installing I didn't recall any rubber parts.

Also, when I took it back to the shop I told them that my right back wheel was the loudest to me and they took the wheel off and looked and made sure everything was tight. They just kept telling me that the springs had to settle.

They said if it doesn't settle then they might have to adjust the spring and strut tension (or whatever) so that they're absorbing the same amount of weight (or something).. Does any of this sound legitimate ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
These are the areas I would check-

1. Make sure your front coilover springs are preloaded at least 5-10mm ( if it's a 180mm spring, compress it to 170-175mm ). From there, do all ride height adjustment at the shock body, and not at the spring preload adjustment rings.

2. Make sure your rear springs are preloaded at least 20mm ( If it is a 180mm spring, compress it to 160mm , use a jack under the control arm and measure the spring compression with a tape measure ). Adjust the spring perch height, and spring preload first, then adjust the rear shock body height to match the exact height that is left over after adjusting the perch and preload )

3. Make sure your endlinks are very tight. If you are on OEM Hyundai style endlinks, you will need to stick a 17mm wrench on the endlink bolt behind the sway bar ( there are flat spots to slide the wrench onto ) , then tighten the endlink nut on the front side of the swaybar with a 19mm deep socket or box wrench. If you are on aftermarket style endlinks, you might have to stick an allen key in the hole at the top of the endlink bolt, then tighten with a 19mm box wrench.

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
These are the areas I would check-

1. Make sure your front coilover springs are preloaded at least 5-10mm ( if it's a 180mm spring, compress it to 170-175mm ). From there, do all ride height adjustment at the shock body, and not at the spring preload adjustment rings.

2. Make sure your rear springs are preloaded at least 20mm ( If it is a 180mm spring, compress it to 160mm , use a jack under the control arm and measure the spring compression with a tape measure ). Adjust the spring perch height, and spring preload first, then adjust the rear shock body height to match the exact height that is left over after adjusting the perch and preload )

3. Make sure your endlinks are very tight. If you are on OEM Hyundai style endlinks, you will need to stick a 17mm wrench on the endlink bolt behind the sway bar ( there are flat spots to slide the wrench onto ) , then tighten the endlink nut on the front side of the swaybar with a 19mm deep socket or box wrench. If you are on aftermarket style endlinks, you might have to stick an allen key in the hole at the top of the endlink bolt, then tighten with a 19mm box wrench.
Good info

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's a great write up. I don't understand any of it but I will definitely show it to my mechanics. Really sucks when you are afraid to drive your car :( and sucks worse when you can't even show the problem to your mechanic to have it properly diagnosed and fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
Sure you're not hitting the little tab that connect the bumer to the fender?

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
If they went lower on the rear, perhaps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm taking it back to the shop this saturday. I'm going to get them to set the pre-load as kepone had laid out and get them to align the wheels as close to factory settings as possible. also i might get them to raise the height by half an inch. hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
make sure the locks are tight that you use to lower and raise the coils its the bottom lock on the coils that you use the wreches they gave you for the coiils. i had this problem with my cx racing i figured they would be tight from the factory but i never checked them out and then i had thumping noises and realized those parts we re lose

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have the same coils and also had a thumping noise when going over bumpers. Turned out that the rubber grommet/padding/whatever that goes on the rear spring came apart. The top tore from the bottom. Just glued them back together and the sound went away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i took it back to the shop yesterday because i was tired of not enjoying driving my car because of the noises,

i asked them to raise the height (since i was scraping on some bumps and ramps) and realign and make sure everything is tight.

they did that and it actually made my car even worse.

they didn't touch the stiffness setting yet the back end of my car is incredibly stiff. there is no give at all, and if i hit any sort of bump, it will studder as the back end of my car will jump and down causing me to lose grip.

i'm fkin' done with this shop, i'm taking it to another one later today and hopefully they'll know what they are doing.

what's the best way to get my money back from this original shop?

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Is that rear boot cover always crunched up?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts