Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm not sure if it's something i'm doing wrong or if something is wrong with the car. I get in with my smart key, put my foot on the brake, push the button and the "key indicator light" (don't know what else to call it, shows an outline of a key in the outline of a car) comes on but the car does not start. Push button again and all the indicator lights come on. Push it once more and everything goes off. Push it again and the key indicator light lights up and it goes thru this same cycle again every time you push the start button, but the *$&^#%$& CAR WON'T START! :mad2: It's been in this "non-start loop" all afternoon thus far. It did the same thing a couple of times before w/in the past month, but I eventually got it to start. What could be wrong here? My technique or something with the GC's electrical system? :dunno:

·
Feelin' fine.
304 Posts
My only thought is to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then plug it back in.

Usually fixed some problems on my last car, lol. But I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had the isssue once where my brake pedal was jammed and I couldn't press it to get the car started, it's happened only once though, and I was able to get it started shortly after.

·
WTF is NOS???
1,146 Posts
Press and hold the start button for like 20 seconds, until the car starts. it could be a faulty brake switch, or could be that the pedal is too hard and youre not pushing it in far enough..... After the car starts, shut it off and try starting it normally, if it starts it probably was the latter issue, if not, contact the dealer and set up an appointment.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Been there done that. Most likely a bad brake switch. The 20 sec hold will bypass it and start. It is intermittent so take it in when you can to get it fixed.
It's a well known problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car did this intermittently until I figured out that the wires going to the brake switch were not plugged into the brake switch correctly. Just like every other electrical connection on the car, there is a locking tab on the connector that locks it in place when seated properly. Mine was not pushed all the way in from the factory so it barely made contact and caused this issue. Pull the connector off the brake switch and re seat it firmly until you hear and feel it 'click' into place. If the problem persists have the switch replaced.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car did this intermittently until I figured out that the wires going to the brake switch were not plugged into the brake switch correctly. Just like every other electrical connection on the car, there is a locking tab on the connector that locks it in place when seated properly. Mine was not pushed all the way in from the factory so it barely made contact and caused this issue. Pull the connector off the brake switch and re seat it firmly until you hear and feel it 'click' into place. If the problem persists have the switch replaced.
'scuse thee ignorance, but where is the brake switch connector located? Somewhere around the brake pedal? Or, issit in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Faulty Brake Switch - Take to dealership for 15 minute replacement under warranty. It is a known issue. Best way to prove it is when you go to start your car, if your brake lights aren't lit up, then that is 100% guaranteed to be your problem. Key symbol on the dash is known as the immobilizer icon.

·
Registered
188 Posts
dunno if those solutions really addressed your problem but i had the same thing, got in the car pushed on the brake, push the ignition button but nothing over and over. it happens so rarely for me though that what i have learned is that if it just wont start, shift into neutral while the car is off, push the car maybe 2 feet then try starting the car, mine starts up every time. thats more of a temporary solution though, should probably get it looked at

·
Registered
348 Posts
Had this problem over 2 years ago when the car was new. Bad brake switch.
Had the problem again last week. Bad brake switch. I've mentioned this before but the brake switch is actually 2 switches in the same unit. One actuates the brake lights and the other tells the car your foot is on the brake. You might still have brake lights with the won't start. 1st time 2 years ago no brake lights. This time the brake lights worked. Amazingly it wouldn't start for the dealer. The guy goes to move the car and tells me it won't start. I start laughing. The tech actually saw the problem. That never happens...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if it's a recurring problem, i.e. will the new switch in mine now fail again after about 5 to 10K miles, or has Hyundai solved the problem with a longer-lasting part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, I have over 83k on my 3.8 coupe.
Get out of the car, and the door locks all by itself! Get in the car and the ignition won't start without the smart key in the holder. Immobilizer lifts up occasionally, but not all the time. Dealer suggested a new battery for key fob. (didn't change anything).
Tried the spare key as well. This just started happening has really gotten frustrating.
Do not need a $$$ bill from dealer to fix this. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
811 Posts
As has been pointed out, it is most likely the brake switch. It happened on my new 2010 that I bought in May, 2009 - within a couple of months. I diagnosed it and was right. The dealer shop guy said that Hyundai had changed suppliers to save a few cents and the new supplier switch was poor quality. Go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As has been pointed out, it is most likely the brake switch. It happened on my new 2010 that I bought in May, 2009 - within a couple of months. I diagnosed it and was right. The dealer shop guy said that Hyundai had changed suppliers to save a few cents and the new supplier switch was poor quality. Go for it.
I walked into the garage this AM, with my spare key.
Opened the door, got in pushed the start button, everything was back to normal. Guess I'll sit and wait to see if it happens again. If it does, I'll replace the brake light switch first.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same problem last night. No give what so ever on the brake. Like the brake was totally nonfunctional. Played around with the push button and brake for about 30 seconds and it cranked up. It's a 2011 so it continues to be an unresolved issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont have a Hundai, but I do have a push-button start. I was looking for other people that were having problems with push-button start cars, trying to see if this is a continuing problem. I have a brand new Kia Soul with the push button start. I took it in to the dealer a week ago because 4 times in 1 week it would NOT start! They supposedly fixed the issue (they said it was a key sensor). It worked for a few days, and now wont start at all! It has been sitting in the parking lot where I work for the last 3 almost 4 days. The Kia is made by the same people that make Hundai, so I am guessing they are using the same cheap parts they used in your car! It sucks! I had 9 miles on my car when I bought it, still has less than 3000 miles 2 months later. I am really regretting buying this push button starting car and wishing I had stuck with an American made car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts