Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*SOLVED* Starting issues - won't fire up

2010 2.0T R-Spec with 80k miles. Battery recently replaced. Car will inconsistently start up. The engine will turn over but it won't fire up. I replaced my spark plugs (originals) and that did not seem to fix it. This morning it took 4 attempts to get the car to start up.

Potential Causes:
Fuel
Injectors - clogged/blocked injector, not enough fuel
Filter - clogged filter, not enough fuel flow from pump

Spark
Plugs - replaced
Coils - bad coil
Starter - weak turnover from starter motor

Air
Intake/filter - not enough airflow

Any other thoughts? Quickest/best way to diagnose at home? I prefer DIY but also don't want to be out of action too long (I fortunately live close enough to work that I can walk/bike if needed).

edit: car seems to reliably start once engine has warmed up.

update: checked under the car for grounding wire issues. turns out the bolts connecting the starter motor to the transmission housing vibrated loose after doing my clutch install. there was a comical amount of play in the starter motor. so, torque ya bolts to spec lest they run away from you! and throw a little threadlocker on there for good measure if you're concerned (if you lose a bolt, they are M10 x 1.25). replaced the missing bolt, tightened up the remaining bolt, threadlockered both. car fired right up!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the service manual calls out a gap of 0.0394 - 0.0433", so i made sure the gap was around 0.0420". checking the plugs that i pulled out, they're between 0.025 - 0.030, so a much smaller gap. not sure if the plug style makes a difference.

OE - denso FK2OHQR8
replaced with - autolite XP5325

autolite's website lists a 0.030" gap...so maybe i do need to regap these. hmm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't believe plugs would be the plugs although changing them would never hurt. I ran into an intermittent start on my fiances SUV with the same issue you were having of once but like yours once it started running she was golden. Turned out to be the fuel pump, or so we believe before we just got a new car. If your car isnt the push to start variety try priming the pump first. Turn key to on (but not the crank) and off a few times and listen for the whine of the pump. If it starts up immediately everytime you prime it you know its most likely fuel related. (The pump)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update: checked under the car for grounding wire issues. turns out the bolts connecting the starter motor to the transmission housing vibrated loose after doing my clutch install. there was a comical amount of play in the starter motor. so, torque ya bolts to spec lest they run away from you! and throw a little threadlocker on there for good measure if you're concerned (if you lose a bolt, they are M10 x 1.25, length varies with position on the transmission housing). replaced the missing bolt, tightened up the remaining bolt, threadlockered both. car fired right up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts