Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Germany,

I need your help. I have a genesis coupe 2011 3.8 Automatic. My steering wheel starts shaking at 100 to 120 km / h. Sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes it is completely gone for 3 to 4 days. You can drive the car extremely - nothing trembles. Then I put the car in my garage and the next day it suddenly comes back. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes it's just easy.

I have already renewed the entire front axle. Including steering gear. Nothing helps. Also the wheel hubs and brake discs. Also the wishbones.

I've also swapped tires and rims. Sometimes it got a little better, sometimes it got worse. The tires have already been balanced several times. I also tried other tires and other rims. Always the same. Sometimes more sometimes less. I'm slowly going insane.

You don't notice any vibration in the car. Only the steering wheel trembles in a quick left-right movement approx. 1-3 millimeters. It only appears at a speed of 100-120 km / h. I have already swapped the main drive shaft for another one, but that didn't change anything.

Nobody feels anything in the car, only the driver in the steering wheel. I have also tried other wheel rings, nothing helped.

I don't know what else to swap so that it stops. I therefore ask for your help. I only used original parts for the front axle. All things new.

I hope you understand everything, I took google translator :)

Please help me to find a solution for this.

·
Premium Member
16,320 Posts
Hello from Germany,

I need your help. I have a genesis coupe 2011 3.8 Automatic. My steering wheel starts shaking at 100 to 120 km / h. Sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes it is completely gone for 3 to 4 days. You can drive the car extremely - nothing trembles. Then I put the car in my garage and the next day it suddenly comes back. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes it's just easy.

I have already renewed the entire front axle. Including steering gear. Nothing helps. Also the wheel hubs and brake discs. Also the wishbones.

I've also swapped tires and rims. Sometimes it got a little better, sometimes it got worse. The tires have already been balanced several times. I also tried other tires and other rims. Always the same. Sometimes more sometimes less. I'm slowly going insane.

You don't notice any vibration in the car. Only the steering wheel trembles in a quick left-right movement approx. 1-3 millimeters. It only appears at a speed of 100-120 km / h. I have already swapped the main drive shaft for another one, but that didn't change anything.

Nobody feels anything in the car, only the driver in the steering wheel. I have also tried other wheel rings, nothing helped.

I don't know what else to swap so that it stops. I therefore ask for your help. I only used original parts for the front axle. All things new.

I hope you understand everything, I took google translator :)

Please help me to find a solution for this.
do you have wheel spacers on the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I have from H & r 3065675

But before I installed this I had the same problem. The wheel spacers have only changed one thing:

Before I installed it, for example, when I braked from 160 km / h to 100 km / h, I also had a vibration in the brake pedal. The same as in the steering wheel. After the installation, the vibration in the brake pedal was gone. the track plates have not changed any more.

Today I still installed the original brake discs in connection with the wheel spacer but there were no changes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 2010 3.8 Automatic has been doing this for a while also. I believe it is the rubber flex disk ("guibo") at one of the ends of the drive shaft (I hear that only one end tends to crack). Have you checked that? Search this forum for that and you'll get all the details. Hyundai will try to sell you the whole drive shaft when all you need is the rubber disc and I believe that BMW sells the rubber part individually and happens to fit. I purchased one a couple of years ago but just have not installed it yet. I'm guessing that changes in temperature could effect the rubber stiffness and cause vibration or not... just a guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, yes, I looked after the rubber flex disk. they're pretty tough on mine. But I had bought a used drive shaft with only 4000 km installed to try it out, because the rubber flex disks were softer. It had brought no change. There were no cracks in it. Unfortunately I don't find the problem. If the rubber flex disks cause problems, shouldn't the whole car vibrate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've also swapped tires for new ones several times.

• Michelin PS4 Bad shaking Summer - Hard tire
  • Hancook EVO 25% Better Summer - Soft mixed tire
  • Bridgestone Bad shaking Summer - Hard tire

• Michelin Alpin 25% Winter better - Soft tire
  • Hancook Winter 40% better - Soft tire

I was also at the Hunter workshop. Without success.

Winter tires make the whole thing better by about 40-50%. But strong vibrations with 3 different summer tires.

I have 4 different types of rims also tried the original rims. Tremble extremely with original rims. I think that the softer the tire is, the softer the tire swallows something. I also tried 3 different brake discs without success.

It just changes from day to day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes, however, seldom completely gone. At the moment it changes from day to day again.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,691 Posts
I had an issue like this on another car. Could not get them balanced. So I did it on the car with the wheel in the air spinning at about 60 mph. Them trial and error on some sticky weights.

But I think your issue may be suspension or hub issues with all the tire/wheel change. I would not know how to diagnose short of new hubs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi i dont know what time it starts. I have change many parts, the complete front axle but nothing changed. I have make a video, i dont know if this normaly or not. If you moved the steering wheel in a special frequency as seen in the video you hear a noice from inside the steering gear box. it comes from the right side. Sorry Video is in german but you can hear the noice. I have changed the steering gear box but the same. Also the joint assy and end assy tie rod but no change. Can anybody say if this normal? If you start the engine it is the same but not so loud.

Here the link to the video: WhatsApp Video 2021 11 19 at 12 48 36

It starts at 0:20 Seconds

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,691 Posts
is there any resistance when the 'knock' happens? Just where is the noise coming from? You should be able to feel that when laying on the hands and someone working the wheel, I would think.

On past cars I have had the spline u joint that the steering column and rack connection being loose has caused strange issues. If you can get where you can watch the joint closely for movement when slightly turning the steering wheel.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,691 Posts
You have changed the rack? Is that what you mean gear box? That area is the inner tie rod end.

When the outer tie rod is off, the inner tie rod should be stiff enough to stick out on it's own or offer resistance to drooping/dropping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes i have changed the the complete rack / gear box. But nothing changed, The noise is the same like something knock on any thing

I dont know if this is normal or not? Can anybody try this at his genesis where have not the steering wheel vibration?

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
822 Posts
If the weather where you live is cold and you park the car overnight, you could be having flat spots on the tires where they contacted the garage floor, or the driveway. Usually the vibration will quit after driving for a few miles. The drive shaft should not cause the problem. If the guibos get really bad you could have some vibration in the entire car, but that would not cause your shaking steering wheel problem. If you can where you live get a road force balance on all your tires. I got a new set of Michelins once and had a horrible vibration going on over 60 mph.. I took the car back to the tire shop where I bought them and a road force balance showed that one of the new tires must have left the factory with belts that were out of position. They replaced that tire and the vibration was gone.

Reactions: lvdukerider
1 - 20 of 21 Posts