Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently installed a second hand Stillen cat-back purchased from a forum member here who was unhappy with the drone. My car is a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track with Manual transmission. I just wanted to give my opinion as everyone's opinions on sound differ. Before making the purchase, I did my research and it seemed like a lot of people where having issues with drone between 2k and 3k rpm. Well after installation I have mixed feelings. To me, the exhaust isn't really loud like I was expecting it to be. You can definitely tell it is there, but it is far from annoying. It sounds pleasingly aggressive on acceleration, but is is comparable to stock at idle or cruise. In my opinion, I would grade this exhaust as mild.

As for drone, there is a tiny bit present, but I had no problems hearing my radio at a low level or carrying on a conversation over the speaker phone. So now I have to wonder, am I that deaf or why would this exhaust sound so different from all the reviews I have read? I have had an 04 RX8 with Greddy SP2 cat-back, 06 Pontiac GTO with SPL Loudmouth exhaust, and an 09 Challenger SRT8 with dual Flowmaster Super 44's. All three of these vehicles where at least twice as loud as the Stillen cat-back and with plenty more drone.

Besides the sound, fit and finish was ok. I didn't like the u-bolts that came with the kit to hold the individual pieces together (seemed like it wasn't sturdy enough and the pieces would separate while driving) so I purchased some 2.5" X 3" wide stainless steel band clamps and that fixed it up nicely.

Anyhow, this is all purely my opinion, but I wanted to give another opinion in case others are still riding the fence about getting this particular exhaust.

Also, I know the tips aren't perfectly level, I will be adjusting them later. I will also try to get some sound clips to prove my point as soon as I figure out what camera or phone I have is going to give the best sound detail.

·
Registered
769 Posts
To this day, I still don't know why a company such as Stillen (I have had some of their parts of my twin-turbo Z in the past) made the tips equal length and not staggered. They were the 1st exhaust that I looked at since my dealer had the original prototype sitting in their shop and once I saw the tips, I passed....that outer tip just sticks out so far and the inner tip is a little sucken-in or flush with the bumper.

Glad you like it though...I'm sure you got it for a steal if you bought it from Bob.

This look is not my cup of tea:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
To this day, I still don't know why a company such as Stillen (I have had some of their parts of my twin-turbo Z in the past) made the tips equal length and not staggered. They were the 1st exhaust that I looked at since my dealer had the original prototype sitting in their shop and once I saw the tips, I passed....that outer tip just sticks out so far and the inner tip is a little sucken-in or flush with the bumper.

Glad you like it though...I'm sure you got it for a steal if you bought it from Bob.

This look is not my cup of tea:
I agree, however I do give Stillen credit for not doing what every other exhaust companies where doing. Besides stock, it seems everyone else was going quad, staggered tips. I didn't like that the tips where equal length at first, but to be honest, it grows on you. For an affordable exhaust, it also would not be difficult at all to purchase new tips and have them put on in place of Stillen's tips.

EDIT: Yes, I got them from Bob for a great deal. He was also up front and honest about everything (I had a lot of questions) and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again if the opportunity arose.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yeah, people here whine about exhaust volumes when truthfully the only loud aftermarket exhaust available is the CP-e, all the others are moderate in sound.

If you add test pipes it'll increase exhaust volume.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, people here whine about exhaust volumes when truthfully the only loud aftermarket exhaust available is the CP-e, all the others are moderate in sound.

If you add test pipes it'll increase exhaust volume.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I think you have a history with exhausts and the drone is a non issue for you. I have had exhausts in the past some louder than others and basically got used to them, but everybody would tell me it was really loud.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you have a history with exhausts and the drone is a non issue for you. I have had exhausts in the past some louder than others and basically got used to them, but everybody would tell me it was really loud.
This could very well be the case, but what I have found is next to no drone (which is a complete contrast to just about everything I have ever read about the Stillen exhaust on a Genesis). What I have found with this exhaust, is a more aggressive sound on acceleration and next to no drone at cruise. The sound level at cruise (at any speed) is hardly any more intrusive then the stock exhaust was. I have attempted two videos with two separate cameras, but the sound quality is bad. I am in the process of trying to borrow a more professional camera to do a video.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm currently looking at exhausts and was originally considering to get the ARK Grip v2 because I love the sound of it, but it's too expensive at $1,200. The Stillen exhaust sounds very similar and is at a much lower price at $800 but not sure if the drone would be an issue. I've read that the droning is more an issue with an Auto (which I have) but from some videos online, it seems to sound tolerable to my ears. The ARK seems to have none at all.

A video in-cabin by user 'Danno' with an Auto trans, claiming the audio is accurate of the real thing:

I'm still wondering whether it's worth paying about $400 more for the ARK over Stillen. That's almost 50% more in cost. Some people mention it would be even cheaper and much better to get a custom exhaust built.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm currently looking at exhausts and was originally considering to get the ARK Grip v2 because I love the sound of it, but it's too expensive at $1,200. The Stillen exhaust sounds very similar and is at a much lower price at $800 but not sure if the drone would be an issue. I've read that the droning is more an issue with an Auto (which I have) but from some videos online, it seems to sound tolerable to my ears. The ARK seems to have none at all.

A video in-cabin by user 'Danno' with an Auto trans, claiming the audio is accurate of the real thing:
Stillen Catback Exhaust 3.8 Inside Car - YouTube

I'm still wondering whether it's worth paying about $400 more for the ARK over Stillen. That's almost 50% more in cost. Some people mention it would be even cheaper and much better to get a custom exhaust built.
Stillen tips do not look as good as Ark's. Also I was never impressed with Stillen's quality.

If want cheaper look into Magnaflow as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Ark performance exhaust cat back on my 13 3.8 Genesis Coupe. There is no drone at all while driving. It sounds really good excelerating and the tips look really good on the car. I have had mine for about a month now. And I have my car lowered on springs and I have no problems with scraping

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have the Agency Power exhaust, no drone at all while cruising, literally none. The exhaust only weighs 35lbs and it's a very high quality unit. My only complaint is that the tips are smaller. Aside from that it sounds great, sounds much like a stock G35 coupe, although slightly louder.

Noticeable power gain as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts