Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going with a set of headers and downpipes. Whats everyone's opinion on the primary cat location?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If I'm not mistaken most aftermarket header assemblies remove the primary cats. If you'd like to maintain a catalytic converter I'd suggest keeping the secondary cats.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Keep primary & remove secondary.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Keep primary & remove secondary.
If he removes the stock EM and replaces them with headers and downpipes, he will be removing the primary cats, as they are attached to the EM. None of the headers and downpipe sytems come with cats. Only ones that I am aware of that even offer that option are CPE's long tubes. Only way to keep them is to have some custom work done.

·
Registered
558 Posts
the headers that PA are offering you can keep your 2nd cats so thats where you could use the high flow cats, witch is what i will most likely be doing. i still need to take my car to my shop first to make sure i will pass my states emissions with that set up

·
Love me some me!!!
301 Posts
I just bought the headers too, I live in VA so I know that I have to have CAT's but since it's such a new car the insp guy said that no one would even look for it, OBTW just learned true dual exhaust is also illegal in VA? WTF?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow....thats odd they are illegal. Not like they increase emissions or anything....hmm

Being in Michigan I don't think I will have to worry much about emissions checks. My main concern is power and sound. I think I might try deletes with my setup (PA headers & downpipes + Magnaflow CBE) and see how it sounds. If there is significant rasp, I will probably look into some high flow cats.

·
77 Posts
^ Lol about true dual exhaust being illegal in VA. There are some dumb laws (and lawmakers) out there...

The oem secondary cats on the car aren't too bad, and in my opinion, getting high flow cats is unnecessary unless you have already done a good bit to your car :/ shouldn't make too much of a difference.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
If I knew what running 0 cats on this car brang, aka the rattle from hell... I would have kept my secondary cats in.

·
77 Posts
If I knew what running 0 cats on this car brang, aka the rattle from hell... I would have kept my secondary cats in.
It makes rattling / annoying sounds? O:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what I am most afraid of. Not a huge fan of that raspy rattle sound. Do you have any sound clips of your setup?

·
The OG
7,957 Posts

0 cats.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tognabalony, did you get my pm? id be happy to make you a set of cat deletes, just let me know.
I did, thanks for the offer! I will keep in touch in regards.

^ Well, ya...

Waiting on the CP-E fix (should be this weekend).
So you are confident the rattle is from the CP-E headers then? What exactly is the "CP-E fix"?

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
Man, I wish people would search...

The rattle happens no matter what brand (headers, cbe, test pipes, etc, etc) is installed, so long as you have 0 cats.

I don't know what the fix is yet, as I don't work for CP-E.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts