Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

541 - 560 of 738 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My files do not work with CE6 at this time, apart from that, Hyundai Avante can be very different from gencoupe. We need to figure out a way to fix display resolution first (Or adopt other apps for it)
Any news? Still not running, resfix keeps crashing!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the biggest thing i want is bluetooth audio to show the artist or album and the track name, idk why it bothers me so much but not being able to look at what song is playing without grabbing my phone really bugs me

·
Registered
588 Posts
hey all:

I've been hovering in the background doing extensive research to the navigation units - despite me not having one myself :)

Two things:

1) If someone with a navi can go to their car with head unit on, and hold the AM/FM / MAP / EJECT button (all 3) for 10-15 seconds, let me know if it boots into the Windows desktop. it should :) If not, try it with the head unit off :)

2) I managed to obtain two different versions of the navigation system firmware from the Korean head units - being I don't have a navigation system to compare files, has anyone dumped the files off of their navi and have it up somewhere?

I'd like to compare differences to see why rear cams work in korealand, but not here.

Thanks...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, it does. Now how do I get my navi back?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, it does.
hey all:

I've been hovering in the background doing extensive research to the navigation units - despite me not having one myself :)

Two things:

1) If someone with a navi can go to their car with head unit on, and hold the AM/FM / MAP / EJECT button (all 3) for 10-15 seconds, let me know if it boots into the Windows desktop. it should :) If not, try it with the head unit off :)

2) I managed to obtain two different versions of the navigation system firmware from the Korean head units - being I don't have a navigation system to compare files, has anyone dumped the files off of their navi and have it up somewhere?

I'd like to compare differences to see why rear cams work in korealand, but not here.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
ZOMG it's windows!!!! And start menu works with touch screen..... I did lose all my presets.....

So confirmed on 2013 2.0T Premium Auto

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
588 Posts
Woo, glad it worked! Now it's just a matter of getting a file dump. Also, I think I figured out why the reverse cams won't work.

Anyone able to get me their version numbers? Think it lists it under the navigation settings, or update screen or something like that....

Looks like I'll have to buy a used nav on fleabay to really tinker.

p.s. sorry about the presets :)

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Woo, glad it worked! Now it's just a matter of getting a file dump. Also, I think I figured out why the reverse cams won't work.

Anyone able to get me their version numbers? Think it lists it under the navigation settings, or update screen or something like that....

Looks like I'll have to buy a used nav on fleabay to really tinker.

p.s. sorry about the presets :)
No worries man, light at the end of the tunnel. All I really want is aux input.....im gonna run outside and try to find you the version details give me a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Here you go, hope this helps. (I removed the location details they normally are shown)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Perfect! Downloading the 2013 Korean firmware now, will take about 9 hours. Hopefully someone comes along with the 2010/2012 so they can try the same.

For the 2010/2012, it's either disabled in engineering mode, or not included in the US firmware - engineering mode will be an easy fix (need to see the setup screens on those), firmware will require replacing the HMMmedia version with one from Korea...

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Perfect! Downloading the 2013 Korean firmware now, will take about 9 hours. Hopefully someone comes along with the 2010/2012 so they can try the same.

For the 2010/2012, it's either disabled in engineering mode, or not included in the US firmware - engineering mode will be an easy fix (need to see the setup screens on those), firmware will require replacing the HMMmedia version with one from Korea...
So you're thinking replacing the 2013 nav s/w with 2010-2012 one? I thought people that tried bricked their units.....

Is the Korean firmware in English? Engrish?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
If you tell me how to do a file dump for you I can try.....as long as it's safe (no chance of bricking) and can be performed in the vehicle.......does it go onto the USB stick or whats the process???? lmk

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok guys, here's what I know so far, stay with me as this will be a long post with several pictures and theories, etc.

Firstly, The navigation units for Korea are the same as the NA market, aside from their map software, language, etc. In Korea, they have TV service called "DMB" which they can access in their vehicles - kind of like an old school rabbit ear technology, but much better.

Up until middle of last year, all the navigation system units in Korea could access DMB whenever they wanted to, simply by selecting the button. Since last year, their government has mandated that DMB can NOT be activated once going above a certain speed, 10km/h or something to that affect.

In South Korea, navigation updates are VERY FREQUENT and FREE, in fact, Hyundai has a computer program called "Smart Updater Plus" which allows you to download firmware/map updates directly form them for FREE - it even helps you prepare your USB drive for flashing - talk about a huge difference from the NA market.

In any event, they "slipped in" a firmware update to these map updates which prevent the DMB-in-motion; smart South Korean people figured out that the restriction was in the "engineering mode' of the navigation unit, specifically applied by the app.SPD.000 firmware update file.

It is standard practice now, prior to them updating their maps on the unit, to replace the old firmware file with the new firmware file so they dont' lose DMB in motion - coincidentally, this is the same exact firmware file we are looking at that I feel has disabled the AV input.

In South Korea, they can go into "engineering mode" with the old firmware and disable/enable video in motion, the new firmware updates remove this button and capability - proving that Hyundai neuters their navigation unit via firmware.

Through a source in Korea, to get a reverse camera installed on a 2010-2012 gencoupe, it's as simple as using a 4pin AV cable in the center armrest connected to a reverse camera, and switching to AUX. Moreover, you could also just splice the reverse camera into the rear of the head unit into the video input - this confirms that the connection isn't done via canbus or otherwise, just a straight video feed.

This leads me to believe that the video portion is disabled in the firmware / engineering mode to prevent camera / video input in North America. As we know, North America is MUCH more strict about "video in motion" and the NHTSA has restricted such usage for quite a while. From a liability standpoint, I could see Hyundai just disabling it, versus adapting it to use rear camera support.

Ultimately, we first need to engage the engineering mode on the navigation unit to see what settings are available to us to change/modify, and what options are even listed. From there, we can determine what route we will need to take. It literally may be just as simple as pushing a button to get video capability, it may also be as complex as making a hacked firmware from the Korean firmware to enable these menu options.

Until we get into engineering mode, and see what is available, we won't be able to know what way to proceed.

My SKorean buddy didn't know how to acess the Genesis Coupe engineering mode, but did give me settings for other navigation units. Being they are all based on the same platform, I am confident ONE will have to work - similar to booting to Windows.

Below is a screenshot of the engineering mode, and ways to access them via other navigation units. Being I don't have a navi, I am unable to test, but am hoping someone here will, and if successful, lay out how and take a picture of the screens.

Links on how to enable engineering mode - use Google Translate - Key combinations in certain screens - use google translate...

I40

Optima

Sonata

Elantra

Sorento
Santa fe

Let me know what you guys come up with!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Found it... for 2010/2012. Someone please try.

Go to FM1, change preset #5 to 95.9. Ensure preset 5 is still selected. Push in the corners (and order) show in the picture:

From there, you should get engineering mode - please take pics or post the differences from below...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll be home around 6 ET. If nobody tries the 2013 by then, I'll give it a shot.

541 - 560 of 738 Posts