Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go on assignment for 5 months! I have a 2013 Gen 2T P and will put on blocks, fill tank, but should I disconnect the Battery to prevent draining it from the on-board electronics? Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
You can just disconnect the battery if you don't want to go pay for a Battery Tender, but they are amazing devices. They will keep you battery at an exact level without hurting it at all. They work like a lipo battery charger by keeping a certain amount of current to the battery so for how much the loose, it is charging it equally.

Also if you have to store it for 5 months get some Sta Bil. It will keep all the junk out of your gas and will sorta eat it down so that it doesn't get mucky and possibly ruin your fuel pump.

Do you not have anyone that can go start it like 1 every 2weeks?

·
 ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1,913 Posts
I would disconnect the battery,put some fuel stabilizer in with a full tank of gas and probably do a oil change if you need to do one soon. Also put a dryer sheet in your car so when you come back it will be smelling fresh :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
Trust me if you want that battery to last in storage you need a tender or you risk ruining the battery due to sulfation on the plates

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Can't remember the name of the stuff but at almost any auto store they sell some stuff that you put over both of the battery terminals. You can also use dielectric grease to put over them to keep them from corroding.

In the past for me and my family Battery Tenders work great, but if you don't have one on had and don't want to go buy one that dielectric grease or the red stuff (which is the same) does wonders.

That's how we store our boats over the winter, never failed us yet, but Battery Tenders are always good too, just not necessary

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
638 Posts
Get a battery tender

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag

works for my vette and i store it about that much every year. No reason to do anything else to the battery. Two weeks in the cold and the battery is dead without it.

Difference is I spring for the interior dry kit to keep the moister out of the interior, and no mold. Just do a search for one, plenty around, like $30.

Also, mice may be a problem, little basturds took up shop one year in my interior filter, since then i put a few boxes of decon poison around. Tried dryer sheets, and other stuff, but the poison is the best bet. Wont keep them out, but neither do the other options, but at least they will be rock hard when you get home, and wont eat anything else....

·
xFa
446 Posts
storing such a beauty for so long..bet it will be nice to get back into it when you return.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Speaking of mice, one guy on corvette forums had his zr1 attacked, chewed up a ton in the engine compartment, cost him like $4000 in damages, so when its sitting with no movement or people being around it all the time, the little critters are going to rip it up if you don't put poison down to kill them. A dead battery is the least of your worries...

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
^ This.

Last time my car was stored for awhile it got infested with ants. They didn't do any damage but it was a pain in the ass to clean out. So definitely get the poison.

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
get a battery tender (make sure it charges more than your car uses, I went to get a solar power one but only charged at 1AMP and the car uses mroe than that with my alarm and rust control module/clock etc) ..don't put it on blocks, leave the suspension loaded. Fill the tank and add fuel stabalizer. Put moth balls around the car to keep mice away, bounce cheets in the trunk and around the floor inside the car. Give it a good wash/wax, get a car cover. Done.
I left mine sitting on my 19's with stock tires all winter.. no flat spots.
Sat from Nov 1st, took it for the first drive on Sat.. March 9th

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Battery tender and lift your car off the floor. Cover intake and exhaust with tape to keep critters from going in.

More importantly, CLEAN YOUR CAR! From top to bottom extreme detail.

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
Keeping the springs/shocks loaded when storing it is a good thing. Having them extended for long periods isn't the best for them.
Only reason people lift them is to avoid flat spots on tires. My car has been parked for almost 5 months, no flat spots.
Had a civic parked for 4 years straight, no moving it. No flat spots, just weather cracked tires.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yea. I see where you're going with this. It's easier to change tires if they get flat spots than replace suspension.

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
i agree with everyone on the battery tender. i had to learn the hard way after storing my car for 3 winters and going through 4 batteries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts