Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yes it's rear wheel drive
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have been wondering what exhaust to do forever now. Well after much debate I have decided and it is totaly not what I was thinking I was going to do. Streight Pipes, I know Some might bash it and that is okay. But I have a question does anyone know where the last O2 sensor is located. I want to keep the CATS right in front of the flanges before it Y's. I just want to make sure there is no O2 Sensors after that, I don't want to throw any codes.

**UPDATE**

Okay well it is all done: right after the second cats a X pipe and then 2-7/8" pipe "Straight" all the way to the back. I did not put Quad tips on because I wanted to be different, and I like the final look. The shop did an outstanding job. Now as for the sound It is MEAN!!! Not too loud on a low load, but under WOT it screams. I will get a vid up ASAP, but for now here are some photos.

Videos is here: http://www.gencoupe.com/media/57884-3-8-custom-exhaust-video.html#post628319

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
second O2 sensors are on the downpipes before the 2nd cat. you do know that straight pipe means no restriction at all right? that means no cats either. i made a vid a while back with headers and straight pipe. it's way too loud. you'll get a ticket. but it would be nice on a track. also you're not gonna find a good exhaust to properly pull off straight pipes with good power and tone. but if you don't know where the O2 sensors you may want to think about your idea a little bit more.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
second O2 sensors are on the downpipes before the 2nd cat. you do know that straight pipe means no restriction at all right? that means no cats either. i made a vid a while back with headers and straight pipe. it's way too loud. you'll get a ticket. but it would be nice on a track. also you're not gonna find a good exhaust to properly pull off straight pipes with good power and tone. but if you don't know where the O2 sensors you may want to think about your idea a little bit more.
This, exactly.

·
Don't fake the funk
1,268 Posts
It's straight for the record.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Second O2s are on the down pipes.

If you're going to do a no muffler or resonator set up take a video.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
Lulz.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also thought about going off the Y into a single inlet Muffler going to a duel 2.5" outlet, but I don't know what muffler to pick. I just can't decide if I like the magnaflow sound or if I should try something brand new like a Hooker or Flowmaster type.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have also thought about going off the Y into a single inlet Muffler going to a duel 2.5" outlet, but I don't know what muffler to pick. I just can't decide if I like the magnaflow sound or if I should try something brand new like a Hooker or Flowmaster type.
Just get an aftermarket exhaust, you won't go wrong.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on what you're thinking of doing, that'll probably cost you more in materials and fabrication. What's your budget?
I went to the exhust shop and told them my intentions. They told me about $200-$250 for Straight pipes running from the second cats. and about $300 with the muffler. From what I have ben looking at, that is alot cheaper than any system.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I went to the exhust shop and told them my intentions. They told me about $200-$250 for Straight pipes running from the second cats. and about $300 with the muffler. From what I have ben looking at, that is alot cheaper than any system.
But even a Stillen CBE or similar can be had on sale or group buy, whatever, for 600-700. Isn't tried and true reliability and guaranteed performance enhancement better than the craps shoot you're talking about? Do you know anything about the mufflers they're proposing? I have nothing against going rogue custom status with an exhaust, but research the system and parts before you plunk down cash. Especially when for $100 more you can get an industry standard.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
But even a Stillen CBE or similar can be had on sale or group buy, whatever, for 600-700. Isn't tried and true reliability and guaranteed performance enhancement better than the craps shoot you're talking about? Do you know anything about the mufflers they're proposing? I have nothing against going rogue custom status with an exhaust, but research the system and parts before you plunk down cash. Especially when for $100 more you can get an industry standard.
I understand where you are comming from. I looked hard at both the Stillen and Magnaflow alot. However I started to change my mind when I saw GCTuner's custom Exhaust. I have had many different types of exhaust before, Only one was bought by a manufacture (SRT-4 B & B Exhaust) but the best sounding and preformance exhaust I ever had was with my 04 GTO, I had a custom Exhaust made with Flowmasters (2 single 1 chamber mufflers) and it put +18 HP and +8 TQ, It was done at this same shop. I understand people wanting to get a already designed cat back, but 600-1500K for exhaust is to high IMO. When I had my B&B Exhaust I paid $1300 for it and I lost HP with it. The muffler that is proposed is a Magnaflow and I think my last post was not clear the price was $300 for the muffler tips all the tube and labor. That is still $300 cheaper than the cheapes Catback. But I do thank everyone for the feed back.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Yeah, I just re-read your earlier post so I see what you're talking about. Where I live the labor and taxes alone on a custom exhaust would exceed 300. Let alone installation and raw materials/parts. Also, sounds like you have enough experience to make this decision. I just wanted to caution a potential exhaust noob. Have at it! I like custom stuff wherever possible.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I just re-read your earlier post so I see what you're talking about. Where I live the labor and taxes alone on a custom exhaust would exceed 300. Let alone installation and raw materials/parts. Also, sounds like you have enough experience to make this decision. I just wanted to caution a potential exhaust noob. Have at it! I like custom stuff wherever possible.
Hey I really apreciate the Feed back though. I'll post pics and a vid once it is done.

I just got off the phone with the shop and I'm dropping it off today at 2:00pm:D

·
Nick - I <3 MY GC
49 Posts
^good luck, hopefully the exhaust is everything u want!! Remember, regardless the outcome, you own a GC, so your still taking a shiet on a golden toilet at the end of the day :p:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I understand people wanting to get a already designed cat back, but 600-1500K for exhaust is to high IMO. When I had my B&B Exhaust I paid $1300 for it and I lost HP with it. The muffler that is proposed is a Magnaflow and I think my last post was not clear the price was $300 for the muffler tips all the tube and labor. That is still $300 cheaper than the cheapes Catback. But I do thank everyone for the feed back.
I feel you on this. I went the less expensive route too. Had a muffler shop replace the stock can with a camaro style magnaflow, then added staggered quad tips. Total was $300 and it sounds awesome.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
We're gonna want pics!

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

Check first post for Pics. I will try to get a Vid. up by the end of the Week. I am more than happy with the result......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts