Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got new tires and i'm having a very very strong steering wheel vibration issue when pressing on the brakes from anything over 60mph. for example: coming to a slow down on the highway into traffic.

My mechanic, without driving the car told me its warped front rotors, since its only related to braking, and that its the front 2 rotors because thats whats linked to the steering.

I suspected that since it happened the day that i got 2 new front tires installed, that it'd be because i simply mounted the tires. Didn't do a balance.

What do the mechanics here think? 2 new rotors + 2 new front pads and labor will run me about 300-400

·
Donate to my Mod Fund
649 Posts
For unbalanced tires it would shake while coasting/stopping/whatever at around 60-70 and then diminish passed 70 mph. My winter wheels weren't balanced and they would vibrate the steering column and wheel at around 55-60 mph up until 70 mph. Once I got them balanced, no more shaking.

If it's ONLY happening when you're braking then I'm not exactly sure as I don't know too much about brakes.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Warped rotors are for the most part a myth, it can happen but it's very rare, usually the shake or pulsing is due to pad deposits on the rotor and can be fixed easily and for free by re-bedding the brakes. Also if they mounted the tires and didn't do a balance I'd be shocked, usually mounting includes the balance as it's just part of installing a new tire on a wheel, it would be irresponsible not to balance them.

Also, any chance they took the car for an aggressive test drive after installing the tires? They could have cooked your brakes a bit causing deposits.

You can try re-bedding the brakes using the method described here exactly as it's listed in this thread: http://www.gencoupe.com/wheels-tires-brakes-2008-2012/58894-bedding-your-brakes.html

See if it helps, if re-bedding doesn't help take it back and have them re-balance the wheels and re-test, but don't let them talk you into the idea of warped rotors.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have your tires balanced and lugs torqued to spec to start . Unbalanced tires may over heat and fail , premature wear on suspension and steering components

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
non balanced tires: wouldn't i feel vibrating anytime driving over 40-70mph? i ONLY feel vibrating in the steering wheel when braking.... So would you reconsider?

yea i'll def try to re-bed the brakes since if it dont work i'm gunna replace them with new pads anyway. and since its free

I was at the tire shop within 5 feet of my car and the tires being changed the entire time. they were only mounted. balancing requires the weighted metal stickers to stick onto the wheel while its being spun. I didn't do that as I did the rear tires with them 1 season prior and it was fine. This time when changing the front tires it may have been fine too... since the problem seems to be only when braking.

currently i'm in the talks with R1 Concepts as i bought and am using their slotted rotors all around.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
So this shop charges to mount the tire, and then more to balance it? Strange. Always get them balanced, the fact that you had no issue with your rears previously is a bit of luck.

It can still be an unbalance issue, believe it or not a severely unbalanced wheel is more likely to shake under braking than while driving, get them balanced.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this shop charges to mount the tire, and then more to balance it? Strange. Always get them balanced, the fact that you had no issue with your rears previously is a bit of luck.

It can still be an unbalance issue, believe it or not a severely unbalanced wheel is more likely to shake under braking than while driving, get them balanced.
yes, mounting was $7/tire. mounting and balancing was about $18/tire. i'm cheap and took a gamble since the rear ones were 100% fine. and the fronts may still be 100% fine if enough people think the issue i'm having is due to the front rotors not the balancing.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
I now think it's the balancing, go get that done. Also find a better shop that mounts and balances, I think I paid $12 a wheel the last time for a mount that included balance and disposal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Warped rotors don't sound very likely if it just suddenly started to happen one day. (technically rotors don't warp. They wear unevenly which feels like they're warped). Another possibility is a bad front wheel bearing. Braking or loading one side while turning will put more load on it and that may be enough to make it vibrate. It happened to my previous car. See if you can replicate the problem by not braking and putting load on one side at a time while at speed.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
They say too that if you do have the rotors turned to do it with an "on the car" lathe or the run out cannot be brought properly into spec.
I have honestly seen it done both ways. I haven't seen a 100% difference in either way being better than the other, just seems to be if the shop has the equipment or not.

The on the car lathe is pretty cool though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
over the weekend i got the front 2 tires balanced. the ride is slightly smoother (but noticeable) but the braking is still a strong vibration. I already have the new (R1 slotted) rotors on hand and will mount them with new pads also.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
over the weekend i got the front 2 tires balanced. the ride is slightly smoother (but noticeable) but the braking is still a strong vibration. I already have the new (R1 slotted) rotors on hand and will mount them with new pads also.
please follow up on this and let us know if it IS IN FACT the brakes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
please follow up on this and let us know if it IS IN FACT the brakes.
it was in fact the 2 front rotors. I got 2 replacement R1 slotted rotors from them and installed them w/ new Bosch ceramic front pads and the steering wheel vibrations went away. so far about 1-2 miles and everything has been good other than some slight squealing that's depending on the humidity / weather / debris. fixed the vibrations though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts