Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if you guys studed your winter tires or not...

I did stud mine, new product called Eco Studs, the studs are made out of aluminium and are suposed to be a lot more silent then the older ones, 40 to 60%.

·
 ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1,913 Posts
No studs I was reading a debate between studded vs non-studded and they pretty much came to a conclusion that studded tires are "old technology" compaired to the newer tires with new tread designs and what not.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
You should only use studs if you're driving on ice/hard packed snow all the time as you have less grip with studs on pavement.

·
Registered
437 Posts
if we allow studs in southern ontario, i would of gone w/ nokian hakka 5!
loves those on my friend's RSX~

actually i've heard if your car is registered/addressed somewhere outside
the "circle or snow belt" you are permitted to have studs...eventhough u are
driving in Toronto....

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
eco studs arent new. And they are still carbide steel. Nokian has been using "eco stud" terminology for a very long time.

The "eco stud" is supposed to recess into the tire on pavement to reduce noise and damage to roadway. I used to always get Hakka's. Best possible winter tire. However, they are noisy as heck on pavement AND they arent that great when there is no snow on the ground however this is not due to the studs...it is due to the tire design (no compromise winter tire)

These are best suited to rural areas.

If you go studded, best thing to do is get a factory studded tire from Nokian.

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
I got my winter tires studded, I'm pretty sure it is legal at North Bay, and north of there. I never had them before, but since I'm putting my GC through this winter I got them. Wasn't ready for them when I was picking my car up after the tires were put on, I ended up spinning my tires out of the parking lot and down the street. Gotta drive a little easier with the studs on, instead of hammering down on the gas like normally, LOL.

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
I got Firestone Winterforce...for 4 tires, 4 steel 17" rims, studding, install and balancing, I paid $1260.
i bought 4 hankook W409 winter iPike for that price mounted on 17'' aluminium wheels

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
i bought 4 hankook W409 winter iPike for that price mounted on 17'' aluminium wheels
I had hankook ipike on the elantra I use to have, it was cheaper than the name brand but just as good quality, if not better. I got a quote for 18" aluminium, I didn't wanna do aluminium though, so went with the 17" steels.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
No studs I was reading a debate between studded vs non-studded and they pretty much came to a conclusion that studded tires are "old technology" compaired to the newer tires with new tread designs and what not.
I agree. With the rubber compounds/siping of winter tires these days there is no need for studs. Studs can also make you loose traction if you are driving on a HWY where the road is clear. Studs make a tire slip on bare pavement. I know they are for ice but somethimes roads get cleared up and studs become more of a problem. Just imo of course.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
studs do NOT make you lose grip on pavement.

Its placebo effect due to the noise.

On a properly studded MODERN tire, the studs will recess into the tire on pavement.

Ive run many winters on studded and non studded Nokian Hakkapaleta's.

anopther thing, the part of the stud that touches the road is tiny.

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
I find that with the studs I gotta be more careful/slower, otherwise my tires spin easier. I was on the highway with it about a week ago, I would drop into fifth, get into the passing lane to pass people, around 5K RPMs my traction control starts kicking in... never had that with the summers.

Also, into another week or two I'm sure the Highways around me will be snow packed, and icy. Good ol' northern ontario. That's why I got studded, hopefully only using them this year til I can get a truck or the winter next year.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Grilledcheez> if you were to drive the same tires without the studs, you would have equally reduced grip compared to your summer tires. An all out winter tire such as you have will always be like that on dry pavement. Studs or not.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
studs do NOT make you lose grip on pavement.

Its placebo effect due to the noise.

On a properly studded MODERN tire, the studs will recess into the tire on pavement.

Ive run many winters on studded and non studded Nokian Hakkapaleta's.

anopther thing, the part of the stud that touches the road is tiny.
Well I must not have had " modern " tires then. On my work van they were killer. Way less grip on pavement. Even the tire shop that we deal with says this. They don't recommend studs ever. Studs are old school. And plecebo effect. What? Are you saying that because they are noisy that I feel like my ass end is slipping? I am not that dumb.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Grilledcheez> if you were to drive the same tires without the studs, you would have equally reduced grip compared to your summer tires. An all out winter tire such as you have will always be like that on dry pavement. Studs or not.
This is hallarious. Winter tires have the softest rubber compound of any tire. They have more grip then any other tire on pavement.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts