Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
78,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru FT-86 spy shots - Click above for high-res image gallery

While Toyota has been happy to supply the world with glimpses of and whispers about its version of the FT-86 sports coupe, Subaru has been suspiciously quiet about its planned version of the car. But it looks like that's about to change. The Pleiades has announced the vehicles that it plans to show off at this year's Geneva Motor Show in March, and tucked amongst the already-revealed Impreza Concept and the new Trezia econobox is word that the Subaru Rear-Wheel Drive Sports Car Technology Concept will also make an appearance. The news answers the question of whether or not the Subaru end of the venture would boast the company's trademark all-wheel drive when it debuts. All signs point to no - at least in concept form.

Other than the fact that the RWD Subaru will bow in Geneva, there's no indication as to what the car will look like or whether or not it will ever show up in American showrooms. We do know that the vehicle will boast a Subaru boxer four-cylinder under its hood, though it's unclear whether the engine will be a next-generation interpretation of the engine it currently markets or if Subaru will stick the old turbo lump out front. We'll probably find out soon enough. Hit the jump for the press release.

Gallery: Subaru FT-86 STI Spy Shots

[Source: Subaru | Images: CarPix]Continue reading Subaru confirms 'Toyobaru' sports coupe for Geneva

Subaru confirms 'Toyobaru' sports coupe for Geneva originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Regular User
86 Posts
I liked everything I knew about the car until just now. This coupe has way too much Subaru in it and not nearly enough Toyota, or I guess I could say it's just too ugly for my taste.

I've been thinking all along that sharp looking 86 with a flat boxer in it would be awesome but this thing, though very camo'd, is just hideous.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I liked everything I knew about the car until just now. This coupe has way too much Subaru in it and not nearly enough Toyota, or I guess I could say it's just too ugly for my taste.

I've been thinking all along that sharp looking 86 with a flat boxer in it would be awesome but this thing, though very camo'd, is just hideous.
Those pictures are years old.
"there's no indication as to what the car will look like"

Autoblog just used them as filler. I'm betting it'll be more along the lines of the Impreza Concept,

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
IMO it will be gay unless it has AWD and a Boxster.

Otherwise call it a GM product...Camaro / Firebird / Trans Am

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
It may not be necessarily in line with their usual product plans, but it wouldn't be entirely out of order for them to have the base RWD version and the AWD STi model down the road.

·
Regular User
86 Posts
I just hope it doesn't stray too far from this design. We already know it's likely to be way too heavy and on the big side compared to the original so in that way it wont be what the original 86 was but lets at least hope it ends up with a good design.

·
Blumagic Fanboi
80 Posts
I want the car in that picture, it has to be rwd, LSD included, with an at least 2.0 litre turbocharged boxer engine with Toyota branding under $27k. Deviate from that and the deal is off

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
I just hope it doesn't stray too far from this design. We already know it's likely to be way too heavy and on the big side compared to the original so in that way it wont be what the original 86 was but lets at least hope it ends up with a good design.

Well it's definitely going to be lighter than the GC haha. It's a pretty small car... hopefully they don't make it weigh more than 3000 lbs.

·
1stgengen
4,544 Posts
Yeah, cant wait! Don't forget that Toyota and Subaru will both have their own "designs". The Toyota FT-86 will look different than the Subaru 216a. All we can hope for is that they stay with the original concept of a lightweight, RWD, 2.0 Boxer platform. I dont care if it is a 2+2 or N/A or turbo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
IMO it will be gay unless it has AWD and a Boxster.

Otherwise call it a GM product...Camaro / Firebird / Trans Am
Another person who thinks Subaru jams a Porsche roadster into the engine bay of its cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts