Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it was hard to install some subs into a 2.0t premium with the stock infinity speakers. I was just some more bass but im a noob with car audio so i have no idea how to do anything :(. but im a broke college student so.. i want to just try to save money and do it on my own. Any help? please!!

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
what do i do about the sub thats already in there?
Add it to this pile of trash and leave the whole where it was open for the bass from new subs to go through.

Any after market sub will sound better. If you are on a budget just get a small monoblock amp running off a high to low level converter (don't use the amp that the car comes with for new subs) and one or two subs. Just buy a prefab box to put them in. The trunk in these cars is rather small so I would recommend two 10's ported or sealed. Sealed will be a smaller box if you are worried about room. Aim them forward with rear seat down or back if you keep the rear seat up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could i use the wires from the stock sub to wire up the amp or something? I really am an audio noob so im sorry for the lack of understanding. could i just buy of those amp/sub combos from audiosavings.com?

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
could i use the wires from the stock sub to wire up the amp or something? I really am an audio noob so im sorry for the lack of understanding. could i just buy of those amp/sub combos from audiosavings.com?
No worries about being a noob. Gotta start somewhere right? I don't mind helping at all, especially cause it's going in a Gen Coupe! Audiosavings is a great place to buy from and quite reputable. I have bought from them before with no trouble. Sonicelectronix Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers is another great pace too. They both ship to Canada but with Sonicelectronix the brokerage is included in the price so you don't have to pay when the courier comes to the door. Buying an amp sub combo would be a good way to go as you will save a bit. Be careful of super cheap stuff. You wouldn't want to have your subs or amp last only a month now would you. eg. Visonik (lots of those sub amp combos on both those sites) is cheap garbage imo. Also it would be a shame to have super cheap crap in a nice car like ours. At least try for some good budget stuff. Save up if you have to. I don't know what your budget is but these would work fine and fit in the trunk. It's the best budget stuff I could find for under 300 bucks.

MTX TNP112D - Amplified, Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure Systems - Sonic Electronix
Bass Package: Hifonics BXi 608 R/B + 2 Kenwood KFCW3012 + Kit + Box

Also, yes you could use the existing sub wire for the new sub amp. Just buy one of these Amazon.com: GSI GGLOC2 High Level To Low Level Converter: Electronics and hook it up. Hook up both positive wires of the converter to the positive sub wire and both negative wires of the converter to the negative sub wire. Then run rca cables Amazon.com: PCD Basics RCA Stereo Audio Cable - 6ft (1.8M): Electronics from the converter to the amp and voila. The only big thing you will need to do is Run a power wire from the battery to the amp and find a place for the ground wire. I used a bolt that holds the backseat down. I wouldn't use/splice off the existing power wire for the stock amp as they will not handle the load. And then just run a wire from the remote turn on terminal on the new amp to the remote terminal on the stock amp. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!! hehe :D this helped a bunch!! im gonna get started on this a.s.a.p.
so does that mean i still keep the stock amp? and would the 12" fit in the GenCoupe?? jw. ill measure it tomorrow. but im so excited!! thank yo uthank you thank you!! :D

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!! hehe :D this helped a bunch!! im gonna get started on this a.s.a.p.
so does that mean i still keep the stock amp? and would the 12" fit in the GenCoupe?? jw. ill measure it tomorrow. but im so excited!! thank yo uthank you thank you!! :D
Not a problem. Sharing the knowledge is what I am about. Yes keep the stock amp running the rest of your speakers. The 12" will fit in there easily. It's a sealed enclosure so it's not that big. It will sound way better than the stock p.o.s. sub.

theyre actually 4 wires from where the factory subs are. does that matter?
I guess the stock sub must have dual voice coils. Either way it doesn't matter. Just hook the converter to either one set of wires like I said earlier or both sets. It doesn't matter. You will still get a signal from either set or both. It won't make a difference.

I have two 10" HCCA's right now in my coupe in a ported box. It just barely fit so 1 12" in a sealed box will fit no prob.

Check it out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh wow i saw those videos on youtube and thats what wanted me to get subs so badly!! hahaha but i think i can do this now!! so thanks for all your help :D ill let you know how it all goes

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
oh wow i saw those videos on youtube and thats what wanted me to get subs so badly!! hahaha but i think i can do this now!! so thanks for all your help :D ill let you know how it all goes
Ha cool :D.......Your Welcome and good luck on your install!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where is the stock amp located?? and how do i and how do i add the remote turn on from the stock amp to the new amp?? sorry for keep asking questions O_O but im almost done and so excited!!

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
where is the stock amp located?? and how do i and how do i add the remote turn on from the stock amp to the new amp?? sorry for keep asking questions O_O but im almost done and so excited!!
Here is a pic of my car with the passenger side rear panel off. I don't have the premium package so no amp in the pic but it shows you where it goes. Carful taking off the panel as it can crack easily.

Hook up the remote wire from the new amp to this wire on the stock amp. Don't cut the wire. Leave it plugged in and just splice onto it. A good way to do it is just heat up the wire insulation a bit with a lighter and peel it off. About an inch is good and than connect the remote wire to it and use a twist connector or electrical tape to finish.

Hope this helps. What have you done so far?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i connected everything but the subs wont work. the amp powers up. I switched around the rcas and i just tried everything but they just wont work and im sure the subs are working fine bc i hooked them up to my friends car to see if it was the subs. hmm... maybe i did something wrong with the high to low converter?

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
i connected everything but the subs wont work. the amp powers up. I switched around the rcas and i just tried everything but they just wont work and im sure the subs are working fine bc i hooked them up to my friends car to see if it was the subs. hmm... maybe i did something wrong with the high to low converter?
Hmmm....that sucks.:(

I'm not familiar with the H/U controls on the premium system but if it has a separate sub out control then make sure it is on. Other than that go through all your connections again. Hope you get it going soon. There is nothing worse than hooking everything up and it not working the first time you try it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm.. ive went over the wiring a couple of times. hm.. I havent tried connecting both pairs of the sub wires. maybe i should try that. hmmm and i dont get how im supposed to tell which wire is for the positive and negative/left and right

1 - 20 of 93 Posts