Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here running a supercharger on their bk1 3.8 with stock internals? I read somewhere that they (bk1), will not handle much power over stock( ringlands). Is it possible to get another 100 hp over stock without blowing anything up?

·
NOOB
167 Posts
Recent comments from Remnant Performance are useful on the topic of SCing the 3.8. Generally speaking, it's a poor idea.

We briefly examined the possibility of adding a Supercharger kit and determined that it was not a worthwhile investment for our platform.

When people think “supercharger”, they are thinking about instant boost. That said, there were actually multiple different types of superchargers and only the Roots/Screw type provide instant boost but are horribly inefficient. The Roots/Screw type require The ability to force boost directly into the intake manifold, which is not a good idea in our application due to heat. To mitigate this, the traditional answer is to add an air-to-water intercooler system, but there’s just not much room for one of those in our vehicles.

Then you get to the centrifugal type of superchargers which is by far the most popular type when it comes to aftermarket. The problem is that a centrifugal supercharger has all the lag of a turbo, but only provides about 70-80% of the power at 150-200% of the cost. Not to mention the fact that Superchargers, since they are directly driven by the crank, tend to be brutal on bearings, creating heat spots and uneven wear on engine components.

All said and done, a turbo kit was the correct path for us to go down in providing a power adder for our vehicles. It provides the most amount of power potential while allowing us to meet the necessary constraints of minimizing cost and maximizing longevity.

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
Supposedly the 3.8 is based off of the nissan VQ platform, the ones found in the 350z/370z.

Any forced inductions is going to involve some sort or heat mitigation.

Centrifugal SC are going to have some lag, because the further the air has to travel from the impeller(s) to the valves is going to translate into lag in response.
I believe they said that as a point because usually people looking at superchargers are wanting added power with the response of an NA motor.

That being said, realistically most won't really notice the lag, unless they are comparing setups side by side.

Bearings are a good point that not one really takes into account.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very few people. But if you want to do it you can, it will just cost a thousands of dollars and you'll be upgrading basically the whole car and transmission. Aftermarket ECU too so no go if you need emission inspections yearly:/

·
Registered
12 Posts
@JOutterbridge I am also a new 3.8 BK1 owner and after driving it around a while i was just thinking about adding a turbo - what do folks tend to go with if not the stock internals? just looking for pointers

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
758 Posts
I have read that the BK 1 3.8 is good for about 400 HP Maximum, without going to forged internals. Otherwise "Pop goes the weasel!"

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
A turbo setup is more involved that a SC setup and costs about the same, if not more.

A turbo setup just has more parts, than a SC setup.

turbo, manifold, piping, intercooler, oil/coolant plumbing. bov. wastegate.

With a SC, you really only having to deal with the intake side.

it's not HP that breaks things, it's torque and how quickly it's applied.

fore bearings, if you can find a set of clevite bearings that would work. I wouldn't trust the OEM aluminum bearings for any excessive lateral load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts