Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new, uninstalled sfr stage 1 ecu from a fellow member on here, both cars are 2010 3.8 manuals with push button start.

I followed directions on YouTube for install, disconnect battery before install and reconnect when done. Car won't start now, is there something else I need to do for this because of push button start or is it the new ecu?

Thanks!

·
zach
586 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Did you get an ECU that wasn't equipped with an immobilizer? Resetting the new ECU is probably not going to make a difference since it has been unplugged since it was uninstalled from the other car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was supposed to be buying a brand new, never installed ecu configured for the same car as mine, just as if I had bought it from sfr.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long should I leave the battery disconnected, I did for 5 minutes and just tried again with the new ecu in the car, no dice.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Doesn't matter if it was installed or not... it does matter if the ECU was set up for a car with an immobilizer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seller said it was for a 2010 3.8 track manual with push button start, same as my car, and was never installed when bought from sfr.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Seller said it was for a 2010 3.8 track manual with push button start, same as my car, and was never installed when bought from sfr.
I know what for sale thread you're speaking of, and had my doubts. If the ECU was installed in the previous car (likely was.. despite saying it wasn't), the ECU is locked to that vehicle and it's immobilizer.

This would cause the no start you're experiencing, and regardless of how many times or how long you disconnect the battery for, it won't make a lick of difference.

You'll have to contact SFR and pay them to unlock the ECU, or work with the seller (and Paypal) to get a refund.

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought, I've already emailed seller and will report back if I got hosed or resolution to this.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's what I thought, I've already emailed seller and will report back if I got hosed or resolution to this.
Good luck.

If the seller is unwilling to work with you and you didnt send the Paypal payment as a "gift" to circumvent the 3% seller fee, you also have 45 days to dispute the transaction with Paypal from date of payment.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
As I previously said in your other thread, even if the car is the same year, make, model, trim, etc. there are several versions of software and several versions of connections of the immobilizer. All push button ignitions have the immobilizer, but not all push buttons use the same immobilizer. If you mismatch the ECU version and immobilizer code, it will not start as you are seeing now. This is why I said to contact Jay at SFR. If you give him the numbers and info off the sticker on the ECU you originally had with your car and the one you bought he will be able to look it up and tell you.

To explain it another way, if you were to go to Jay at SFR and say "I want to buy a second new ECU with canned tune", he would first have you pull your ECU and send him the number/code info off the sticker so he could load the appropriate code on the new ECU. I think your seller doesn't know or understand this or does and hoped it would work so he could make some money back. As was previously mentioned by others, your best bet is to reach out the Jay at SFR or the seller.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent a PM to Jay yesterday, if I don't hear back from him this morning I'll call SFR when they open up.

The seller told me he never had to give a VIN or any kind of numbers from his car when he bought it and he was a long time member on here with good feedback and I was the newbie so I trusted what he was saying was correct.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
I sent a PM to Jay yesterday, if I don't hear back from him this morning I'll call SFR when they open up.

The seller told me he never had to give a VIN or any kind of numbers from his car when he bought it and he was a long time member on here with good feedback and I was the newbie so I trusted what he was saying was correct.
Yeah, I think Jays your best bet.

FYI - he was doing an insane tune weekend in California this past weekend so communication may be a bit lag/delayed while he plays catch up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
, SJ is the man
9 Posts
Yeah, I think Jays your best bet.

FYI - he was doing an insane tune weekend in California this past weekend so communication may be a bit lag/delayed while he plays catch up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes. Yes he was. Until the wee hours of the morning.

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Thank you sirs!

To answer Op's question.
Our pretuned ECUs or even stock tuned ECUs are NOT designed to be resold to another party in a first place.
As mentioned above, cars vary per year/model/etc and we are the only company will offer the tunes per your ECU version.
Also if any 3.8 immobilized ECUs once get installed and marries to one car it's stuck to one car pretty much unless we flash it again.

You should have asked to the seller or seller should asked us before the whole transaction (not trying to point fingers) so please talk to your seller how you 2 will get this resolved since we are not even involved in the transaction.
FYI, ECU itself go for $250-350 in this market for 3.8. You can still buy this ECU for what's worth from the seller (unless you already did) and pay for a flash ($400 for canned tune just like everyone else) for us to flash per your car/mods.

Hope this helps
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there guys I recently just bought a can tuned ECU from SFR for my 2010 Genesis coupe 3.8L and it started up and everything but then the check engine light came on? Has anyone else had this problem and is there a reason for it or is just I need to reset the light and turn it off? If someone knows and could let me know that would be great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,244 Posts
Hey there guys I recently just bought a can tuned ECU from SFR for my 2010 Genesis coupe 3.8L and it started up and everything but then the check engine light came on? Has anyone else had this problem and is there a reason for it or is just I need to reset the light and turn it off? If someone knows and could let me know that would be great! Thanks!
Check engine shouldn't be there and you should contact us directly with order number. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts