Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the BOV installed on my car now for about 3 months. It has ran perfectly up until about a month ago, after I installed an ECU with a canned tune. I am not saying the tune is completely at fault but ever since then the BOV occasionally acts up. Recently it has been acting up more and more. It usually flutters or sometimes doesn’t actuate at all for the first 5-10 minutes of a cold start in the morning. Sometimes it’ll work again if I restart the car, other times it still flutters. Now sometimes it doesn’t even work properly for a good portion of the day.

https://youtu.be/mKNSjaIS4vg

I have reset the ECU a few times and did the key dance after each time. I have already went through the forums for people with similar issues and nothing seems to fix it. I have already tried to T the IM and I’ve checked the inside of the BOV the big spring is fine and as they did away with the preload springs long before I bought this BOV I do not have one.

Also don’t know if this is related as it seems to happen even when the BOV is working properly but my RPMs start to stutter a bit especially in 3rd gear around 5000+ RPMs.

If anyone could please be of assistance I would appreciate it greatly. I want to be able to feel the full power of the tune, which I have not yet been able to do so until the car is running properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just took another look at the BOV and discovered something.. I never screwed in the nipple for port A so it’s been left wide open. Could this be the problem?? And if I screwed the nipple in should I cap it?

Edit: upon further research of what would happen if the nipple was left off I am now certain this is the issue as I have felt the compressor surge which apparently happens if it is left off and I am worried it’s damaging my turbo and engine. I will look through the box the BOV came in tomorrow, since it’s in my parents garage an hour away from where I live. I don’t know if I left it off accidentally or it vibrated off.

Does anyone know if there’s a replacement one I can find online? I’ve looked and have only found one that I’m not sure is the same size. Or should I contact synapse?

Anyways will update some point (tomorrow hopefully) when I screw the nipple on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the good news is I’m not a complete moron and I did put the nipple on because it’s not in the kit, the bad news is it vibrated off. Will try to find another one or contact Synapse tomorrow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Quick question: is it possible my solenoid is crapping out? For the last 2 weeks I haven’t been able to get it to actuate correctly (fluttering all the time) no matter what I tried and out of nowhere today it started to work somewhat correct. It still seems a bit funky but it’s actuating immediately when I blip the throttle and sometimes when I accelerate for a few seconds before letting off but other times it still doesn’t seem to actuate right. Could it also have to do with the temperature outside? Today was the warmest it’s been in a couple weeks and it decided to work. I’ve tried different setups with ports and such and nothing seems to change the flutter. Almost ready to resort to going to a shop and having them try to figure it out.

EDIT: It is now night time and the temperature dropped again and the BOV started fluttering again. I don’t understand how the two have any correlation but now I’m questioning it. Can someone please try to explain why this would happen. Note that the BOV worked fine until it started getting colder out at which point it would only flutter for 5-10 minutes after a cold start and then would actuate correctly but now that it’s cold almost every day it always flutters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoping someone can at least answer this one for me.. could the fact that one of the threads for my block off plate got cross threaded and is only being held in by two bolts cause this fluttering?? And is it safe to re-thread it? I don’t want to drill out the old threads and have metal shavings get sucked into the turbo or something. The block off plate SEEMS to be sealed good. I can’t wiggle it around or anything Somebody PLEASE reply to any of these posts. Considering buying a new blow off valve since I have done everything I can think of to fix this issue and synapse themselves are being unresponsive to me

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try running vacume to both A+B with "y" connector . More than likely a bad main o-ring on one of the ports

·
Registered
591 Posts
1/4in. npt thread for nipple , if l remember correctly.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Hoping someone can at least answer this one for me.. could the fact that one of the threads for my block off plate got cross threaded and is only being held in by two bolts cause this fluttering?? And is it safe to re-thread it? I don’t want to drill out the old threads and have metal shavings get sucked into the turbo or something. The block off plate SEEMS to be sealed good. I can’t wiggle it around or anything Somebody PLEASE reply to any of these posts. Considering buying a new blow off valve since I have done everything I can think of to fix this issue and synapse themselves are being unresponsive to me
I would think if the missing bolt caused issues it would be boost leak. In a pinch you could try a 1/4-28 bolt to use in the stripped out 6mm bolt hole. Usually do not need to tap it if aluminum.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
I would think if the missing bolt caused issues it would be boost leak. In a pinch you could try a 1/4-28 bolt to use in the stripped out 6mm bolt hole. Usually do not need to tap it if aluminum.
Not necessarily

A multiport BOV usually has a vacuum line after the diaphragm (pulling the valve open) and one before its (boost pushing it open). Think how some external wastegates are set up, but for venting.
With the one before, it's suppose to be used with a solenoid/controller, but is not normally used.
The point of this is to control how much boost is let off when "off throttle" to minimize turbo lag between shifts.

I wouldn't think Synapse would engineer a BOV to have a boost leak, if the line before the diaphragm was fully opened.

E_master, what kind of vacuum line did you use for it? because the vinyl stuff is garbage for automotive use.
Same with the non re-enforced silicone lines. They usually collapse when warmed up and under vacuum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts