Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Orlando, FL
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey track fans,

Got a couple of quick questions for ya. I'm taking the gen to an HPDE event at Palm Beach International Raceway, through Hooked on Driving. The car is heavily modded (as you can see in my sig), but I feel like the most important mod could use some improvement (ME!). Plus, getting the chance to push it on the track will be a lot of fun. I'm hoping to make track days a regular habit after this.

I have been reading several threads around the site about camber setup for autox. Would the same -2 or so in the front still apply for a road course?

Also, I've ordered some GragaeLine wheel spacers that'll be going on the car. Should I take the spacers off before heading to the track? Do they present any safety risks or performance flaws under that type of hard driving?

I've read the "so you want to track your car" threads here, which were very informative and helpful.

Also, in general prep, I'm taking the car out for an hour or so every weekend to do some stiff driving and work on rev matching my down shifts, trying heel-toe (my huge feet make that every difficult), and just generally learning how to gain solid control in hard corners. This is my first RWD car, and I'm never going back to FWD.

Thanks!

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Replace the brake fluid, replace pads if they are not recent.

Have fun fun fun.

Dont worry about mods, if this is your first time...it will be a while before your skill will surpass even a stock Gen.

Take pics!!

·
Orlando, FL
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I know the car will definitely be more than I am capable of handling, so I'm just gonna do my best to manage the corners. I'll have plenty of power for the straights. I am planning on upgrading to some hawk HPS+ pads before I go. I want to minimize fade and maximize my time on the track. I didn't think about the fluid. I'll just flush the system when I do the pads. I might borrow a GoPro and film my runs.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Oh yeah, I know the car will definitely be more than I am capable of handling, so I'm just gonna do my best to manage the corners. I'll have plenty of power for the straights. I am planning on upgrading to some hawk HPS+ pads before I go. I want to minimize fade and maximize my time on the track. I didn't think about the fluid. I'll just flush the system when I do the pads. I might borrow a GoPro and film my runs.
Definitely do your pads, the stock Track/R-Spec pads are small and don't have great high-temp characteristics... .someone posted not too long ago their stock pads after a track day and they looked like molten lava.

I run HPS+ and they work great. I had to sand down the rears a bit as they couldn't quite slide into the caliper straight out of the box, so be aware of that just in case :)

Do think about the fluid, my brakes faded quickly after a few hard laps... if you plan on doing more than a 10 minute stint on the course, definitely think about better fluid. I will be doing higher temp brake fluid before hitting the track this year for sure.

Good luck, try to save some tires for the ride home :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good advice from folks here.

-2 degrees of camber will help you on the road course as well. With the spacers, how wide are they? If crazy wide, they will change the leverage ratio of your suspension, so it will compress easier. There’s not a safety risk, but with moving the tire out you have to be watchful of the tire rubbing as it compresses due to the higher loads you’ll experience on the track.

Have a great time.

·
Orlando, FL
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing 25mm in the rear and 20mm in the front with stance coils on stock 19's to bring em flush. I'll probably pull the spacers for the track, just in case. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah, if you said 5 or even 10 mm, that'd be different. Those kinda widths are typical for suspension / handling tuning. 20 / 25 mm wide, not really. I'd feel better if you pull spacers that wide, as you're adding about an inch. That much extra width does put a bit more stress on the wheel bearing, and the leverage of the suspension more than a bit.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Leave the spacers at home, they won't do anything for you on the track. Those bolt-on spacers aren't recommended for use on a track since you can't check the torque of the lug nuts holding the spacer to the hub.

That 3071 should be a blast out there. Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts