Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
While I haven't dynoed anything... I can tell you that when I added the TBS my fuel gauge is dropping much quicker and my driving habits haven't changed. It seems like I'm burning through more gas with it on...

I have about a half a tank and will keep an eye on the avg MPG for a bit. When I'm ready to fill up, I will pull the TBS to see if there is a difference. Keep in mind I don't drive much (work from home) so it may be a bit before posting an update.
Did you see what OP's most recent reply....

"You're driving like a lunatic"
"You're car is broke"
"refuting your unsubstantiated information that a throttle body spacer"

I dont wanna play this "my penis is bigger" but my info has help support what he is experiencing that what you have said. If you feel it has not then adress HIS experience, dont adress me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This thread turned from simple answers to lolwtf.
Well you see, while I was giving my experience and input, then come almighty know it all to degrade everything because he has a personal problem with a person for whatever reason.

then continues to make himself look much smarter by using by using very high end english terms such as "refuting your unsubstantiated". Then gets called out on not giving any advice to OP out of his multiple post on this thread, then he tries to put something together by saying well, I will check this out and ask this and that.

Check your info before you deliberately come onto a thread to try to trash someone for no apparent reason. Dont sit and trash someone then say "well let me check it out"
childish!

Then OP post his experience as I stated he would. Where is BK's suggestion or recommendation? Got plenty of trashing me though and said "lol hijack"?

We're still a online community to help are we not, Or are we a community to trash on other members?

Admins please chime in on my last question?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure what happened... I was just looking for some insight.... I refuse to participate in online arguments. I have enough arguing with my wife and kids! LOL!!

Can't we all just get along?!?! ...... Don't answer that.....

:beer::D:beer::D:beer:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
350 Posts
3.8Track,

As I said before, I tried everything to get this resolved minus just uninstalling and nothing was able to help it until I spoke to Sam from BTR about this and he told me that the A/F needs to be corrected. His only suggestion to utilize the performance of the TBS (which is very minimal even with tune) and to correct A/F was to have it custom tuned. This is why I went to their tune event in Cali. On the 7th of Sept. Prior to that my symptoms we're lost of MPG, lost of power, black build up constantly on my exhaust tips.
Since tune I have not drove my car enough to say its corrected, but I will drive it again this coming Sunday and post what I have experienced. Sorry this is not my DD, not even 2nd car. This is a 3rd car garage queen.

·
never use only drop once!
2,746 Posts
The MAF should stay in the OEM location. Adding another spacer is a waste of time and money. Hell, even adding one spacer is a waste. It barely increases the plenum volume and for the money you can put it towards a Grimspeed balanced manifold. It's not "P&P" like your "want" list states. Heat wrapping everything is cool if you track your car constantly or live in a hot climate where you are driving the hell out of your car. For DD duty it isn't even worth the time.

You are not going to get much power with a full bolt on 3.8.

Also Sprint Booster + Reflash? No..
Thanks for the MAF suggestion. I would agree but was curious.

I don't need massive power. Just want to feel like I'm getting the most out of the v6. I'm happy with 20-25 hp with all bolt-ons. When this engine is done I'll drop in a supercharged v8...

To OP:

if you decide to get throttle body spacer and gaskets, make sure you will be tuned for it before you put them on. I was just recently back from a custom tune event where I was shown how bad i was dumping fuel just because of that.
you get leaned out really bad. i was dumping, i believe Sam's the Korean Tuner said, at 3500 rmp at almost 50%.

my AF was measured at 10.0

I was getting near 11 mpg.

(This is my experience and may or may not apply to all)
AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!!!!!!

"Sam said I was running rich and the only way to see gains from the spacer was to lean out the AFR".

That's a BIG difference from what I bolded above.

This is why I have an issue with you. This isn't the first time you've passed off completely unfounded opinions as some sort of fact. Then you want to get indignant like everyone else is some supercilious bully, lambasting you for personal reasons. Same dance, different song. OP already got his answer from monkey. Why repeat it. Then you pop in and say "oh this is going to kill your mpg unless you get it tuned" with no back up. Somehow because I refute your statement I'm thread jacking and unhelpful? Lulz.

If you can provide some sort of evidence that your throttle body spacer is why you're getting 11 mpg from your whopping 16 mpg base line, then by all means, provide it and I will apologize for my malediction. Otherwise, all you're doing is spreading misinformation about mods.

Spreading misinformation about mods is a sin of Rice, which I must purify. Praise be to Otto. May Wankel be with you. Amen.

·
Registered
350 Posts
BK, please be adult and not childish and refer to post #21.
This is not your thread. Build a thread to argue like children. Otherwise again, refer to post #21

·
2,746 Posts
I'm just waiting to for some evidence so I can give you your long overdue apology.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Again refer to #21.
Thank you but I do not need your apology. OP experienced what I experienced and I gave him my solution. Thats all. If you're looking to really apologize, Then apologize for your portion of nonsense on 3.8Tracks thread. As I apologize now for my nonsense on his thread. And by nonsense, I mean the chirping.

Want to be adult about this, and only address his issue. I'm done talking to you

·
2,746 Posts
I disagree that anything I wrote was nonsense. I consider it a public service to the community to question information given with no support. By the way, OP, since Cancer isn't talking to me, in regards to his specific question, I received a very vague statement from BTRcc.

"What has caused his 10:1 AFR can only be guessed as the car has changed a bit since the first time the canned tune was applied to the vehicle. The customer also felt and saw the car slow down after additional modifications were put on the vehicle.

One possibility is that additional parts made the vehicle act out of the set parameters and ECU compensated by dumping in more fuel as a safety measure. it could be that the lean condition made the vehicle run higher EGT's and when that happens the ECU is programmed to dump extra fuel to keep the EGT's down."

So basically, BTRcc doesn't know why cancer's car is running rich. Modifications are a possibility. In no way, shape, or form does that equate to "a throttle body spacer made me get 11 mpg". That is my only point. I don't want YOU, original poster of a thread asking about PERFORMANCE BENEFITS OR DRAWBACKS of throttlebody spacers, to think that installing a spacer will cause you to run insanely rich and murder your fuel economy.

That's been my whole point from the get go but apparently that gets lost on some people.

Frankly, I'm with ibnzmonkey. You're far better served getting your upper and lower plenums ported and polished than doing something like heat taping your intake. If you have the stuff laying around and feel like spending the time, go for it, but as far as meaningful modifications, I wouldn't spend too much time working about phenolic spacers and heat soak.

Weight reduction is the best performance upgrade you can ever do...and to quote the old weight addage..."it's much easier to lose 1 pound in 100 places than 100 pounds in 1 place" so sure, if it's cheap and helps a little and you don't mind doing it, go for it.

The reason people use the P2R spacers with the grimmspeed plenum spacers is the p2r spacers are gaskets. Instead of using the OEM gasket that has no insulating advantage and costs $25, people get 2 p2r gaskets to further enhance the cooling and add a little more plenum length. Stacking throttlebody spacers is a waste of money.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Haha again you know all and now not only do I know nothing but btr now knows nothing.

anyways OP, since your dumping fuel because "NOT" spacer, let us know what happens if you decide to uninstall it. Or what happens to your fuel if you continue using it.

·
2012 3.8 Track ZF-6-SPD
2,925 Posts
I have the p2r TB spacer with oem gaskets and phenolic spacer with oem gaskets. Never had mpg problems. But I did have a canned and custom tune each time. Also have the pnp+CC on TB and intake manifolds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Been here a week and there is a reoccuring theme of small penis syndrome on this site, not the first thread either. Op what was your question again I forgot by the time i got to post #34.

·
2,746 Posts
Been here a week and there is a reoccuring theme of small penis syndrome on this site, not the first thread either. Op what was your question again I forgot by the time i got to post #34.
Pro tip: hit the back button. Its still in the first post. There are plenty of other forums no one is keeping you here. I refuse to apologize for naysaying conjecture. Misinformation helps no one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First, I can second that 16mpg. With my intake and exhaust without my tune my local mpg was around 17mpg, combined with my highway drives on the weekends i averaged around 19-22. It's not how you drive your car, it's how your car calculates the actual distance traveled per gas. If you run your car and leave it sitting for an hour youll have 0mpg. If you're constantly driving local and stop go stop go, you're gona get **** mileage, especially right after afillup. Just because you get 30mpg on the highway doesnt mean everyone else gets the same. Some people have posted 38mpg on a 3.8.. w/e

Second in terms of running rich, I asked BTR's tuner himself in korean and yes putting on those mods will make the car run differently, as it drastically decreases the temperature of the manifold. Think about it, put a spoon into a frying pan. The spoon is gona get hot fast. Now put a sponge between the frying pan and spoon (assuming the sponge doesnt burn).

3rd, this if for the OP, theres a guy over here in chicago running a 6inch thick spacer (doubled with the grimmspeed and something else) it does help a little but, however it isnt going to be that significant (yes custom tuned for both single and both spacers). There really isn't a point running double as BKED and monkey have said. Just get one of each and spend the rest on the manifold getting it pnped.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So after a half a tank getting 14.2 avg mpg and the check engine light coming on twice (left bank lean) it must need a tune for a spacer.... FYI for all you DIY'ers... Traveling for work all week but will pull the TBS this next weekend.... I'm fine with getting 12-15 mpg for performance but not because of a spacer....

Opened my hood at the dealer and he saw my intake and said, "you just voided your warranty." He was dead serious... I looked at him and called BS. Then he said just joking.... Bastard!

·
Registered
350 Posts
3.8Track,

this is what i was warning about. I'm sure there is some kinda scientific reason for this, I just dont know it exactly. I just wanted to share my experience with the TBS.

the only fix i can come up with was having it custom tuned to change the A/F issue. (also I have been wanting a custom tune, so this was a great reason to get it)

The only reason I bought the TBS was because I will be running Nitrous by next season (spring 2014) and didnt want to drill a tap into the intake. I didnt realize that this tiny little spacer was gonna create such an issue.

Matik,
I have owned my 2012 since may 2012 and have only put about 7k miles on it. I dont drive it much but when i do, its very rarely on the freeway and typically stop and go. I dont think i drive like a maniac but am usually shifting at about 3500-4k rpm but at about 40mph am usually in 3rd gear. It is however at the 1/4 track 2 times per month from end of April (once) to beginning of October (once). When its at the track, yeah its redlining through 1st and 2nd @ WOT and mostly 3rd also at WOT. Other then that, Its not driven much, so I guess I dont get the freeway MPG to default my city driving and 1/4 mile tracking.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pro tip: hit the back button. Its still in the first post. There are plenty of other forums no one is keeping you here. I refuse to apologize for naysaying conjecture. Misinformation helps no one.
I think we can all come to our own conclusions without your help, its only people like you that feel like posts on a forum are like scripture from the bible.

I lol'd at the comment "i asked the btr tuner in korean" so it must be true.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts