Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

TB Spacers & MAF Placement

6K views 51 replies 10 participants last post by  meekmillan 
#1 ·
Would it make any sense to double up the TB spacer (gasket between of course)? Would that be too much space between the TB and the intake? I assume they made these spacers a certain size for a reason, but I see a lot of people also adding in double P2R gaskets, which nearly doubles the distance that the TB spacer creates. Basically, how much space is too much space?

Also, on the R2C intake, why is the MAF mounted at the box versus at the other end of the intake near the TB? Would this make a difference?

Since I brought up the R2C CAI, what if I covered the entire intake (scoop from the hood thru to the filter box) with High Performance Reflective Insulation (sometimes called radiant barrier insulation). I have a bunch from an attic installation in an old house I had to let go (www.eagleshield.com). It's basically a very thin heat barrier that I could use 3M spray glue to adhere it to the box and scoop... Maybe I'll install without to get temps and then add to see if there is a difference in air temp at the intake? Gotta find my heat gun to do that though... Before I do all this work, I would like some opinion if anyone thinks it's worth the trouble. I'm already working on a switch to bypass the coolant flow thru the intake manifold in the summer. This way I can turn it back on in the cold winter months to be sure I don't damage anything.

Somewhat of a noob on the effect of TB spacer upgrade and positioning of the MAF. Been doing bolt on mods to my cars for years, but mainly older vehicles with much less computer control/adjustment.

Been stockpiling mods so I can have a fun weekend of upgrades, but want to be fully prepared.

Thanks for your insight!! :D

See less See more
#38 ·
So after a half a tank getting 14.2 avg mpg and the check engine light coming on twice (left bank lean) it must need a tune for a spacer.... FYI for all you DIY'ers... Traveling for work all week but will pull the TBS this next weekend.... I'm fine with getting 12-15 mpg for performance but not because of a spacer....

Opened my hood at the dealer and he saw my intake and said, "you just voided your warranty." He was dead serious... I looked at him and called BS. Then he said just joking.... Bastard!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#39 · (Edited)
3.8Track,

this is what i was warning about. I'm sure there is some kinda scientific reason for this, I just dont know it exactly. I just wanted to share my experience with the TBS.

the only fix i can come up with was having it custom tuned to change the A/F issue. (also I have been wanting a custom tune, so this was a great reason to get it)

The only reason I bought the TBS was because I will be running Nitrous by next season (spring 2014) and didnt want to drill a tap into the intake. I didnt realize that this tiny little spacer was gonna create such an issue.

Matik,
I have owned my 2012 since may 2012 and have only put about 7k miles on it. I dont drive it much but when i do, its very rarely on the freeway and typically stop and go. I dont think i drive like a maniac but am usually shifting at about 3500-4k rpm but at about 40mph am usually in 3rd gear. It is however at the 1/4 track 2 times per month from end of April (once) to beginning of October (once). When its at the track, yeah its redlining through 1st and 2nd @ WOT and mostly 3rd also at WOT. Other then that, Its not driven much, so I guess I dont get the freeway MPG to default my city driving and 1/4 mile tracking.

#44 ·
There is so much going on in this thread I cant even analyze what is going on and give an answer filled with science. Why are you guys so into thermal isolation of the intake tract? (I assume thats what is going on here.)

Most of the IAT will be affected by what the actual ambient temp is. There isn't much time for the air to be affected before it's combusted. Why? Because the airspeed is very high. There are of course. Lots of things to consider. Such as vehicle speed, ambient temp, coolant temp, etc... Contact time with the aluminum is directly related to what RPM the engine is turning.

Also. If you are using two gaskets. Please use gasket sealer (black RTV) on all sides to ensure a good seal. Like I said in an earlier thread. Intake manifolds are considered Voodoo engineering.

#45 ·

#48 ·
After much time, trips to the dealership for the check engine light and now having pulled off the TBS, it's clear what was causing the poor gas millage issue for some reason - the TBS. Check engine light came on first for lean left bank. Reset it and it was fine for a while, but still terrible MPG. Came on again, now something about the TB. Reset it and by the time I went to leave the dealership it was back on again with the same error. I scheduled a time they could look at if for a couple days and went home. That weekend I had a couple hours to burn so I pulled the TBS out. I noticed a TON of oil from the R2C Intake, so a catch can is a MUST. Cleaned it up and put it back together. Dumped in some fuel injector cleaner (in the gas tank) and WHAM - all was good to go. The next 60 highway miles home I got about 26 MPG. Now around town I'm getting about 17 and have for the past month. I'm a lead foot, so that is what I expect to get for MPG.

Conclusion: My car wants a tune with the TBS installed. I know that not everyone is getting the same results as me, but some are. Just sharing my experience.

#49 ·
A long interesting thread. So, not to rekindle difference of opinion, what is all of your take on a TBS with gaskets from Throwdown Performance for a 2013 GenCoupe Track? Yes, all cars are different but will I experience the low mpg and/or lack of performance as well? I do have a canned tune from SFR with CBE with Test Pipes, Injen SRI.

#50 ·
Lots of posts in this thread going in a lot of directions like was called out.

I don't think the gains would be substantial, if at all prevelant by doubling actual TB spacers. As mentioned, you'd be better off porting your IM and using the TB spacer to help slightly increase volume, reduce heat, and use as a tap for any gauges, etc.

Typical gains are not huge, slight increase in throttle response and a few extra hp. Regarding a 11 mpg drop after a spacer, I'd really have to see the car, but you may want to check things through. That is not typical, typically this would slightly increase your MPGs when being use the same and really only drop MPGs if your driving habits changed (similar affect to adding an intake and then flooring it more often to hear it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.