Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Video shows everything. In general:

1. There is SOFT CUT instead of HARD CUT, what implies **** problems.
2. Redline is 6800 instead of 7200
3. Sport mode shifts very early - have read it's normal in this car but shouldn't sfr tune change it a bit ?

My car is in Europe so things are not so easy to solve, but I've just send TCU files to SFR and we will see. Earlier, SFR told me that they had checked in their system ECU tune they uploaded to my unit and it should be everything allright. May they just haven't uploaded it by mistake and my ECU remains untuned ? This 6800rpm soft cut looks for me like it's connected more with ECU than TCU. What do you think guys ? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
99 Posts
I have SFR tuned too and the first time around their higher RPM redline allowed me to blow up an engine. In your case there definitely seems to be an issue with the power being cut around 6800rpm. Is there any boost when above 6800rpm? The throttle drops down to the floor.
Have you messed with the TCU?
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have SFR tuned too and the first time around their higher RPM redline allowed me to blow up an engine. In your case there definitely seems to be an issue with the power being cut around 6800rpm. Is there any boost when above 6800rpm? The throttle drops down to the floor.
Have you messed with the TCU?
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I think this what is happening at 6800 is just typical stock soft cut, which was not properly removed by SFR. But they said they checked ECU tune uploaded for me and should be allright and asked to send them TCU files. I still think it's ECU, not TCU issue as the same soft cut redline is in M/T genny (not sure if I'm right). Would be great if anyone could tell me if this kind of redline can be connected more with ECU or TCU.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
604 Posts
Could be wrong, but you need a custom tune to hit the higher redlines I think. I don't believe the canned ecu tune will change what the the transmission tcu computer will shift at.
Also, it took a few days for mine to settle down and shift at red line.

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
99 Posts
SFR let's you raise the engine rev limit with their canned tunes, it's an optional $.
I think the tune they got you is 💩 because even if the TCM controlled when it shifts your are getting weird rpm drops and hangs. Like two systems are not properly configured or synced.
Do you have the OEM ecu to test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SFR let's you raise the engine rev limit with their canned tunes, it's an optional $.
I think the tune they got you is 💩 because even if the TCM controlled when it shifts your are getting weird rpm drops and hangs. Like two systems are not properly configured or synced.
Do you have the OEM ecu to test?
I'm not sure about what drops and hangs you are talking. I've sent my ECU to modyfi so it's the only one I have. However I think that OEM ecu would behave exactly the same, redlining it at 6800 with soft cut. Wasn't it an issue with stock manuals that they got this **** cut at 6800 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! So it looks like they didn't flash my ECU succesfully...but telling me they had done it.

In general, the main issue here is soft cut instead of hard cut. When I touch redline for even 0.01 sec I have no power after shift up. There is 0.5-1 sec lag.
However, it's still worth keeping the lower gear past 6800 despite dropping power/tq as long as you get better wheel torque with lower gear. For the best A/T performance first 3 gears shouldn't be shifted lower than 7200 RPM. But I'm not sure how the oil lubrification is working there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks! So it looks like they didn't flash my ECU succesfully...but telling me they had done it.

In general, the main issue here is soft cut instead of hard cut. When I touch redline for even 0.01 sec I have no power after shift up. There is 0.5 sec lag.
However, it's still worth keeping the lower gear past 6800 despite dropping power/tq as long as you get better wheel torque with lower gear. For the best A/T performance first 3 gears shouldn't be shifted lower than 7200 RPM. But I'm not sure how the oil lubrification is working there.
I never trusted the stock ECU or engine at high revs. Give it a listen in the summer time and it sounds like something might rattle off:/ Plus it makes no power at high RPM so I usually shift by 6k unless I'm really pushing the car.

·
Premium Member
16,436 Posts
The risk of raising the stock redline is the chance of:
1. valve float, potentially bending valves with pistons
2. the timing chain skipping teeth which will result in the result above

It has happened to a few people on this forum.

remedy:
1. basically rebuilding the head with better valve springs
2. replacing the timing chain, and using a better chain tensioner while you're at it.

I, personally don't see the reason to raise the redline, unless you're doing actual motorsports with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent my my sfr ecu in to get popcorn removed. I received a completely different ecu that was defective and the car won't start, when it does it won't idle and then shuts off.
Their customer service is embarrassing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts