Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you say about the effectiveness of the TCU tune for the BK2 3.8 and if it`s worth the money. Would you buy it one more?

I have the possibility to do the tune when i get the ecu tune next month. Acutally i don`t know if i should do the tcu tune as well beause i`m not really interested in holding the gears in sport mode but want to get faster and want to get a better and a more direct response behaviour to reach a higher top speed. What would you recommend to me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
TCU tunes are great for both driving in "D" mode and tip tronic/paddle mode. In the latter, they can not only change shift points but can eliminate the automatic shifting (the stock safety protection). This of course could lead to damage if you miss/forget to shift or wind it out too far. The TCU tune in "D" mode can also change the shift point fir better use of power.

This change is more of a benefit at low and mid range. If you are looking to see how fast you can get to 150mph (not to say you could), I suggest getting a different car and please move to Germany. Driving fast on the street does not have to mean top end speed. It the faster and quicker bursts at low and mid range where you want to and should feel it.

I have beat 600+ hp Mercedes (and ither higher hp cars) in stop light to stop light, 1000ft and 1/8mi but would never want to go side by side on a salt flat for top end. Just not gonna touch them...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you bsbullie.

I`m agree with you. But it`s fact that if your car will shift all gears at perhaps 7000rpm instead of 6700 (i think it`s the max. stock rpm from BK2?) you will be faster and in the upper gears you will have a better result. My problem is that the BK2 AT goes easily to 235-240km/h and than from one second to another your car won`t accelerate further. It`s like a anchor in the street. I will improve that and i`m worried about that only the ecu tune will help me in this way. That`s why i think about to do the tcu tune all in one.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank you bsbullie.

I`m agree with you. But it`s fact that if your car will shift all gears at perhaps 7000rpm instead of 6700 (i think it`s the max. stock rpm from BK2?) you will be faster and in the upper gears you will have a better result. My problem is that the BK2 AT goes easily to 235-240km/h and than from one second to another your car won`t accelerate further. It`s like a anchor in the street. I will improve that and i`m worried about that only the ecu tune will help me in this way. That`s why i think about to do the tcu tune all in one.
Not accurate to maxing rpms. Your car has a power band and you have to know where it peaks and you stop making power and start losing it. It does not make it all the way to the rev limiter. If you are getting a dyno tune, make sure you watch the curves on the screen and take pictures after each pull. If not a dyno tune, it will be harder to tell but I can tell you its peak is well short of 7,000 rpm.

If BTR is tuning, be very careful of how they tune the AFR...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Where on earth (and when) do you think you will be driving at over 140mph on the street?

Do everyone a favor (other cars on the road, pedestrians, innocent bystanders...and yourself)...please do not concern yourself with the top speed your car can make.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where on earth (and when) do you think you will be driving at over 140mph on the street?

Do everyone a favor (other cars on the road, pedestrians, innocent bystanders...and yourself)...please do not concern yourself with the top speed your car can make.
I can do it a lot of time. In germany it isn't a problem and when I have acar like a Genni than I will drive it with fun

·
Registered
486 Posts
I did make a disclaimer about unless in Germany, lol.

On the other hand, whike it may have the ability to hit these speeds, I do not recommend it. The car's suspension is not made for it. You would really need so many upgrades and improvements (about as much as I have spent on mine) and still I would still say if looking at driving at triple digit speeds, you should be looking into other European cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But does this still have to do with the effect and use of the tune? I think no. I only want to know the benefits from it. Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Benefits are better shift points for best use of power band (actual reaction also has to do with the gear in the diff) and true manual shifting when in paddle/tip tronic mode. Again, best use is in low and midrange, where most drive and where car will perdirm its best. The Gen Coupe is/was not made for the autobahn/salt flats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That anchor feeling is not because you need a tune, well sort of, it’s because the car is limited to 150mph electronically from factory, so the computer will cut power there, a tcu tune can remove that limiter and also remove the rev limit

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
That anchor feeling is not because you need a tune, well sort of, it’s because the car is limited to 150mph electronically from factory, so the computer will cut power there, a tcu tune can remove that limiter and also remove the rev limit
Mechanically the car is limited to about 155 mph. the ECU will hit the rev limiter before then and the speedo is intentionally off by about 2~5 mph (for liability reasons)

the rev limiter is there for a reason. Some on here have gone past the rev limiter, chain skipped teeth and valves were punched into cylinders.

If you want to reach a higher top speed, swap the diff out with one with a lower gear.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Mechanically the car is limited to about 155 mph. the ECU will hit the rev limiter before then and the speedo is intentionally off by about 2~5 mph (for liability reasons)

the rev limiter is there for a reason. Some on here have gone past the rev limiter, chain skipped teeth and valves were punched into cylinders.

If you want to reach a higher top speed, swap the diff out with one with a lower gear.
What are limiters ? Hahaha, yuk yuk.

This motors best power drops after 6800 rpm, this has been verified over and over again by the tuners that matter. You do however get your rev limiter pushed to 7000. Not for youi to go there, but to keep any tamping or interference away. Its quite easy to shift out at or near 6500.
But again in the case of the 8AT if you dont get a TCU tune a comprhensive one, you will never reliably get the performance out of these cars. Thats just a fact. The hows and whys are irrelevant.

OOOh there are plenty of places to go 150. I have another name for 150, its called 6th gear. All US and Euro vehicles are limited to 149. You must find a savant to release the dragon on anything. Your cost, your liability.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been reading up on tunes from a few diff vendors. I also searched and found many contradicting ways on the following question.
How can I tell if my car already has a tune? I read if it shifts at 7200 rpm it's tuned, then in another search that was called out as bogus info. So before any of us buying a used coupe, how can we tell if it is already tuned?
After reading so many searched topics, none seem to solid on saying how to check!
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I worked @Chrysler in Newark Delaware forever. I can tell you that the speedo being off a few mph isn't for liability reasons but rather specs. The slight variations in each manufactured car atones for speedo variations. From the tires, rims, on up the line all the way to the speedometer it's impossible to be 100% accurate.

Here's a good tidbit for you....police vehicles are "verified" speedometers. Police often "pace" you and can give you a speeding ticket with this method. ALWAYS TAKE IT TO COURT! Even being verified (meaning it's within 1% off) they are still 1% off. BUT as soon as the vehicle is driven the so called verified speedometer can be off up to 2 to 3% because the variations the car has now from driving.

Typically we passed Durango's with speedometer off as much as 3 to 4%.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is why police use multiple methods of speed verification, I.E. speedometer, G.P.S., moving radar, and visual speed estimation. The Ford Exploror P.I. has both digital and analog speedometers

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
I worked @Chrysler in Newark Delaware forever. I can tell you that the speedo being off a few mph isn't for liability reasons but rather specs. The slight variations in each manufactured car atones for speedo variations. From the tires, rims, on up the line all the way to the speedometer it's impossible to be 100% accurate.

Here's a good tidbit for you....police vehicles are "verified" speedometers. Police often "pace" you and can give you a speeding ticket with this method. ALWAYS TAKE IT TO COURT! Even being verified (meaning it's within 1% off) they are still 1% off. BUT as soon as the vehicle is driven the so called verified speedometer can be off up to 2 to 3% because the variations the car has now from driving.

Typically we passed Durango's with speedometer off as much as 3 to 4%.
Speedos have ALWAYS been off since... forever.

The acceptable margin of error for manufacturers is ~5mph.

Only thing that are closest to being accurate are traps at the track, and who knows how recent'y those have been calibrated

All forms of speed detection by police, have to comply to that standard or better. A way to get out of paying a ticket is to take it to court and request the officer, in court, to present the calibration slip of before you were tagged.
I've gotten out of 2 tickets doing this (I wasn't even speeding), and had my own dash cam footage, which wasn't even used.

Side note, A while ago, one of my friends got a ticket for going 60 in a 45.... thing is his car didn't have 4th or 5th gear, so he was just revving the nuts off of it, trying to go up hill. The officer said he visually and auditory clocked it. Friend called bs in court, and presented the estimate to replace the trans, that he got the day before the ticket. Judge took the office to a different room and assumed he was chewed out (that officer was known for doing stuff like this).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Original post still holds true. Speedos aren't off for liability reasons.
Not all police cars have radar/lidar and do and will pace ticket a car. (Totally legal in most states)
To many variables for any Speedos to be perfect.
We used a computer that plugged into the OBD port as the trucks went down the line. They checked hundreds of sensors and readings. It was a pretty cool tool. They disappeared the last day of the plant closing. Wish I thought of that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts