1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Need some help here:
2013 Gen Coupe 2.0T

My car overheated when driving pretty easy on it. I checked some basics and did not think my cooling fan was kicking on, I checked the fuse and sure enough fuse was bad- note this is part of multi-fuse.

I replaced the fuse but it was still not kicking on- I wanted to test fan and did something probably not smart. I unplugged the ect and used a paperclip to jump it in the plug. :(

Fan came on, so I know that works but it is now staying on. I did a quick drive to see it would kick off and noticed my temp gauge was jumping from normal to nothing, and then just nothing shows on gauge as if car is off.

I replaced the ect sensor hoping that may fix, but still no luck.

So this is where I am stuck- cooling fans stay on and my temperature gauge is not working- any help/ideas is much appreciated!

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,184 Posts
As far as I know the Gen Coupe high speed fan does not come on for coolant temperature. Kind of a bad engineering approach.

·
Premium Member
15,910 Posts
Just to check, did you check to make sure the coolant system was topped off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
While not a Coupe, could be similar problems.

A few weeks back I found out the relay for my fan on the truck had failed "closed." The switch that tells the ran to run doesn't carry the whole load of the fan motor. It's just a signal to the relay. The fan switch send a voltage signal to the relay, the relay closes and the fan runs.

Any possibility Coupes are set up the same way and you shorted out your fan relay with the paper clip trick?

No idea where the relay may be if the coupes are set up that way.

Should be a fuse, somewhere, that protects the fan circuit equipment/wiring. If you pull that, does the fan shut off? If so, I'd look for that relay and check it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While not a Coupe, could be similar problems.

A few weeks back I found out the relay for my fan on the truck had failed "closed." The switch that tells the ran to run doesn't carry the whole load of the fan motor. It's just a signal to the relay. The fan switch send a voltage signal to the relay, the relay closes and the fan runs.

Any possibility Coupes are set up the same way and you shorted out your fan relay with the paper clip trick?

No idea where the relay may be if the coupes are set up that way.

Should be a fuse, somewhere, that protects the fan circuit equipment/wiring. If you pull that, does the fan shut off? If so, I'd look for that relay and check it.
Paper clip was removed, and now plugged into the ect. Fan runs nonstop- I can check if it goes off when unplugging, but I think I tried before and it still stayed on even unplugged.

I'm thinking I shorted something as well- as temperature gauge not working- that's where my hunt is? Which fuse or what relay? Weird thing is that it worked for a little bit after going from nothing to normal temp then just nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also- My check engine light comes on with 2 conflicting codes: I get both the PO117 & PO118 codes that pop up.

I can clear them but they both come back pretty quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts