Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been contemplating buying Test pipes. I live in Maryland so emissions done every two years. I'm wondering if anyone tried emission testing and passed with test pipes on. I'm running stock headers,downpipe, with Solo cat back. Once the stage 1 arrives from 3point8 I want to head up to SFR for custom tune. I'm not sure the hp &tq gained would be worth me going under the car twice every two years to change the test pipes out/back in for whatever is gained, and will it run right with the stockers back in with the custom tune? (To go get tested if fails)
im staying stock headers and most likely stock dp as well.
if you passed emissions in another state with test pipes let me know too.
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since you are removing a secondary catalytic converter this would be a violation to emission and in theory shouldn't be allowed to pass the inspection. To be honest the inspection with a test pipe is really going to be dependent on who is performing the inspection. I know local to where I live, I can expect to fail at one shop but be able to pass at another. This is because some are more lenient than others.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's not allowed, my question was has anyone passed removing the secondary in Maryland . Here all they do is plug into the ecu port under the dash. I put my code checker with emisions checker on a friend's with no secondary and the light was green., This made me think it's possible..(he lives in Delaware)
On my code reader, I have three lights, red, green, and yellow. Red won't pass, yellow is a possibility, and green suppose to be yes.
I know the legality of the removing)replacing cats on cars. I'm just wondering if alot of people has passed without the secondary.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
There are usually 2 types of inspections.
there is the visual inspection, then there is the sniffing testing.

If Maryland requires visual inspection, then you will fail.
Sniffer- it would be a matter of getting the car to pass the NOX readings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do neither here on newer cars. Older cars the mirror the exhaust and hook up exhaust sniffer. Newer cars just get the computer hooked up under the dash. Last two times I went all they did was this test.
I own a 2005 gmc and they performed the exact same obd port test as well. Maybe if they suspect you changed something they use the mirror? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so here's a somewhat answer. Other forums (camaros,mustangs, and bmw) have similar questions about MD emissions.
A few camaro guys passed with NO cats whatsoever. Mustang guys reports passing without 2nd cats and tune.(guessing to turn if CEL?)

I am going to borrow some test pipes. Run them for a few weeks and then try to see what happens with emissions.
Also gonna consult with Jay (SFR) about the custom tune with and without secondary cats. Man, I really don't want a super loud obnoxious Exhaust. I'm thinking with Solo exhaust and test this may be loud AF.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember going into a bathroom in Wheaton Md and seeing a rubber machine that somebody named "State Police Uniforms" There r places were running close to straight pipes.Still there are d/head cops wanna be famous.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I decided after reading other forums to just go ahead and buy test pipes and see what happens, I'm having a hard time figuring out what one to buy.
I do want resonated for a few reasons.
I'm guessing buy whatever diameter my exhaust is already.
Stock downpipes with Solo exhaust.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry dude you live in a prick-ass lefty state.
This is what my Gen sounds like with custom headers, NOCATS at all, no resonators, single huge titanium exhaust.

I included the pic for all you millennials that wouldn't have any idea if I said Vought F 4 U Corsair.

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I decided after reading other forums to just go ahead and buy test pipes and see what happens, I'm having a hard time figuring out what one to buy.
I do want resonated for a few reasons.
I'm guessing buy whatever diameter my exhaust is already.
Stock downpipes with Solo exhaust.
Not sure about ur resources.. Look into SeoulfulRacing (SFR USA)........ 2013 3.8 Track here..... Jay at this website did my tune. Never made a purchase without his advice. I asked him about headers, downpipes, test pipes----said go ARK. He is super knowledgeable about the Gen Coupe. Answers are short but sweet, to the point.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
I remember going into a bathroom in Wheaton Md and seeing a rubber machine that somebody named "State Police Uniforms" There r places were running close to straight pipes.Still there are d/head cops wanna be famous.
All cops can do is enforce you to get the car inspected. THEY AREN'T EMMISSIONS AUTHORITIES, otherwise they would have it tested within the day, which wouldn't make sense.
And unless a cop can see the pipes, by peeking under the car, all they are going off of just a guess.

Unless the car isn't terribly loud, or you aren't driving like a dbag, then a cop shouldn't have any reason to pull you over.... (unless they need to make quota)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure about ur resources.. Look into SeoulfulRacing (SFR USA)........ 2013 3.8 Track here..... Jay at this website did my tune. Never made a purchase without his advice. I asked him about headers, downpipes, test pipes----said go ARK. He is super knowledgeable about the Gen Coupe. Answers are short but sweet, to the point.
Yup, been there done that. Have canned tune from Jay, waiting on my PNP manifold and TB then headed his way for custom.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All cops can do is enforce you to get the car inspected. THEY AREN'T EMMISSIONS AUTHORITIES, otherwise they would have it tested within the day, which wouldn't make sense.
And unless a cop can see the pipes, by peeking under the car, all they are going off of just a guess.

Unless the car isn't terribly loud, or you aren't driving like a dbag, then a cop shouldn't have any reason to pull you over.... (unless they need to make quota)
I had a Rising Sun, MD cop pull me over in my SRT-4 bitching about no muffler on the car. I argued with him for 10 minutes these cars don't have mufflers from the factory.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Just google:
stock exhaust gets ticket

Cops can't really ticket you for anything emissions relates, except for how loud it is.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But they can issue an inspection ticket.
In MD it does (or at least back the it did ) say That if a car has a muffler from the factory you cannot remove except to replace. It was under noise ordinance..I think? This was back in the mid 2000's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently it still on the books.

22-402. (a) Every motor vehicle with an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person may use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts