Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 2577 Posts

·
Leaving to BMT - March 27
132 Posts
CrookedH, so If the internals aren't forged, then they probably didn't upgrade them? I know I've been reading that the rods are the weakest part of the first gen Gen Coupe motor and seem to be the thing to go ... If I'm to build up a turbo motor, I will want to make sure my block can handle more than whatever HP I want to put down. Might as well do it right the first time, you know?

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
CrookedH, so If the internals aren't forged, then they probably didn't upgrade them? I know I've been reading that the rods are the weakest part of the first gen Gen Coupe motor and seem to be the thing to go ... If I'm to build up a turbo motor, I will want to make sure my block can handle more than whatever HP I want to put down. Might as well do it right the first time, you know?
A few members have already shown the current 2.0T can hold 400whp with the stock internals. It's just the consistency that's in question. With cast rods you just can't say every car will be the same. Technically the rods in the new 2.0T could be upgraded even if they're still cast but you'll still run into the consistency issue. The only true way to get a "bullet proof" bottom end is to go with forged rods. I think we've seen as many spun bearings and fried piston rings as rod failures on the current 2.0T. I wouldn't even worry about internals with the current 2.0T until you're getting close to the 350whp mark. There are more than a handful of 2.0Ts currently making 340-360whp without adding a window to the block.

After reading the post from Control Freak on the last page it doesn't seem Hyundai did anything with the internals unless they just omitted it from that info. Omitting that info would be strange since they seem to have mentioned every other change/improvement they made to the drive train and power plants.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hundreds of reflashed coupes prove that the current internals have no issue handling 250-300whp, which is more than the. 13 20t will make on stock trim. If Hyundai did use the same turbo as the sonata the 2013 wont be making much more than 300whp without a turbo swap. The only way the engine will be better is if they went with forged internal which would up the cost...
Don't shoot the messenger. Also, the operative word is "reliably". It is not out of the realm of pissibility that the current 2.0T could withstand Hyundai's bench testing. Remember, Hyundai has to warranty these engines for 100,000 miles.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger. Also, the operative word is "reliably". It is not out of the realm of pissibility that the current 2.0T could withstand Hyundai's bench testing. Remember, Hyundai has to warranty these engines for 100,000 miles.
But the messenger delivered a 3rd hand recolection of a message nobody has been able to produce an original of... I've seen many people mention "Hyundai said blah blah blah" but nobody has been able to show proof of that.

El_Stig has been reflashed and making like 240whp (270-280HP) since about day 1 PowerAxel was available and is currently in the 75K miles range on his coupe, maybe more, without breaking anything. I ran 230whp from 1200-16K miles, 300whp from 16K-36K miles, and ~330whp from 36K-45K miles now. The current 20T is more stout than some think. BoostedPSE, iirc, said he's put like 15K miles on his coupe with 400whp too.

Unless Hyundai went forged I can't see the "new" 2.0T being any more realiable since the current coupe is only limited by the inconsistency of cast rods, which all cast rods suffer from.

·
Registered
112 Posts
But the messenger delivered a 3rd hand recolection of a message nobody has been able to produce an original of... I've seen many people mention "Hyundai said blah blah blah" but nobody has been able to show proof of that.

El_Stig has been reflashed and making like 240whp (270-280HP) since about day 1 PowerAxel was available and is currently in the 75K miles range on his coupe, maybe more, without breaking anything. I ran 230whp from 1200-16K miles, 300whp from 16K-36K miles, and ~330whp from 36K-45K miles now. The current 20T is more stout than some think. BoostedPSE, iirc, said he's put like 15K miles on his coupe with 400whp too.

Unless Hyundai went forged I can't see the "new" 2.0T being any more realiable since the current coupe is only limited by the inconsistency of cast rods, which all cast rods suffer from.
Your argument goes on and on because we're all too lazy to search. The person's forum name is theironmonk and he had a direct line of communication with Hyundai's engineers. This information is posted in the 2nd speculation thread.

http://www.gencoupe.com/914742-post4241.html

Some confirmed info I just got

The turbo is a modified TD04HL-19t just like the sonata. Though engineers refused to talk about potential they did slip up later and said that it will probably tolerate 100 more hp than the current turbo.

The engine is basically the sonata engine, but with a theta 1 head. Still an open deck, but with beefier internals than the current GC.

When the engineers were asked if the turbo could be backwards compatible their response was "the older engine could not handle the long term stress of the larger turbo"
I'm sure you'll find a way to spin this quote...but common sense tells me it's how hard you drive your car, not how far you drive it. So telling me someone drove their car for so many miles with 400whp is anecdotal. I'll turn right around and show you youtube videos of modified 2.0's blowing their engines...which is also anecdotal. So ignore all that and look at the facts... facts that come directly from the engineer.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Your argument goes on and on because we're all too lazy to search. The person's forum name is theironmonk and he had a direct line of communication with Hyundai's engineers. This information is posted in the 2nd speculation thread.

http://www.gencoupe.com/914742-post4241.html

I'm sure you'll find a way to spin this quote...but common sense tells me it's how hard you drive your car, not how far you drive it. So telling me someone drove their car for so many miles with 400whp is anecdotal. I'll turn right around and show you youtube videos of modified 2.0's blowing their engines...which is also anecdotal. So ignore all that and look at the facts... facts that come directly from the engineer.
It's still not a true quote from Hyundai but Ironmonk has shown to be pretty accurate with the info in the past so that's just about as good.

Finally you show you're worth something on the forums.... Not sure how I could, or would spin that quote, your previous attempt to call me out showed that you're the spin doctor adding buts and ifs to everything simply to cover your own ass when you were proven wrong.

How you drive the car is definitely a factor but does anyone who mods their car to double the factory power levels NOT push the car at least a few times a week? Hell, I usually drive like a jackass at least for a few mins daily. I don't think my car has seen a day without being floored since I bought it. I'm pretty sure a good portion of the blown 2.0Ts we seen is from a lack of a good tuning solution, poor quality control from Hyundai, and the inconsistency of cast rods. Beyond Redline mentioned a couple years back that they've seen stock boost 2.0Ts go south as well, so it's definitely not only related to power levels or tunning, unless Hyundai did a piss poor job of tuning the 2.0T from the factory.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I knew I read that somewhere. Anyway, it really doesn't matter as I'm sure tuners will open up the "new" 2.0T to see what they are working with as soon as they get a chance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's till not a true quote from Hyundai but Ironmonk has shown to be pretty accurate with the info in the past so that's just about as good.

Finally you show you're worth something on the forums.... Not sure how I could, or would spin that quote, your previous attempt to call me out showed that you're the spin doctor adding buts and ifs to everything simply to cover your own ass when you were proven wrong.

How you drive the car is definitely a factor but does anyone who mods their car to double the factory power levels NOT push the car at least a few times a week? Hell, I usually drive like a jackass at least for a few mins daily. I don't think my car has seen a day without being floored since I bought it. I'm pretty sure a good portion of the blown 2.0Ts we seen is from a lack of a good tuning solution and poor quality control from Hyundai. Beyond Redline mentioned a couple years back that they've seen stock boost 2.0Ts go south as well, so it's definitely not only related to power levels or tunning, unless Hyundai did a piss poor job of tuning the 2.0T from the factory.

lol, I just moved from ATX back to Houston... Anyway.
In my undergrad years, I studied Shaft design in my Mechanical Engineering Degree. So, as for shaft life goes, engineers fights fatique by designed to Infinite life cycle design, but in real life we use 10^9 cycles.

In a given material, shaft (not only shafts) fatique is a main fuction to maximum stress and nominal stress. But of course it is not limited to this two varibles. But as you increase maximum load, fatique increase. Engineers either have to increase diameter or change material to fight fatique, which also known as cyclic loading. O and safety factor plays a major role as well.

So increase your power in engine, will decrease shaft life if diameter/material not changed. So, the question is how long before the shaft fails...

·
Leaving to BMT - March 27
132 Posts
So if someone were to "bullet proof" their motor, they'd be looking at aftermarket rods, bearings and pistons? Kinda like a BR Stage 2 or 3 short block

·
Out of SIDI into GDI
84 Posts
So let me get this straight.. the rumor so far is that the 2013's engine is basically a turbo sonata's engine but with beefier internals? Anyone know what those "beefier internals" consist of?

Also, anyone have any info on what ecu will be in the 2013's yet?

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Why do you need a back up camera?
X2... I can see maybe needing one if you're driving a behemoth SUV but "needing" one in a compact sport car seems a bit much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't think this has been posted yet::gc-Popcorn_Smiley_b

POWERTRAIN ENHANCEMENTS
Both Genesis Coupe engines receive significant technology upgrades, backing up its new design statement with impressive performance gains. The 3.8-liter Lambda DOHC V6 engine adds sophisticated direct-injection technology, adding 42 horsepower (a generous 14 percent increase) and 29 lb.-ft of torque (an eleven percent increase). Peak horsepower rises to 348 at 6,400 RPM, with peak torque increasing to 295 lb.-ft. at 5,300 RPM on premium fuel. In addition, lambda-engine anti-knock technology gives this V6 the versatility to run on regular fuel. This new direct-injected engine will easily propel the Genesis Coupe from zero to 60 mph in the lower five-second range on its way to an impressive 149 mph electronically-limited top speed. The Lambda V6 intake system also now employs an intake sound induction pipe into the cabin to ensure this engine’s aural character matches its visceral appeal.
I tip my hat to you good sir. :bowdown:

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
731 Posts
Not sure if anyone's commented on the guages in the center stack, and I haven't the time to read all few hundreds of pages. I would have liked to see the three guages up in top center where the two electronic things are now(torque and MPG meters) instead of moving everything around. With the guages so low, it will be next to impossible to do agressive driving and take your eyes completely off the road to monitor them.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
So ignore all that and look at the facts... facts that come directly from the engineer.
Hyundai also said that the OEM 18s wouldn't fit over the Brembos. Wrong. Said the V8 wouldn't fit too. RMR proved that wrong. :D

So let me get this straight.. the rumor so far is that the 2013's engine is basically a turbo sonata's engine but with beefier internals? Anyone know what those "beefier internals" consist of?
No. The Sonata is GDI. The coupe won't have that in the 2.0. Only the 3.8. My guess would be upgraded rods, but we won't know till someone does a teardown.

·
'11 3.8 Silverstone
961 Posts
Looks like the may have changed the spring rates/damper valving, but does anyone know if the suspension design remains the same? (So coilovers designed for 2011+ models will bolt right up)

121 - 140 of 2577 Posts