Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys...I'm really new when it comes to exhaust. I've been search the forum for info on exhausts. obviously a few of the favorites are magnaflow, ark, cnt, stillen ect.. however I just love the look of the magnaflow's black staggerd tips, also I'm looking for an exoitic sound simlar to that of higher end sports cars, I know I wont get the exact sound but close enough is fine... however I've arrived with a few unaswered questions

1) I've been trying to find a site to buy the magnaflow exhaust and they are all selling the polished steel tips? DO the tips just blacken over time or where do I find the setup up that has the black tips?

2) in terms of preformance, does the set up on the magnaflow improve it... I know it does increase horse power, however its heavier at the same time.

3) I really only want the magnaflow exhaust becuase the tips just look great. If I could I'd have a CNT exhaust with magnaflow tips lol has anyone done any thinng like there were they build sorta a half one company half another set up.

4) what is the most exocit clean sounding exhaust. in your guys opinion. I really dont want my car sounding like a striaght piped mustang if you get what I mean.

Ps I plan on adding ark test pipes..

·
Registered
187 Posts
1) Tips will get dirty over time, but you can clean them.

2) Depends on the setup you go with. A true dual exhaust will probably be heavier then your stock setup. You do gain some HP/TQ and also gain some beautiful tones as well. However, coupling an after market exhaust with a tune/reflash will net more gains then doing so with the stock setup.

3)Dont do half and half, just go fully with one company.

4)I got my exhaust custom fabricated at an exhaust shop. True dual setup with two very small magnaflow mufflers and the magneflow tips. Total costed around $550 and was worth every single god damn penny. I love the sound of my car!

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
Hey guys...I'm really new when it comes to exhaust. I've been search the forum for info on exhausts. obviously a few of the favorites are magnaflow, ark, cnt, stillen ect.. however I just love the look of the magnaflow's black staggerd tips.. however I've arrived with a few unaswered questions

1) I've been trying to find a site to buy the magnaflow exhaust and they are all selling the polished steel tips? DO the tips just blacken over time or where do I find the setup up that has the black tips?

2) in terms of preformance, does the set up on the magnaflow improve it... I know it does increase horse power, however its heavier at the same time.

3) I really only want the magnaflow exhaust becuase the tips just look great. If I could I'd have a CNT exhaust with magnaflow tips lol has anyone done any thinng like there were they build sorta a half one company half another set up.

1. I have only ever seen the magnaflow with the polished tips. If you're finding magnaflow exhausts with black tips, that's probably just because they're dirty...

2. Probably not much. Gain a bit of power, but yes it'll be a little bit heavier than stock. Biggest reason for exhaust is for the sound.

3. Sure, if you buy both systems you could easily have a shop cut off the tips and weld them onto the CNT...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys...I'm really new when it comes to exhaust. I've been search the forum for info on exhausts. obviously a few of the favorites are magnaflow, ark, cnt, stillen ect.. however I just love the look of the magnaflow's black staggerd tips.. however I've arrived with a few unaswered questions

1) The tips will eventually get dirty, but you can always order Black Chrome tips from GCTuner (ProjectJayden) here's the link:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Ractive T820B : GC Tuner, Hyundai Genesis Coupe accessories and Upgrades

2) I have the Magnaflow CBE and its definitely lighter than OEM. The OEM parts are ridiculously heavy! And definite increase in power from the Magnaflow.

3) Magnaflow's tips are awesome! BUT CNT has the same size tips if that's what you're focused on or looking at. They're both running 4 inch tips so the appearance is almost the same! Just a thought of course, but hey if you want the CNT exhaust with Magnaflow tips, hack away my friend! :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
i have the Magnaflow CBE for my 3.8 and coupled with the R2C sri, the sound is unbelievable. The combination sounds like your running headers. The best sound kicks in at about 2000-2100 rpm and then again just past 3000 rpm. The tips are a thing of beauty and you cant beat the price and that it comes with a lifetime warranty!

·
Banned
22 Posts
1. I have only ever seen the magnaflow with the polished tips. If you're finding magnaflow exhausts with black tips, that's probably just because they're dirty...
Same here. I've been researching this exhaust for a while and have only seen it with the polished tips, so I'm going to say any black tips are just dirty. It has a great sound though, its the exhaust I picked out for my GC! :)

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
4)I got my exhaust custom fabricated at an exhaust shop. True dual setup with two very small magnaflow mufflers and the magneflow tips. Total costed around $550 and was worth every single god damn penny. I love the sound of my car!
^^ this is what u should do!! Best bang for ur buck and YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
187 Posts
^^ this is what u should do!! Best bang for ur buck and YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!!

Yes, and if you decide to go down the test pipe path, the exhaust shop might be able to do it. Mine made me leave the scene while they did it, for legal purposes. Putting the OEM secondary cats back on is also very easy. If I get a chance, I can take a picture of what the mufflers look like under my car.

·
Registered
908 Posts

^ Agreed.

I replaced the factory crossflow muffler with a Flowmaster 80-series Crossflow, retained all the original hangers and flanges. Picked up the tips that I liked (At the time, lol), which also happened to be Flowmaster. All total spent, spent less than $300, including the exhaust shop labor.

It's gotten a lot of compliments and it's different from the norm. I'll eventually get around to adding the Megan mid-pipe to make it more of a cat-back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is the most exocit clean sounding exhaust. in your guys opinion. I really dont want my car sounding like a striaght piped mustang if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
908 Posts
what is the most exocit clean sounding exhaust. in your guys opinion. I really dont want my car sounding like a striaght piped mustang if you get what I mean.
When I was looking at CBEs, I liked the Sterlin F1 the best out of all them (Ark came in a close second):

Price wise I could never justify it.

For comparison:

Mine is probably more brash/American than what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I am one of a very few coupe owners who has the Agency Power exhaust, switched from Injen. I got it through ECS tuning last week for 859 shipped. It's a similar design to the stock/OEM exhaust except;

It's only 35lbs including the boxes, so I figure about 30lbs for the unit itself, which is a 28lb weight reduction.

It's a 3 inch mid pipe, with the Y-pipe being nearly 2.5" at the Y and increasing to 3" at the stem.

Quad tipped exhaust, tips are a tad smaller, but it looks similar to 84FordMan's flowmaster tips.

Also and extremely important is that its 321 steel, which incorporates more Ti that traditional stainless. This means it's much less prone to rust than any other unit.

I can't comment on sound because I have a leak by the header, the flex pipe has a gaping hole, lol. It gets replaced this Friday.

I will say Ark does sound awesome and if you call them they will offer a good price over the phone. Make sure to tell them youre a forum member.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I like the exotic sound... but I still like hearing the rumble of the 3.8 come through... Ive never heard th ark exhaust in person but I know its supposed to sound great. I just don't like where the sound feels fake (if you get what i mean)

·
Frrunkiis!?
257 Posts
Speaking of exhausts, I got my magnaflow used, installed it and the first day or two it sounded pretty good. Now, 4 months later it sounds like a 4cyl. It also is inconsistant. Sometimes its loud sometimes its not...so wierd. Best way to describe how it sounds is like a 98 pontiac grand am if u guys know what I mean. Ive listened to so many vids on the forums of other peoples magnaflows or diff exhausts n mine doesnt sound like any of the vids ive seen. I dont know how I or anyone with an iq above 70 could have installed such an easy thing incorrectly? Could I have installed it wrong? Its just really wierd how its volume is so inconsistant usually on the quite side. Also, an exhaust should be loud when u first turn the car on when its cold and as it warms up it gets quiter right ? Mine is opposite. Its real quite when I first warm the car up n gets loudest when its at normal temps... im so wierded out/confused/frustrated. This one one of many things wrong with my car. It just doesnt sound like a v6 with an exhaust n at like 3500+rpm it gets completely qiute..all I hear is the engine. Could it b a leak somewhere? Plz help any1..will post vids if necessary

·
Registered
187 Posts
Speaking of exhausts, I got my magnaflow used, installed it and the first day or two it sounded pretty good. Now, 4 months later it sounds like a 4cyl. It also is inconsistant. Sometimes its loud sometimes its not...so wierd. Best way to describe how it sounds is like a 98 pontiac grand am if u guys know what I mean. Ive listened to so many vids on the forums of other peoples magnaflows or diff exhausts n mine doesnt sound like any of the vids ive seen. I dont know how I or anyone with an iq above 70 could have installed such an easy thing incorrectly? Could I have installed it wrong? Its just really wierd how its volume is so inconsistant usually on the quite side. Also, an exhaust should be loud when u first turn the car on when its cold and as it warms up it gets quiter right ? Mine is opposite. Its real quite when I first warm the car up n gets loudest when its at normal temps... im so wierded out/confused/frustrated. This one one of many things wrong with my car. It just doesnt sound like a v6 with an exhaust n at like 3500+rpm it gets completely qiute..all I hear is the engine. Could it b a leak somewhere? Plz help any1..will post vids if necessary
Post vids as that will help. The problem your going through sounds like what my friend went through. He bought a off brand muffler that was supposedly suppose to be a magnaflow muffler. One week later, the welding seems busted and his car sounded horrible.

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
You know, I've had my Mag CBE (shipped directly from MAG) for a few days now and I noticed the same thing.
When the exhaust is cold for the first few miles it sounds great. Low deep tone but doesn't drone in the cabin. All the noise is coming from outside the car.
After it warms up my low rpm power drones until I give it more throttle and then the drone turns into the nice low burble I wanted.

It sounds like a the exhaust is making contact with the frame and the exhaust vibration is coming through. I say it sounds like that but it's not because I've had that in other cars and you can tell when thats happening.

I'm suspecting one of the connection pipes between the rear half and the front half aren't pushed in enough so there may be a slight gap where those cuts in the pipe are that allow the one side to fit over the other and be tightened down. I'm putting her on a rack tomorrow and will inspect and retighten everything. I'll report what I find.

·
Frrunkiis!?
257 Posts
Post vids as that will help. The problem your going through sounds like what my friend went through. He bought a off brand muffler that was supposedly suppose to be a magnaflow muffler. One week later, the welding seems busted and his car sounded horrible.

I'll try n post a vid or two today or tomorrow...when I get some time...But damn you just got me even more worried then before. I'm pretty sure its all original from when I installed it...I hope lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here are some pictures of my setup. True duel and test pipes :) I love the sound

·
never use only drop once!
2,746 Posts
I had the CP-e exhaust on my car originally and that thing was incredibly loud. You could hear me coming from a mile away. Very poppy, very raspy, lots of drone, very aggressive.

I picked up the magnaflow and I love it. The ark does sound good, the sterlin sounds good, the injen sounds decent and same with the stillen but the magnaflow has the deepest tone out of all of them and there's really no drone which is great. Once you get to high load it gets extremely aggressive but under light throttle it's nice and quiet but still noticeable. It's definitely a huge improvement over stock, but your neighbors aren't going to hate you for having it. I constantly get compliments on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts