Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im new to the forum and was planning on purchasing a 2011 Genesis Coupe 2.0T. i was wondering what the pros and cons people have to say about this car. i test drove the car a couple weeks ago at my hyundai dealership, and feel confident on purchasing it, but the brand Hyundai set me back, Any inputs or opinions welcomed. Thanx

1,111 Posts
if the brand set you back then I think you should not buy it. In all honesty it should be about what YOU think of the car not what others think.

With that aside...you will hear that the 2.0 stock is slow and if you want some speed, go get a reflash, if you search the forum using the google search just located above one of the banners you can find pretty much anything and everything about the genesis coupe and welcome to the forum =P

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i knw its all about MY Opinion and all but i want to hear some pros and cons about the car. cost to maintain, has hyundai stepped it up with this car, and other things...

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
a brand is just bullshit you hear from people who don't know a damn thing about the car.

mercedes benz have some of the most unrealible POS's on the road, but their 'image' is good. same with audi. same with just about any top brand.

If you only wear ed hardy jeans, you're a brand nazi and should buy a more expensive car that is lessor of a vehicle, for the brand image you want.

if you're willing to turn of jersey shore and turn down your collar, buy the thing that you like driving.

·
Registered
331 Posts
a brand is just bullshit you hear from people who don't know a damn thing about the car.

mercedes benz have some of the most unrealible POS's on the road, but their 'image' is good. same with audi. same with just about any top brand.

If you only wear ed hardy jeans, you're a brand nazi and should buy a more expensive car that is lessor of a vehicle, for the brand image you want.

if you're willing to turn of jersey shore and turn down your collar, buy the thing that you like driving.
You do realize that Mercedes-Benz is ranked 3rd in Quality Study from JD Power & Associates, right? (#1 is Porsche followed by Acura at 2) Honda in 6th, Hyundai in 7th, Audi at 12, BMW at 16, Toyota falling to 21 with all their recent recalls, and Land Rover in dead last. EVERY brand will have their problems and each car is unique. Your biased and misinformed opinion about MB is not quite fair, but I guess to each their own.

However, I do agree with your statement that you should just drive what makes you comfortable and happy. There will always be people who will question your purchase... that's life.

i knw its all about MY Opinion and all but i want to hear some pros and cons about the car. cost to maintain, has hyundai stepped it up with this car, and other things...

I have the 3.8 Track and to date, it has been one of the best vehicle decisions that I have made for myself. Other than a squeaky driver seat that was fixed under waranty, the car has been flawless. What turns you off about the Hyundai brand? Hyundai is now the fastest growing auto manufacturer in the world and for good reason. They are pumping out great products while keeping their goal of affordability, while increasing quality and aesthetic appeal. I have many pros and little cons. My pros and cons will be different than yours. I wish my 3.8 Track had a back-up camera and memory seats and also wished that the steering column would telescope, not just tilt. But these things are overlooked because I truly enjoy the value I have for what I paid (well, I leased...) and there is nothing that anybody can say that'll change my mind about my decision becuase I'm happy with it.

What other car are you looking at besides the Gen Coupe?

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
Here's my experience:

• walked into the showroom having never heard of the Genesis before (was going in to threaten the dealership for harassment)

• Saw the Genesis

• Drooled all over the Genesis

• Mopped up mess

• Drove car

• Bought it same day

Hyundai has come a long way (that saying - I still LOVE Hondas and are my first choice over EVERYTHING).

I love my car. A bit inconvenient for my lifestyel and where I live (however, I'm just a picky b*tch and need to get over some things :rofl:). I love the way I can be grocery shopping and have people waiting for me by my car to talk to me about it. I love the looks I get (makes me feel pretty ) when I'm driving down the highway and get creepy construction dudes yelling "SEXY CAR" out their windows. I love the way it drives, handles, gives me everything I want in a vehicle.

Most of all:

I love the impression it gives of me. It looks like an expensive car and it makes me look rich!!! :D (I know, that sounds shallow, but when you used to drive an '87 CRX, this car makes me feel incredible!!!)

There are pros and cons to EVERY vehicle - Benz, Audi, Honda, Hyundai..... Ford (ok Fords are all cons).

I've had minor issues with mine, everything has been fixed, no questions asked. But the positive outweighs the negative.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts

x2

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 3.8 in November of 09, have not had any problems. Love it. If I had to find fault, the suspension is brutal on frost heaved roads at -30. But that is to be expected. Love the exhaust sound, love the acceleration. Hard to get used to the heads turning as I drive by, keep thinking I did something wrong or I know that person.

·
The whistles go WOO! WOO!
829 Posts
If this car is what you want (inexpensive, good looking RWD sport(s|y) coupe), then there's no better buy. If you want something different, then there are better cars :dunno:

This thread may be relevant to your interests:
Do you regret your purchase?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, since im a college student im looking for a car that has a sporty look and style but still maintains the power for under 30k. other cars i ve looked and test drove were the (Lancer GTS, Nissan Altima Coupe,) The hyundai beats out the GTS and Altima... ive discussed the topic with my buddy who owns a genesis and he told me to get the lowest base 2.0t and just mod it.

like i said before i was at the dealership weeks ago and was looking at the Genesis Coupe 2.0T Auto (since i fail at manual), and the service and hospitality there was amazing. They had offered me the 2011 model 2.0T Auto for under 20k ($19,569 to be exact). Is this a pretty good offer for this car? everythign is base..

·
The Dabbler
58 Posts
Yes thats quite a decent price. You wont find another rwd sport coupe in the same category for that price. I just bought mine a week ago (base 2.0T manual) But Ive been keeping my eye on them since they came out. So far Ive put 700 miles on it in a week. haha. No problems whatsoever. I think the power is pretty decent stock but I heard the auto ones lose a little giddy up. The car handles very good and I know its my opinion but looks like a car that costs about 10k more. The base model is pretty decently equipped as well if you dont mind the cloth seats and no sunroof. I got the base model cuz I love to modify cars and make them more a reflection of what I picture. Thats why the base model was perfect for me. It kept the payments low enough that I would have some cash to spend on future upgrades. So far I love the car. The pros:
Great handling
Great looks
Nice wheels/tires
Decent audio system (love the xm and bluetooth with steering controls)
Tons of leg room (Im 6'1")
Good highway MPG
lots of room for upgrades (love the turbo)
Warranty

Cons:
Still kinda a newer vehicle so may not have all problems sorted
Not out long enough to have completely accurate reliability data
Not as many aftermarket parts as a per say a mustang (but a lot more in the works)
May be harder to find the exact model/color you want if your not close to a major US city

·
Registered
83 Posts
just a warning, the auto gets very poor mpg.
+1

(3.8 auto) I really like mine, first car I've owned that puts a grin on my face every time I get in it.

I've had a few problems but they were repaired quickly by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
You should really learn how to drive stick. It's like the number one thing on the 'being a man' list. In the long run, i think you'll regret getting an auto sports car.

the auto:
is slower in nearly all cases except 0-60 (due to a 3rd gear **** required in the manual)
gets far worse mpg
sounds lame with an exhaust upgrade
people will silently laugh at you because its an auto.

Unless your left leg is bum, or you have no intentions on actually 'driving' the car and simply use it as transportation, there's really no good argument for an auto.

People always bring up stop and go... well, i'll tell you, i'd SO much rather be in a manual than in an auto in stop and go. Always having to cover the brake in an auto sucks ass.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should really learn how to drive stick. It's like the number one thing on the 'being a man' list. In the long run, i think you'll regret getting an auto sports car.

the auto:
is slower in nearly all cases except 0-60 (due to a 3rd gear **** required in the manual)
gets far worse mpg
sounds lame with an exhaust upgrade
people will silently laugh at you because its an auto.

Unless your left leg is bum, or you have no intentions on actually 'driving' the car and simply use it as transportation, there's really no good argument for an auto.

People always bring up stop and go... well, i'll tell you, i'd SO much rather be in a manual than in an auto in stop and go. Always having to cover the brake in an auto sucks ass.
ugh.. really?

get what YOU want

If it's all about how fast you can go, this is not the right vehicle auto or manual, there are plenty of faster cars out there (my bike does 60 MPH in well under 3 seconds, 11 second quarters).

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Don't buy a Genesis Coupe. Everybody on this forum hates them. That's why Gencoupe.com was created, to hate on the Genesis Coupe.

just kidding, go for it. You may be disappointed at first with the power of the 2.0, but with a few mods you'll be smiling.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Don't buy a Genesis Coupe. Everybody on this forum hates them. That's why Gencoupe.com was created, to hate on the Genesis Coupe.

just kidding, go for it. You may be disappointed at first with the power of the 2.0, but with a few mods you'll be smiling.
The GC sucks. You should get a Cobalt SS, driving down the road and get mad coochie.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
yes, really.

buying a "sports car" with an auto is like buying a pair of running shoes, with no laces.

·
Registered
997 Posts
yes, really.

buying a "sports car" with an auto is like buying a pair of running shoes, with no laces.
I figured buying an automatic sports car is like buying a fast motorcycle with training wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts