Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 r-spec and after putting 500 miles on it I started to hear it making some clanking under the hood so I started on my way to a shop to get it looked at and it seized on the way, no holes in the block or anything just locked up. So I'm here to ask is it worth having some one look at it to rebuild or just getting a used motor and swapping it, and I know hyundai had some problems with motors around this time, is there any recall I can take advantage of or am I just out of luck. Thanks guys appreciate your input

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bring it to your local Hyundai! My 2015 3.8 ultimate had rod knock similar sounds to what you experienced and they a rebuilding my engine under warranty even with a tuned ecu and exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bring it to your local Hyundai! My 2015 3.8 ultimate had rod knock similar sounds to what you experienced and they a rebuilding my engine under warranty even with a tuned ecu and exhaust.
Car is out of warranty already called a dealer to check if it had any warranty, sadly I'm on my own, but it's life just take the punch and push on

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many miles are on your car. I just bought mine second hand at 30k miles. It’s a 2015 so I’m not under powertrain warranty. They just approved my to fix it out of warranty yesterday

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The issue is labor cost. SOO,..rebuild her but forge build it. Dont payout for the same. Spend a little more and do her proper.
Sadly when the car blew up it was 750 miles away from home so I can't do the work myself or even tear the engine out and take a look myself, just had to get it to a mechanic

·
Sleeper!
849 Posts
Just bought a 2013 r-spec and after putting 500 miles on it I started to hear it making some clanking under the hood so I started on my way to a shop to get it looked at and it seized on the way, no holes in the block or anything just locked up. So I'm here to ask is it worth having some one look at it to rebuild or just getting a used motor and swapping it, and I know hyundai had some problems with motors around this time, is there any recall I can take advantage of or am I just out of luck. Thanks guys appreciate your input
Honestly it's really going to dictate on how bad the engine is from when it locked up. Most likely broke a rod/piston or both and that is what is preventing it from turning over... trust me have broken down and built enough of these engines haha. Hopefully the damage isn't as extreme to prevent you from being able to use it as a core to build from. You unfortunately won't know until you crack it open to see the extent of damage and will just need to assess from that point. Since your out of warranty, it's all going to come down to your budget and what you plan on doing with the car. You can find a good used engine online if your looking to stay within a specific budget or if your looking to build and need forged internals or any internals for that matter, I can definitely help you out with that and just let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly it's really going to dictate on how bad the engine is from when it locked up. Most likely broke a rod/piston or both and that is what is preventing it from turning over... trust me have broken down and built enough of these engines haha. Hopefully the damage isn't as extreme to prevent you from being able to use it as a core to build from. You unfortunately won't know until you crack it open to see the extent of damage and will just need to assess from that point. Since your out of warranty, it's all going to come down to your budget and what you plan on doing with the car. You can find a good used engine online if your looking to stay within a specific budget or if your looking to build and need forged internals or any internals for that matter, I can definitely help you out with that and just let me know.
Thanks a lot man, I'm expecting a call from the guy who has it some time this week and from there I'll decide what way to head, suck that the car was so far from home when it let go, would have been nice to be able to work on it at home and go from there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.