Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help diagnose this ticking noise for me? Engine sounds fine on idle and it only starts ticking at a specific RPM ~1.75. It will tick consistently at around there. Otherwise, it goes away. It has been cold recently and I let it sit for 3 days, pretty new to cold weather. Is it really possible to tick like this if I don't let it heat up? I drove it for 3 minutes, heard it, then turned back home and have been reving and testing it out for a few minutes. The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine, seemingly under the RSTurbo cover. I got the spark plugs and oil replaced (5W-30) last week. Anyone got a clue?

I also must add that the engine mounts need replacing, but I'm waiting to take out my transmission mount so I can have both of them polyfilled before i install the new mounts. Although I'm not sure if the mounts are responsible for this kind of ticking. Just putting it out there just in case. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8L R-Spec, Tuned by Alphaspeed, Suspnsion goodies
63 Posts
Did the noise start AFTER the spark plugs or has it been happening before?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spark plugs look correct from that part number I pull up on my side.

Was a fuel system clean done? It really sounds like injector tick but these cars are not known for that. Any Malfunction Lights on? Timing chain is a possibility HOWEVER, unlikely as the noise you recorded is not similar enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spark plugs look correct from that part number I pull up on my side.

Was a fuel system clean done? It really sounds like injector tick but these cars are not known for that. Any Malfunction Lights on? Timing chain is a possibility HOWEVER, unlikely as the noise you recorded is not similar enough.
nada. i had it inspected 2 weeks ago and they said nothing. i mean there was none of that ticking until earlier this week which is annoying

·
Registered
63 Posts
nada. i had it inspected 2 weeks ago and they said nothing. i mean there was none of that ticking until earlier this week which is annoying
I would try a fuel system clean. Like a full induction service and if it does not go away, have a Hyundai technician take a look at it. I don't know how well parts from amazon are but I'd be worried the spark plugs are not correct.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would try a fuel system clean. Like a full induction service and if it does not go away, have a Hyundai technician take a look at it. I don't know how well parts from amazon are but I'd be worried the spark plugs are not correct.
i planned on using some CRC valve turbo cleaner and fuel injector cleaners. but wait till my next oil change since i just had it changed. Would that not be enough? Or would i need a full on actual fuel cleaning service?

also do u recommend a hyundai technician over a local mechanic to check my engine components, etc.?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always recommend a technician over a mechanic. Mechanics throw parts at things. Technicians Diagnose.
It's up to you how you want to do it. But I would start with a fuel induction system cleaning from a dealer and go from there. If this were at my shop that is what we would start with after diagnosing and finding spark is good and coils are good. I know I probably don't need to say this but make sure there is the correct amount of oil in the car before anything else. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always recommend a technician over a mechanic. Mechanics throw parts at things. Technicians Diagnose.
It's up to you how you want to do it. But I would start with a fuel induction system cleaning from a dealer and go from there. If this were at my shop that is what we would start with after diagnosing and finding spark is good and coils are good. I know I probably don't need to say this but make sure there is the correct amount of oil in the car before anything else. Good luck.
Ugh I wanna stay away from stealerships. I’m gonna open up the engine myself with a friend. We’ll see what’s up with it. I don’t think it’s rod knock either bc the symptoms are completely different. Fingers crossed. It’s freakin bugging me not knowing what it is though.

·
Premium Member
15,999 Posts
Ugh I wanna stay away from stealerships. I’m gonna open up the engine myself with a friend. We’ll see what’s up with it. I don’t think it’s rod knock either bc the symptoms are completely different. Fingers crossed. It’s freakin bugging me not knowing what it is though.
You should try to find where the noise is coming from.

Take a looong screwdriver, and place the driver side of it against various area of the engine. Put your ear against the handle. try to find which area gets the loudest, doing this.

BUT, to me it sounds like its coming from outside the engine.
When cold, see if any of the heat shields or cover panel fasteners are loose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should try to find where the noise is coming from.

Take a looong screwdriver, and place the driver side of it against various area of the engine. Put your ear against the handle. try to find which area gets the loudest, doing this.

BUT, to me it sounds like its coming from outside the engine.
When cold, see if any of the heat shields or cover panel fasteners are loose.
Will do but after having someone rev it for me and listening to it it sounds like it’s coming from inside the engine in the front? Idk how accurate it is to diagnose sound without a screwdriver it just sound like it’s most likely coming from the front of the engine

·
Premium Member
15,999 Posts
Will do but after having someone rev it for me and listening to it it sounds like it’s coming from inside the engine in the front? Idk how accurate it is to diagnose sound without a screwdriver it just sound like it’s most likely coming from the front of the engine

·
Premium Member
15,999 Posts
Hey. I opened up the cover and the spark plugs are champion. Are these the wrong ones?
You "guy" is trying to put a fast one on you, if you paid for ngk/denso plug price.
When engineeres design the combustion chamber they practically design it around which spark plugs are going to be used.

The chain jumping timing, may be unrelated, but your "guy" might have had too much fun "testing" his work.

On the bright side. If power and engine operation seems fine, then you might have gotten lucky, and just need to replace the chain (not needing a head rebuild). Replacing the chain is not hard, it's getting to the chain to do the work, that's a PITA.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts