Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Just replaced the timing chains in my 3.8 were streched throwing timing codes. Anyway back togeather and now my oil light comes on at idle. The slightest revs and oil light goes out. New oil and filter. Never had this problem before. I am certain oil pump gear and chain is all correct. any ideas. Fram oil filter. 5-20 oil. oil level good. no real noises engine quiet.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
No clue as to the issue, but hats off to you for tackling BK1 Lambda chains. I have to do this soon and I'm dreading it.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,406 Posts
I guess you need to know what the actual oil pressure is. Beware when trying to use something other than OE on the oil pressure sender threads as they are probably 1/8"-28 BSPT, not NPT 1/8 - 27.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a location I can hook a pressure gauge to that’s not under manafold? Really makes me hot as I never had an issue before. The filter is a non Hyaundai Fran one. I have read that people have had oil filter issues before. Was thinking to try to put old one in and see if corrects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
730 Posts
OE Oil filters are almost a must. Fram has a bad reputation.

·
Premium Member
14,954 Posts
The guide I had didn’t mention priming.

remove spark plugs, disconnect injectors, crank the motor 10 seconds at a time.

Maybe crank it 3 times with 30 seconds in between cranks to let the starter cool down.
Make sure to prefill the oil filter when you replace it just this time, since you had the oil pan off

·
Premium Member
14,954 Posts
priming with a tool would mean using a high torque drill with a socket attachment on the crank, and removing the spark plugs.

Basically the same principle, but I think you don't want to bother with removing the AC condenser and radiator out of the way to do that.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,406 Posts
When i did my 2L and turned the crank by hand after installing to check the cam timing marks this primed the oil pump. But I went around more than two revolutions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changed to factory filter. Same issue. Is possible it’s just a fluke and sensor went bad. Maybe taking front engine cover frees some gunk that got caught in sensor? Engine quiet at idle. Runs good

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Is there any truth to this post I found?

Not really. They recalled 2.0 in sonatas due to debris.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried a little thicker oil. Light off now however getting p0014. Ocv not happy with thicker oil. I give up. I did the timing chains due to a p0018. Couldn’t get it to pass emissions

·
Premium Member
14,954 Posts
I tried a little thicker oil. Light off now however getting p0014. Ocv not happy with thicker oil. I give up. I did the timing chains due to a p0018. Couldn’t get it to pass emissions

Take off the oil control valve and inspect it. Put it back on and test (could be a grounding issue with the valve)

If it's fine, then it could be the ocv filter. Good luck with that. You have to remove the head to get to it.

I don't know why hyun/mitsu/dodge designed the ocv filter like that, when all their other previous engines had it to where you just have to remove a bolt to get to it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have seen a few videos on YouTube where they show that those fram oil filters are absolute garbage...made with cheap materials. I have also had a problem a few times trying to get the correct oil filter from the dealer for my 2010 3.8. They had to go off of my vin# to make sure it was correct.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts