Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires do you all recommend for a 2012 3.8 Grand Touring? The current ones are Nitto Motivo's but I just picked them on the fly last time I had to replace them. I don't take my car to the track and use it for daily driving on a mix of local roads and highway. I also live in Texas so no need for winter tires.

Also, should I replace all 4 tires at the same time? My fronts have 4/32" tread remaining, but my rears still have 6/32" remaining.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its really personal preference, the type of car the coupe is nisnecessitates performance oriented tires. Harder/longer wearing compounds will generally sacrifice grip, possibly sacrificing some safety and control. Sticky summer tires, (you said snow wasn't an issue), work better but cost more. Im running Brigdestone RE11's, not the best or worst, but they seem to work and wear pretty well for what they are and they weren't too expensive. Id research Tire Rack .com, if your not hung up on brand names theres some good prices on some off brand tires, quality notwithstanding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would replace all 4 if changing brand or type within a brand . My personal preference is the Michelin Pilot Supper Sports , I just put another pair on the rear not long ago

·
Registered
644 Posts
I live in Texas as well. I run all season tires because the compounds for them last a little longer when you look at the treadwear ratings, and I also travel so sometimes I go colder places. I am currently running the General G-Max AS-03's because I got them on clearance at like half price or so on Tire Rack, but I have also run the Continental DWS06's and they work just fine as well and have a really high treadwear rating (meaning they typically last longer). You can look up all of the reviews and everything on Tire Rack to compare the two, but I didn't notice much of a difference with them myself. I would replace them in sets as they get worn out, i.e. front set and rear set, there is no use replacing tires that are not worn out and still have life left in them, and you will find the hardly wear out at the same rate being a rear wheel drive car.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its really personal preference, the type of car the coupe is nisnecessitates performance oriented tires. Harder/longer wearing compounds will generally sacrifice grip, possibly sacrificing some safety and control. Sticky summer tires, (you said snow wasn't an issue), work better but cost more. Im running Brigdestone RE11's, not the best or worst, but they seem to work and wear pretty well for what they are and they weren't too expensive. Id research Tire Rack .com, if your not hung up on brand names theres some good prices on some off brand tires, quality notwithstanding.
I currently have the RE11s but will be replacing soon. These have been discontinued and replaced with the RE71s. I had no complaints before the turbo but I need something stickier with the increased hp and torque.

·
shorttrack
1,642 Posts
I live in Texas as well. I run all season tires because the compounds for them last a little longer when you look at the treadwear ratings, and I also travel so sometimes I go colder places. I am currently running the General G-Max AS-03's because I got them on clearance at like half price or so on Tire Rack, but I have also run the Continental DWS06's and they work just fine as well and have a really high treadwear rating (meaning they typically last longer). You can look up all of the reviews and everything on Tire Rack to compare the two, but I didn't notice much of a difference with them myself. I would replace them in sets as they get worn out, i.e. front set and rear set, there is no use replacing tires that are not worn out and still have life left in them, and you will find the hardly wear out at the same rate being a rear wheel drive car.
Are you near Houston? As for me I run 285-35-19 RE71r's on the rear /245-40-19 front ...... 10.5x19 r & 9.5x19 f ....22 offset .Flared rear quater ,flared rear quarters .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm basically stock. Only mods are a K&N air filter and Fumoto valve lol. Needs are more for the weather rather than track performance since I don't take it there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those are summer compound tires, not all-seasons.

Are you near Houston? As for me I run 285-35-19 RE71r's on the rear /245-40-19 front ...... 10.5x19 r & 9.5x19 f ....22 offset .Flared rear quater ,flared rear quarters .
I'm in Austin. I run 275/35/19's in the back and 245/35/19's up front.

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are very good tires for year round in Southern/warmer states, dry and wet conditions. I have them on my S5 and I know a number of people using them on rear, all and front wheel drive and are extremely happy with them

·
shorttrack
1,642 Posts
Those are summer compound tires, not all-seasons.

I'm in Austin. I run 275/35/19's in the back and 245/35/19's up front.
I have a rear set of NITTO NTO5's not using because I bust them loose on the streets on just motor,nitrous hit on the street is just a smoke show.The RE71r's 285-35-19 hook up ,even during nitrous hit . If you were closer I'd give these NTO5's to you free .

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a rear set of NITTO NTO5's not using because I bust them loose on the streets on just motor,nitrous hit on the street is just a smoke show.The RE71r's 285-35-19 hook up ,even during nitrous hit . If you were closer I'd give these NTO5's to you free .
I mean, I can always make a trip down there. What's the tread life left on them? I can probably go *slightly* fatter in the back.

·
shorttrack
1,642 Posts
I mean, I can always make a trip down there. What's the tread life left on them? I can probably go *slightly* fatter in the back.
6 months worth .Not worth the trip .Good for track days at the strip or road course . As daily driver maybe 6 months as they are still a soft compound .I am also running 3.909:1 rear gear in my 2014 r-spec (standard tranny) so I light them up pretty easy .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts