1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently im running
Front 19x9.5 w/ 225/40r19
Rear 19x10.5 w/ 245/40r19

How hard do u guys drive your cars? Meaning do u guys take turns at like 60 plus mph and so on
Thnx for the input.

Also did u guys have a problem with the beads sitting. My tires have a small leak coming from in between the bead and rim. Already put bead sealant on and to no avail. Any help with that issue. This is my first time running stretched tires

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Currently im running
Front 19x9.5 w/ 225/40r19
Rear 19x10.5 w/ 245/40r19

How hard do u guys drive your cars? Meaning do u guys take turns at like 60 plus mph and so on
Thnx for the input.
Did you take the same turn @ 60MPH before the stretch? IF so then you should be able to do it after...

The contact patch doesn't change from stretch, sidewall will get a bit stiffer though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i also have some questions about stretched tires can i still drive aggressive i like to show off the power of my car sometimes and spin the tires is that ok to do with stretched tires ?

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
What tires are u running? Some tires are better for stretching. Yokohama s drives are some of the best. Yes I have driven the car hard with no issues. See sig for stats.

·
Registered
558 Posts
im getting the VarrsToen 3.3.2 19 9.5 front 10.5 rear and i have not decided get the +22s or the 12s if i get th 22s ima run 245/35f and 275/35r and if i get the 12s it will be 225/40f and 245/40 rear in s drives

·
Registered
580 Posts
those are the current wheels that i have in the +12 offset running 225/40r19s front and 245/40r19s rear. im having issues with the front tires leaking air where the tire seats to the wheel lol.

kamkaze right now im running the oem tires. the potenzas

·
I'm a wheel whore
106 Posts
heres a tip keep up wit hte PSI otherwise during the winter time, temp drops, you might get the tires pop'd off the wheel

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
GATuner, your sig does not makes sense with your car or your post. lol

·
For the love of drifting
818 Posts
You sure it's because of the stretch? No hole or nail stuck on your tire?

I'm running 235 on 9.5s and i drive hard plus drift my car every week. Never had problems so far. I usually run 30 to 32 psi.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
those are the current wheels that i have in the +12 offset running 225/40r19s front and 245/40r19s rear. im having issues with the front tires leaking air where the tire seats to the wheel lol.

kamkaze right now im running the oem tires. the potenzas
Pics!

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
i also have some questions about stretched tires can i still drive aggressive i like to show off the power of my car sometimes and spin the tires is that ok to do with stretched tires ?
totally useless

Stretch stiffens the sidewall and increases feedback, steering and throttle inputs. obviously if your putting a 215 on a 10" your not going to be auto-xing but stretch is very useful within range. 245 on a 10" is really not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm trying to get clarification on this issue.

If what you want is absolute performance and you don't care about looks at all (well actually you dislike stretched but are willing to sacrifice for performance) should you have any stretch at all?

The OEM's don't do it that's for sure.

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
^Depends on the purpose
Function isn't function isn't function.

What KIND of performance do you want?

·
Registered
580 Posts
i havent taken pics of the car yet i am waiting for my coilovers to come in before i take any pics.

i just bought 235/35r19s for the front. lol as soon as these wear im going back to 225/40r19s the 235's just dont look right lol

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
I'm trying to get clarification on this issue.

If what you want is absolute performance and you don't care about looks at all (well actually you dislike stretched but are willing to sacrifice for performance) should you have any stretch at all?

The OEM's don't do it that's for sure.
Every driver is different, there is not one ultimate way to set up a car. even in a race as specific as drag racing. they set up the car around the driver, not the other way around.

Best way to improve your cars performance = High Performance Driving School/Event

if your looking for all out performance you start out with yourself, begin to understand your driving style and what modifications could be made to accentuate it. I.E. if you use more front end grip or the throttle to steer through a turn, then you experiment with one part at a time adjusting the settings till you have time lap evidence that it actually makes you faster.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mine are stretched and having no problem what so ever......like everyone is saying its what you are going to prefer......simple answer to your question....with the above number ^ you dont have to worry about damage!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The thing is that I do not have the funds or the time to develop my ideal set up. Which is fine because it really isn't necessary as the tech work has been done to a large extent. At least good enough for me to improve my enjoyment in the canyons and get the most out of my set up.

I've done a bit of reading on this subject at motoiq.com (loads painfully slow btw) and my understanding is this: A very small amount of stretch is indeed beneficial for both handling feel and absolute traction. In short, the tire manufacturers have a range of rim sizes that they recommend for each tire. Pick a tire size to match your current rim that is either in the middle range of your particular rim rize or just one size smaller while still remaining within the tire manufacturers recommendations for rim size. Get it?

Also, the 'muffin poppin' look is quite bad for handling. This might explain why my buddies S2000 that is all set up w/ trick parts is an absolute handful on canyon roads w/ his 'muffin poppin' tires.

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
^I've heard the opposite runs true (for road courses anyways), you want a little bit of tire flex to improve predictibility.
Stretched (stiff) sidewalls will go the the breaking point, then immediately let go.
A softer (less stretched) sidewall will reach it's limit, then as it lets go, will still maintain more traction that the stiff sidewall, and will recover faster/easier.

The stiff sidewall is preferred for drifting because you want it to let go when asked, canyons I would assume are closer to a road course though..

But this isn't from personal experience and I'm not an expert, just what I've read mostly.

·
Resident Critic
841 Posts
Stretched tires are for the most part only useful for drifting, and stretch and poke.

The reason being is pretty simple, stretching the tire puts the sidewall in tension and doesn't allow for sidewall flex. This makes the breakaway point smooth and predictable, as well as reduces tank slapping because the tires don't just suddenly grab.

Flexible sidewalls, do allow for more mechanical grip because it allows the tire to flex over bumps and road imperfections, maintaining the contact patch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts